Facebook Faces Underage Gamer Lawsuit

RyoScar

May 30, 2009
Another example of a parent who can't raise a child properly and now wants money for their own mishap.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Samantha Burt said:
If the kid is buying a prepaid card with their own money, then it's not really an issue. Otherwise, it's still the parents' fault.
Mr.Pandah said:
Yes they can, but that also means they're using money to buy said cards...and whom are they getting the money from that makes it a big deal in the first place?
Mixed Signals?

If the child is taking money or purchasing without parental consent then I can see it as an issue for the parents. The article didn't really elude to that possibility though, Just credit cards. Maybe I'm missing how this process works.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
-.-

ya know, this is hardly surprising, the idiot parent deserve the credit card bill they get for not keeping an eye on they're kids.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
...Can I stay completely neutral on this and just say everything and everyone involved were completely and utterly...stupid?

I fucking hate facebook. I fucking hate kids. And I really fucking hate what pass as "parents" these days.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
There is a very simple solution to this: DON'T GIVE AN IRRESPONSIBLE KID A CREDIT CARD.

If you really want to let them buy some things online, create a checking account, put a little money in it, and give them the debit card. Tell them it's their money and to be responsible with it. Teach them that money is a finite resource.

Wait, never mind, that's too much work. Much easier to just let them put you thousands of dollars in debt.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Samantha Burt said:
If the kid is buying a prepaid card with their own money, then it's not really an issue. Otherwise, it's still the parents' fault.
Mr.Pandah said:
Yes they can, but that also means they're using money to buy said cards...and whom are they getting the money from that makes it a big deal in the first place?
Mixed Signals?

If the child is taking money or purchasing without parental consent then I can see it as an issue for the parents. The article didn't really elude to that possibility though, Just credit cards. Maybe I'm missing how this process works.
How is any of this mixed signals?

The article is entirely about the fact that kids can just purchase points without true parental consent and that it is too easy for them to do so. Regardless of where they get these "credits" from is besides the point. And yes the article did elude to there being some purchases without parental consent...or else there wouldn't be much of a case, now would there?

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
The article is entirely about the fact that kids can just purchase points without true parental consent and that it is too easy for them to do so. Regardless of where they get these "credits" from is besides the point. And yes the article did elude to there being some purchases without parental consent...or else there wouldn't be much of a case, now would there?
No no no, what I was saying is that The wording excluded the Redeem Cards and Only talked about the Credit based payment. I know It's all without parental consent and that that is the real issue. Maybe I just let that bug me too much.

Also the signals thing was about the two points counteracting each other, She saying the redeem points aren't much of an issue in this situation. You saying they are, especially not without consent.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
jdogtwodolla said:
Mr.Pandah said:
No no no, what I was saying is that The wording excluded the Redeem Cards and Only talked about the Credit based payment. I know It's all without parental consent and that that is the real issue. Maybe I just let that bug me too much.

Also the signals thing was about the two points counteracting each other, She saying the redeem points aren't much of an issue in this situation. You saying they are, especially not without consent.
Ah okay. I gotcha now. Yay misunderstanding!

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Wait, so you're saying If I have a child, I actually have to raise it too?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
UnderGlass said:
Andy Chalk said:
Bohannon filed the action [http://www.scribd.com/doc/90357135/Facebook-Credits-Removal] on behalf of herself, her minor son and "all others similarly situated," and is seeking to represent "all parents and legal guardians whose minor children allegedly made unauthorized purchases of Facebook credits from the minor's account." The suit alleges a belief that there are "thousands of members of the Class" and while it doesn't demand a specific dollar figure in damages or restitution, Bohannon's personal damages are pegged at "several hundred dollars." The suit also notes that in 2011 alone, Facebook users between the ages of 13 and 17 purchased more than $5 million worth of credits.
I'm not sure if this is a misquote or if I'm just reading it wrong but it sounds like she's upset that minors are making purchases with their own accounts. If it's against the law in CA then fine, I guess, maybe her 'damages' were to get her son out of the hole. Still, young adults wasting their own money on crap is hardly earth-shattering stuff.
The amount of times i have bought crap with in my bank account is ridiculous. Transformers Figures, Acorns on Ice Age Village for the ipod (only 30 at a time for £1.49, but still) and not to mention the amount of crap i eat day in and day out, admittedly i am 20, so i can do what i want, but if you trust your kid with his/her own Bank Account, then suddenly sue a company because of what the kid bought, you obviously didn't have trust in your kid to begin with, ergo, don't get him/her a fucking back account -.-

I hope Facebook wins this, admittedly something needs to change for minors being allowed to buy things, but generally, i hope they win.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Vrach said:
And this is pretty much like suing the shop when your kid grabs money out of your wallet and goes to buy himself a Kit-Kat. If your child took money from you without your knowledge, the problem does not lie in anyone but your own stupid, incompetent self, something you only prove further by blaming someone else for it.
Minors aren't deemed able to make financial transactions on their own, so in this case the right of the parent wouldn't be to blame the shop, but to declare the transaction (the buying of the kitkat) null and void.

It gets a bit more complicated when its eaten, but if a parent comes in demanding restitution on an item then the shop is legally obliged to do so.

And on another note: sueing a company because your kid did something he shouldn't have certainly reeks of bad parenting, but so far that smell is all we have to go on.
She might possibly be an awful parent, but conclusively stating such when you don't know anything beyond that she sued definitely makes you a douche.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Whatever happened to "Go online with the supervision of your parents" or "Come join us online, but ask your parents first". Or did that die out in the late '90s early '00s.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Dear Parents,

Facebook is not a nanny.

Spend time with your kids.

Alternatively, stop leaving your wallet lying around.

Sincerely,
Me.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Frivolous lawsuits like these are (one reason) why our justice system is so screwed up.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I'm gonna say the same thing I said regarding that Apple lawsuit with the smurfberries... How the heck do these kids have access to their parents' credit cards? Looks like you can't leave your purse lying around just anywhere in your home these days... Crafty little teens...

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
I don't see a problem here that couldn't be solved by some good old keeping your savings away from your children.

Why do people even give children credit cards? I've only ever had debit cards, and when I was young my parents were the only ones who were able to transfer money into the account it accessed. Control over what I spent. Easy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kid spending his own money on a game - kids fault.
kid spending his parents money on a game - parents fault.
Where does facebook come in?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Kargathia said:
Vrach said:
And this is pretty much like suing the shop when your kid grabs money out of your wallet and goes to buy himself a Kit-Kat. If your child took money from you without your knowledge, the problem does not lie in anyone but your own stupid, incompetent self, something you only prove further by blaming someone else for it.
Minors aren't deemed able to make financial transactions on their own, so in this case the right of the parent wouldn't be to blame the shop, but to declare the transaction (the buying of the kitkat) null and void.
Really? Cause I haven't in my entire life heard of such thing. They are perfectly able to make financial transactions on their own, what they're not able to do (afaik) is have a credit card (on their own), because that requires being an adult (perhaps it's possible with the signature of one, which, if it's the case, makes this lawsuit even more preposterous). You're saying any parent can walk into a store any underage person went into and bought something and demand their money back, that's just straight up bullshit.

Kargathia said:
And on another note: sueing a company because your kid did something he shouldn't have certainly reeks of bad parenting, but so far that smell is all we have to go on.
She might possibly be an awful parent, but conclusively stating such when you don't know anything beyond that she sued definitely makes you a douche.
1. The parent has raised the child in such a manner that the child feels it's ok to STEAL from the parent - really think about the severity of this. Put yourself in the situation of that parent and imagine telling your friends "my child stole money from me today" - the parents I know, including my own, would be embarrassed as all hell by their child's action.
2. The parent blames the company the child used to spend the stolen money for "not doing enough to prevent that from happening"

Call me a douche all you like, those two things combined spell a bad parent. Hell, most people would accuse one of that based on first alone, personally I'd say there could be other influences - but it's the second, the inability to accept their own responsibility and deal with their own child instead of blaming someone else, that really cements in it my opinion.