Facebook is Watching You

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook is Watching You

Facebook users be warned: The central scrutinizer is watching every word you type.

Does anyone reading this really think that Facebook chats are in any way private? Because they're not. And not just in the sense that this stuff is stored on a server somewhere and could be hacked into any time, either; Facebook actively monitors chats between users for suspicious activity and then reports that activity to the police.

The initial screening of chats is entirely automated, carried out by software that scans for certain words or phrases used by specific types of users, such as the exchange of sexually-explicit language between users of greatly different ages. Suspicious instances are brought to the attention of Facebook security employees, who investigate further and determine if the authorities need to get involved.

The social network relies heavily on automated scans not only because of its massive size but also, according to Chief Security Officer Joe Sullivan, because Facebook doesn't actually want to intrude on its users' privacy. "We've never wanted to set up an environment where we have employees looking at private communications, so it's really important that we use technology that has a very low false-positive rate," he said.

A low rate of false positives probably won't do much to mollify privacy advocates, although why anyone would assume that Facebook communications are private in the first place, particularly in light of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's infamous dismissal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100652-Facebook-CEO-People-Who-Trust-Me-Are-Dumb-F-cks] of privacy in 2010, is utterly beyond me. And at least one member of the law enforcement community, Florida Department of Law Enforcement Agent Jeffrey Duncan, sees it in a completely different light. "I feel that for every one we arrest, ten others get through the system," he said.

Facebook's automated scanning system has directly resulted in at least one arrest thus far. A "chat about sex" between man in his 30s and a 13-year-old girl who had agreed to meet him the next day was flagged by the system, leading Facebook employees to call the police. He was arrested and charged and has since pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of soliciting a minor.

Source: Reuters [http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/12/us-usa-internet-predators-idUSBRE86B05G20120712]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I got the "Central Scrutinizer" Reference!

OT: That's fine. I don't use Facebook anyways. I am sure a couple of people reading this will stop using it when they find this out.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
And now I have to go make up several fake crimes and discuss them with people on Facebook.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good thing I just talk about video games and D&D on Facebook. Don't want the popo finding out about all of the orphan souls I have harvested for my time machine.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Just once I'd like to read "Real life superhero uses facebook to stop crime" or "Facebook raises money for charity". But no, nothing positive ever comes out of it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No, Facebook is watching other people. I don't use it.

Dr. Horrible, however, may be in trouble...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I know for a fact that there is a drug dealer (albeit a highly incompetent, overpriced, drug dealer) dealing out of a facebook page in Bristol on Facebook.

Clearly their monitoring is shit.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
While I don't like to be spied on, I pretty much signed up for it when I made an account. I've seen lately these strange pictures on tumblr of older men flirting with very, VERY young girls on Facebook.

They're mostly for laughs as the older men tend to be Indian and don't speak English very well so... well you get the idea. Point is, hopefully this can stop some of them.

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
Fr said:
anc[is]Just once I'd like to read "Real life superhero uses facebook to stop crime" or "Facebook raises money for charity". But no, nothing positive ever comes out of it.
How about "Facebook prevents 30 year old man from exploiting 13 year old girl" from the article above? I'd say the stopping crime part of your request has been achieved.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]Just once I'd like to read "Real life superhero uses facebook to stop crime" or "Facebook raises money for charity". But no, nothing positive ever comes out of it.
Bullshit. There've been plenty of criminals caught from their idiocy on Facebook.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
FalloutJack said:
No, Facebook is watching other people. I don't use it.

Dr. Horrible, however, may be in trouble...
I'm right there with you. Partly because of stuff like this, and partly because I just don't see the appeal.

But that doesn't matter. I do not now, nor have ever had a facebook account. I don't care how odd, or weird, that is I just don't care about facebook.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I suddenly have the desire to go into the chat and type "Bomb terrorist fire robbery bank murder suicide sex."

I dont know if thats a good or bad thing/

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Facebook? What's that?

This is why I block all facebook content from even displaying on my computer.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
I know for a fact that there is a drug dealer (albeit a highly incompetent, overpriced, drug dealer) dealing out of a facebook page in Bristol on Facebook.

Clearly their monitoring is shit.
Maybe he's so obvious that they think it's a joke? I guess that's always a possibility.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
MammothBlade said:
This is why I block all facebook content from even displaying on my computer.
OK! How do you do that? I use Chrome, but I'll switch to FF if it would mean I could stop all those "like" buttons from showing up on every web page.