Facts debate.

SleepsAnyWhere

Aug 26, 2010
In this thread I will share some not well know facts, please contribute and debate on any fact you can think of (The stranger the better :p).

- Roughly over 40% of all gamers are females. Yeah it's a level playing field.

- The longest time any one person can stay concentrated on a target (Eg. sniper's scope) is about 15 minuets. This is why snipers work in pairs and take turns spotting and shooting.

- Marijuana is not as harmful as it is portrayed. In fact it's one of the most useful natural medical and fiber products known to man, not to mention a terrific bio fuel.

- Music has been proven to induce different effects on plants over extended time.

- Violent video games cause no effect other than desensitizing.

shaneriding

Jul 15, 2010
There is a Peruvian mountain goat that can jump 9 feet vertically and has glow in the dark fur from the mushrooms it eats

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
Whenever anyone asks for a pointless fact, this is what they get from me:

Statistically, in London, it rains more on a Thursday than any other day of the week.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
You can OD on liquorice. Can cause High blood pressure, muscle failure etc.

TKTom

Oct 12, 2008
SleepsAnyWhere said:
- The longest time any one person can stay concentrated on a target (Eg. sniper's scope) is about 15 minuets. This is why snipers work in pairs and take turns spotting and shooting.
The "That's the reason why sniper's work in pairs" is not true. One guy always uses the rifle and one guy always uses the spotting scope (or whatever instrument he has.) The spotter's purpose is to provide range and windage data for the sniper and (if it comes to it) to defend the sniper with his weapon. The sniper's scope has a relatively narrow field of view and is thus quite susceptable to tunnel vision, another reason to have the spotter there who has more of an ability to take in the whole field of battle.

Also, a sniper won't be held in readiness for a shot for something like 15 minutes, perhaps 20 seconds after setting the sights appropriately is more accurate. Though, it is true that on some operations a sniper team can wait for days waiting for a good opportunity to strike, in these circumstances they would take turns keeping watch on the target area, but that is only keeping watch, should a shot need to be fired it's always the sniper that takes it.

MetaMop

Jan 27, 2010
The new forms of marijuana are harmfull. Full of chemicals to increase strength and people can develop an addiction despite what people say. I know personally that weed can cause alot of long term mental harm if taken in excess. But still, if anyone asks I'm sitting to the left hand side.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
YEah, my first game was the incredibly violent (for the time) Resident Evil, and I'm not even an ounce as messed up as any of my friends. I admit that I am quite desensitized, but some of these kids I know actually actively go out of their way to try to induce violence. I think it's because their parents glorified it when they were younger, but reprimanding them, and telling them that they were much too young to see things that were rated "mature".

Kind of like Americans and Drinking.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
If you grab one of your thumbs with the other hand, you'll significantly reduce your gag reflex.

You can't name a folder "con" in any version of Windows unless you put spaces between the letters.

According to a friend of mine who watches Mythbusters, shooting fish in a bucket is not nearly as easy as people say it is. EDIT: This is assuming you have water in the bucket and the fish are alive.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
Oh right, I've got to give some facts.

111111111x111111111=12345678987654321
Jesus was morel likely born around 6 BC, in the Summer.
The dot above an i is called a tittle
As a rule of thumb, you can only go 3 seconds without blood, 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Uhhh... God, I used to read factbooks instead of actual books for my English classes back when I was in Elementary school. I can't believe I've forgotten so much.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
SleepsAnyWhere said:
- Marijuana is not as harmful as it is portrayed. In fact it's one of the most useful natural medical and fiber products known to man, not to mention a terrific bio fuel.

- Music has been proven to induce different effects on plants over extended time.

- Violent video games cause no effect other than desensitizing.
I used to be a rabid marijuana smoker, and let me tell you, it can actually be pretty damn harmful. Granted, physiologically speaking there are much worse things you could do to yourself, but in psychological terms marijuana can do a lot of damage to you. You're free to disagree, but I once spent three days in a dissociative state in which I believed that my original soul had left my body and been replaced with a new one that had access to all of the old one's memories. Needless to say, experiences like that weigh on you for the rest of your life. Canabanoid abuse can seriously affect the relationship you perceive between yourself and reality.

I grow a lot of plants, so I actually looked into that second claim of yours at one point. There were some studies that indicated it was true, but most of them were run on a small number of plants, and all the plants in the studies were the same types of plants. A claim like that simply hasn't been verified in any real way as of yet.

I agree with you that violent videogames really aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be, but the nature/nurture debate is one of the most prominent debates in psychology right now, and since it hasn't been resolved saying something like that is not a fact but an opinion.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
The reason the Farenheit scale is the way it is, is because the bloke who invented it had a pal in... Denmark, I think? Something like that. Anyway, the chap didn't like those messy negative signs, so he asked is buddy to make it so that the temperature would never fall below 0 degrees in his country.

More temp trivia: the celsius scale was concieved backwards (0 degrees was the boiling point of water, 100 was the freezing point). This was changed on the sly after Celsius' death.

According to a documentary I watched, Britain was actually about to surrender to the Nazis, right before they got bored and decided to take a lump out of Russia instead (I'm not quite sure how reliable the documentary was).

August has the most birthdays (I myself was born in August). February has the least.

Recent studies show (LEGIT studies, I might add) that suncream can actually cause cancer, rather than prevent it.

5 fruit a day is bull. With the exception of tomatoes, fruit has a lot of harmful sugars. If you actually DID eat 5 fruit a day, you'd have a big chance of becoming diabetic (again, legit studies).

According to (forgot his name - some German fella, I'll update if I remember), every problem you can possibly think of in Mathematics can be solved by merely counting.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
SleepsAnyWhere said:
I remember Mythbusters handled this one a while ago. As I recall, heavy metal out-performed classical, while shouting out-performed sweet talk.

TKTom

Oct 12, 2008
Simple Bluff said:
According to a documentary I watched, Britain was actually about to surrender to the Nazis, right before they got bored and decided to take a lump out of Russia instead (I'm not quite sure how reliable the documentary was).
There was a truce offered, Britain may have taken it if Hitler hadn't ordered bombing of British assets.

There was no way that Britain would surrender without even fighting an invasion.

Simple Bluff said:
August has the most birthdays (I myself was born in August). February has the least.
What I'll add to this is that people who have birthdays in September-December tend to be more successful in life because they are 6-10 months older than the rest of their class when they attend school, this is especially pronounced in athletes.

Simple Bluff said:
According to (forgot his name - some German fella, I'll update if I remember), every problem you can possibly think of in Mathematics can be solved by merely counting.
I think it's very likely that you have misunderstood this, there are many problems dealing with uncountable sets which really cannot be solved by counting.

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
ciortas1 said:
SleepsAnyWhere said:
- Roughly over 40% of all gamers are females. Yeah it's a level playing field.
A hundred bucks says 80% of those play exclusively on their Wiis, and another 10% prefer their Wiis over anything else.
£200 says that's a sexist generalisation that I'm sure a few female gamers I know personally would be more than happy to correct if they were on here ;)

3 out of 5 people you'll find on a co-op game will have no interest in actually cooperating and play as if they were in a single player game. That's from my personal experience and I know a few people who'd agree with me

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
President Taft got stuck in his bathtub. When he was supposed to be at his inaguration.