Facebook Faces Koobface

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Faces Koobface

Facebook's [http://www.facebook.com] 120 million users are trembling with fear tonight as they face the vicious, predatory depravations of the destructive new virus known only as... Koobface.

Koobface is actually just the latest piece of malicious software that takes advantage of the feeling of security engendered by members-only social networks like Facebook. "A few other viruses have tried to use Facebook in similar ways to propagate themselves," Facebook spokesman Barry Schnitt told MSNBC [http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28065486/], adding that a "very small percentage of users" had been affected by these viruses.

But that rate will likely grow in the future, according to FaceTime Security Labs [http://www.mcafee.com/]. "They think you've got to log in with an account, so there is no way that worms and other viruses could infect them."

Koobface works by sending notes to Facebook friends of people with infected computers, with subjects like, "You look just awesome in this new movie." Recipients are then directed to a website, where they are told to download what is claimed to be an update of the Live.com [http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/]. Ultimately, the software attempts to gather credit card numbers and other "sensitive information."

Schmugar said McAfee hasn't yet figured out who is responsible for the virus, but said the software is continually being improved in order to stay ahead of security at Facebook and RLM Public Relations [http://www.myspace.com] CEO Richard Larmer, who threw out his PC after it became infected with the virus. "It was really bad," he said. "It destroyed my computer."

It amazes me that people still fall for this stuff. Admittedly, the typical computer user of today may not be as savvy in the ways of technology as they were 25 years ago when this stuff was still largely the domain of tech nerds, but look at it this way: If you woke up one morning, wandered out to the kitchen and noticed a bottle sitting on your counter labeled "Drink Me," would you?

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
I really enjoyed this article but I fear that this will create more panic than awareness.

I'll explain why ... most people on facebook (that I know) are not technologically savvy at all. They'll take any junk that is posted on one of their many walls and accept pretty much anybody onto their friend list. If indeed Koobface spreads like it is feared people will just panic ...

I see this article more as a reminder or an awareness notification. If you are about to download something from the internet, check if it is from a reliable source.

Any time I'm prompted to update one of my software programs I just go to the official web page myself, rather than using a direct link.

However (and I might be totally wrong here) I think most people that visit the escapist are somewhat "educated" in internet use, or at least they have built some experience.

Once more, nice article!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
RLM Public Relations CEO Richard Larmer, who threw out his PC after it became infected with the virus. "It was really bad," he said. "It destroyed my computer."
Seriously? I mean, seriously? He threw out his PC because he got a virus? Would he throw out his car if he got a flat tire too?

I mean, assuming he knew nobody at all that had any idea how to fix the mysterious blinky box, he could even have taken it to Best Buy and they'd have fixed it.

I hope he at least donated it, or sold it to someone who could fix it, instead of tossing it into a landfill somewhere.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The thing is, I've seen these "viruses" in action. It makes me laugh because they are so pathetic since most of them just spam posts on other people's walls that belong to the certain person's friends list. They go along the lines of "Hey, I just saw your picture on *insert virus link here*! Check it out!" And you look at that certain person's page and you see just how many other people hes said this to as well. Guess what? Its just about every single person on his/her friend's list.

This stuff is nothing new, most people know that they shouldn't click on everything on the internet. Good article regardless.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
Malygris said:
If you woke up one morning, wandered out to the kitchen and noticed a bottle sitting on your counter labeled "Drink Me," would you?
I'd quicksave, then drink it. Then, if it all goes tits up, I'd quickload and throw it into a furnace.
Yes, yes I would, solely because I wanna be able to shrink really small and go into a tiny door.
/dumb reference

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Virgil said:
RLM Public Relations CEO Richard Larmer, who threw out his PC after it became infected with the virus. "It was really bad," he said. "It destroyed my computer."
Seriously? I mean, seriously? He threw out his PC because he got a virus? Would he throw out his car if he got a flat tire too?

I mean, assuming he knew nobody at all that had any idea how to fix the mysterious blinky box, he could even have taken it to Best Buy and they'd have fixed it.

I hope he at least donated it, or sold it to someone who could fix it, instead of tossing it into a landfill somewhere.
He probably really did throw it out, considering he is in fact a CEO. He probably had the latest computer on its way to his office that day anyway.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Wow, I just emailed this article to my Dad. He and a lot of my family use it all the time, so this is relevant to his interests.

goncalobms

Nov 15, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
The thing is, I've seen these "viruses" in action. It makes me laugh because they are so pathetic since most of them just spam posts on other people's walls that belong to the certain person's friends list. They go along the lines of "Hey, I just saw your picture on *insert virus link here*! Check it out!" And you look at that certain person's page and you see just how many other people hes said this to as well. Guess what? Its just about every single person on his/her friend's list.

This stuff is nothing new, most people know that they shouldn't click on everything on the internet. Good article regardless.
Well, they seem pretty stupid to us, but the thing is... there actually people falling for it :s

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
goncalobms said:
Mr.Pandah said:

Well, they seem pretty stupid to us, but the thing is... there actually people falling for it :s
Yeah...*sigh* I think thats the sad part.

MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
Seen it. My friend got it, and I went over, and it had the Adobe version of MS Service Pack 3. It was fscked.

Feb 13, 2008
xitel said:
Wow, I just emailed this article to my Dad. He and a lot of my family use it all the time, so this is relevant to his interests.
I showed it to my cat and she snuck away to the garage.

She's not let me in there for weeks now, and I keep hearing sawing.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
xitel said:

Facebook, or the article? And also, that is why you do not teach your cat how to use doors. Or locks. Or a saw.

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
xitel said:

I hereby award you with the invisible "King of Nonsense" badge. Wear it with pride!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Reasons to not have a facebook or myspace #23: No potential virus problems.
Hrm... Perhaps it should go higher on the list...

Yx0que

May 20, 2008
WolfMage said:
Malygris said:
If you woke up one morning, wandered out to the kitchen and noticed a bottle sitting on your counter labeled "Drink Me," would you?
I'd quicksave, then drink it. Then, if it all goes tits up, I'd quickload and throw it into a furnace.
Yes, yes I would, solely because I wanna be able to shrink really small and go into a tiny door.
/dumb reference
Wow, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Malygris said:
It amazes me that people still fall for this stuff. Admittedly, the typical computer user of today may not be as savvy in the ways of technology as they were 25 years ago when this stuff was still largely the domain of tech nerds, but look at it this way: If you woke up one morning, wandered out to the kitchen and noticed a bottle sitting on your counter labeled "Drink Me," would you?
You underestimate the power of unbridled curiosity.