Facebook Experiment Altered Users State of Mind

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
Baresark said:
Strazdas said:
Baresark said:
I prefer my friends in the flesh, and everyone else should too.
i like something and you should like it too because i like it. thats what it sounds. there are people who actually like internet communication you know?
I didn't say I disliked it, I said I prefer the physical form of people. The main reason is that, as humans, we communicate in many different ways. Words on a screen does not and cannot do communication justice. The thing that people fail to realize about things like Facebook is that it's just a facade you put on. Perhaps I prefer my friends in the flesh and you don't is because I like people to see the real me as much as possible.
Just because you like it does not mean everyone else should though.
If you don't like it, that is all you. That's fine. But understand that humans have many ways of communicating and just in text format with a few pictures thrown in for good measure is very stunted communication. People are also pack animals, so the most natural thing in the world for a person without some sort of social anxiety or antisocial issues (not saying you, just in general) is to utilize all the forms of communication that is at our disposal. That is body language, tone, inflection, on top of the very complex language systems our species uses.

I'm not insulting people who spend a lot of time online, I do as well. I'm just saying that communication is much more deep and meaningful when we are able to utilize all of the means at our disposal to communicate. So, yes, I like it a lot. I'm actually very introverted. I can thrive in social situations out of necessity, but I sure do love to spend time by myself.

But, you do you. I didn't come on here trying to be holier than though or tell people how to live their lives, if we were face to face, you would never have even questioned the intentions of my original statement. That is how limiting this system of communication is.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Strazdas said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Honestly, conducting social experiments on its users in secret is probably one of the less unethical things Facebook has done. Hell, let's keep going; maybe we can finally get to the bottom of what makes Internet trolls tick... and figure out how to yank it out of their clockworks.
if there is something i learn from internet trolls, is that as soon as they realize whats happening they are going to destroy facebook. trolls are vengeful and have plenty of resources.
So what you're saying is that there would be no downside.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Baresark said:
But, you do you. I didn't come on here trying to be holier than though or tell people how to live their lives, if we were face to face, you would never have even questioned the intentions of my original statement. That is how limiting this system of communication is.
No, thats exactly what you did. here ill quote you AGAIN.

Baresark said:
Baresark said:
Do you understand why i have a problem with your post now?

Steve the Pocket said:
So what you're saying is that there would be no downside.
Only if you dont get caught in the hurricane

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Strazdas said:
Baresark said:
No, thats exactly what you did. here ill quote you AGAIN.

Baresark said:
Baresark said:
Do you understand why i have a problem with your post now?
You have a problem with my post because you chose to have an issue with my post. You should prefer to use all of means of communication at your disposal. If you don't, that is fine. And once again, if we were face to face, the intention of my post would not have been in question. You would have clearly picked up with my tone and my inflection that I was not telling anyone how to do anything. This is why just paying attention to words is an incomplete way of communicating almost any idea when it comes to the internet.

But I also get the sense (perhaps falsely) that no matter what I say, you are going to keep thinking about that very first post and dislike everything I say after that based on the my first post. I'm not looking to start fights, but I do no know that if I decide I don't like something someone said, I have to actually stop myself from pursuing any followup. If it consoles you, I am willing to clearly admit it sounded worse than it was meant to be.

Sheila Stith

Jul 12, 2014
I find it slightly ironic that in order to comment here I had to log in with my facebook info... That being said, it reminds me of what was done with movie theaters and the subliminal popcorn message in order to increase sales. Anyone here old enough to remember that?