Facebook "Like" Leads to Sex Offender Bust

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I think the main thing to take away from this is that these cops, and possibly cops elsewhere, are running the name/address of every person who "likes" them on Facebook.

Seriously, you think some bored secretary said "Oooh, so-and-so liked us!" and a cop leaped up and said "I KNOW HER!" Hell no. If they did it to this person THEY DO IT TO EVERYONE.

And this is why you:

(Watch. Learn. Best free legal advice you'll get.)

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I'm on Facebook, but just barely. Somebody point out the hole in my logic when you see it...
This 22-year old girl "liked" the local police station Facebook account. Now at that point, someone with access the police account had to see that flag and then go check out her out. On Facebook, you can't see a person's timeline unless they accept you as a friend. Does anybody set their defualt to "make everythign public"? Is that even possible? I went to Samantha Dillow's Facebooks page. I am allowed to look at a couple of her family (I assume) pictures, but there is nothing there that indicated who her boyfriend is.

How did the police station get from her "Like" to being able to see who her boyfriend is. And then, how the heck did they recognize him as a wanted man? The police Facebook timeline DOES have a listing that they were looking for him the day before (Tuesday the 11th). The pictures of him being brought in are on the 12th.

I smell a rat. This story doesn't ring true unless I'm missing something. Of course, if she was charged and taken into custody yesterday, she may have gotten out and changed her Facebook page.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
onslaught of "facebook is evil!" incoming..facebook itself isn't stupid, it just so happens that stupid people use it, massive difference.

OT: funny coincidence of events, but at least some good came out of it i guess.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Clankenbeard said:
I'm on Facebook, but just barely. Somebody point out the hole in my logic when you see it...
This 22-year old girl "liked" the local police station Facebook account. Now at that point, someone with access the police account had to see that flag and then go check out her out. On Facebook, you can't see a person's timeline unless they accept you as a friend. Does anybody set their defualt to "make everythign public"? Is that even possible? I went to Samantha Dillow's Facebooks page. I am allowed to look at a couple of her family (I assume) pictures, but there is nothing there that indicated who her boyfriend is.

How did the police station get from her "Like" to being able to see who her boyfriend is. And then, how the heck did they recognize him as a wanted man? The police Facebook timeline DOES have a listing that they were looking for him the day before (Tuesday the 11th). The pictures of him being brought in are on the 12th.

I smell a rat. This story doesn't ring true unless I'm missing something. Of course, if she was charged and taken into custody yesterday, she may have gotten out and changed her Facebook page.
There is a really good chance they saw her name pop up on the like list and just threw off an email or whatever to Facebook who the complied with the police and sent them the information. Facebook isn't know for privacy and protecting the privacy of its users.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
tmande2nd said:
This is why I am not on facebook.

I mean its just so ....crazy right now
Why not?

Facebook is an endlessly useful tool for connecting with long-distance friends, keeping in touch with relatives, and putting dangerous criminals in jail.

(Seriously, I've seen more criminals incarcerated thanks to Facebook than I've seen in some crime shows.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can agree whole heartedly with the final sentiments of this article. Any government agency will use anything at their disposal to get what they want. This time it was a sex offender, in the future it may be any dissenting opinion about current "regimes".

/endparanoia

...I would like to ask the community to join me in thanking the hard working deputies that brought this fugitive in without incident.
We all know they wanted to shoot the guy. A lot of police officers feel they are part of some sort of military operation and love to be able to shoot people with little no repercussions. Cops in Detroit shoot and kill 4 year old girls sleeping on their grandmothers lap. A sex offender has a big target painted on him. They were probably pretty upset about not shooting.

Fwoo, got that off my chest. Now I feel better. The availability heuristic at work is a fine thing.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
ritchards said:
"The innocent have nothing to worry about."
Ah, that age-old statement that is straight forward enough to not invoke worry in the masses but vague enough to be dangerous.

Governments will use anything they have at their disposal to "get the job done" even if it's not exactly called for. Hence why we have police departments with tanks and why half of our government agencies including the Social Security Administration arming themselves to the teeth with rifles and ammunition that are meant to kill and not disable.

Chiave

Aug 26, 2012
Blablahb said:
Well 'sex offender' in the crazy US law system can mean anything between a totally innocent victim of stupid prudish Christian laws, to a heinous rapist who really should be locked up, so I've no idea how to feel about this.

Except that the lack of protection of suspect rights in the US again shocks me. Just making pictures like that, full names. Who benefits from that? Nobody.
Actually someone does benefit.

5% of the population are being caged like animals after all.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." - Dostoevsky

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Boudica said:
Neronium said:
Boudica said:
Yeah I know, but companies often time would most likely first check Facebook/Twitter. But that aside I'm not expecting any privacy on the internet at all. I know that anything can pretty much be seen on here.
I wonder if the government is watching right now...

Boy, I sure do trust my government. They are really good. They never invade my privacy and there is nothing for me to worry about.

[sub][sub]I hope they bought it.[/sub][/sub]
So many comparisons to 1984 can be made nowadays it's sad. But in my mind I like to think that they, the government, have better things to do than watch every single forum poster. I don't know, I'm just trying to remain optimistic to hide the paranoia. XD

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
So just liking a page hands over all personal info you put on your page? Goddamn facebook and goddamn people for making me feel like I need to be on it (i am).

After reading some of the comments here, reckon i'll throw my old computers into lava when i'm done with them, its only way to be sure.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Blablahb said:
Well 'sex offender' in the crazy US law system can mean anything between a totally innocent victim of stupid prudish Christian laws, to a heinous rapist who really should be locked up, so I've no idea how to feel about this.

Except that the lack of protection of suspect rights in the US again shocks me. Just making pictures like that, full names. Who benefits from that? Nobody.
Some people have been entered into the sex offender registry for urinating on the side of the road, drunkenly or not. Others have been put on because their girlfriend was 15 and they were 18, etc. There is a website, I forget the name.. but it tracks a bunch of "absurd cases" like this. There were many involving "just over and under the legal age of consent" type of charges.

What this means is you get placed on the "registry", forever.. for the rest of your life. It's not something you can hide or ever get rid of as far as I know.

They did mention he was a "dangerous sex offender", so he's probably a "real" one I'm assuming.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
As evil as facebook is, also selling your personal information to corporations while you don't see a dime, people are fucking themselves over.

This is why "reasonable expectation of privacy" is changing in lawbooks, people don't give a shit. They'll whine and whine, but keep posting photos of themselves that contain GPS data to a site that profits on their willingness to give up privacy.

Stop using it.

nexus said:
Blablahb said:

Some people have been entered into the sex offender registry for urinating on the side of the road, drunkenly or not. Others have been put on because their girlfriend was 15 and they were 18, etc. There is a website, I forget the name.. but it tracks a bunch of "absurd cases" like this. There were many involving "just over and under the legal age of consent" type of charges.

What this means is you get placed on the "registry", forever.. for the rest of your life. It's not something you can hide or ever get rid of as far as I know.

They did mention he was a "dangerous sex offender", so he's probably a "real" one I'm assuming.
A lot of the sex offenders on the list are boys 15 years old and under

http://freestudents.blogspot.com/2009/09/there-is-fury-and-and-sadness-inside.html

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Frankster said:
So just liking a page hands over all personal info you put on your page? Goddamn facebook and goddamn people for making me feel like I need to be on it (i am).

After reading some of the comments here, reckon i'll throw my old computers into lava when i'm done with them, its only way to be sure.
No, it just made the police aware of her facebook page, which it appears has all of her information because she's an idiot.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
So... just to be clear: if I were to "like", say... Homestar Runner on Facebook... am I sending all of my personal information to Mike Chapman?

Or maybe if were to "like" anything causes my personal info sent to the Tazewell County Sheriff's Office and this was just a huge coincidence?

Maybe...
Liking sends all of your info to Tazewell County...
Sharing sends all of your info to El Paso County...
Subscribing sends all of your info to Orange County...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Kakulukia said:
Nurb said:
If I read this thing right, ~0.4% of registered sex offenders are 7 years old.
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?!
My guess they were caught in the women's bathroom.

The fact that they were with their moms doesn't change the fact that they are obviously dirty perverts!