Fake an Alien Invasion, Save the U.S. Economy

The Big Eye

Truth-seeking Tail-chaser
Aug 19, 2009
Let this serve as a warning to the rest of you: THIS is why economists shouldn't try to be funny.

Ignoring the obvious silliness, even his actual point is hard to take seriously. "Commit to building lots of military equipment, and we'll get out of recession."

First, that's like saying that you can burn your rafters to keep the house warm. Once we've spent X trillion dollars on vorp rays and disintegrator beams, what's become of all the resources we've burned through? They'll all be sitting in warehouses, doing absolutely nothing - and that's the best case scenario, assuming they don't end up being used on some terrestrial population (which they will).

Second, all of that spending will only delay the recession, not end it. We won't gain much infrastructure, the only people who'll make money will be the already rich, and the deficit will get even bigger. In short, we'll have built an artificial economic bubble, further f*cking up the third world in the process with needless extraction and pollution. Then, the bubble will burst. Hello, depression.

Third, let's think about we're doing here: building military equipment, researching military technology. The United States alone already has enough firepower to literally kill every human on earth. Accruing more destructive power on the scale required would amount to a crime against humanity. There is no conceivable scenario in which it ends well.

What I want to know is how this ding-dong was given a Nobel Prize in the first place.

Scytail said:
Well I guess an alien invasion is the keynes answer. Would a zombie invasion be the hayek solution?
How so? I'm actually really curious.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Andy Chalk said:
Plenty of people have plenty of ideas on how to turn things around - raise taxes, cut spending, invade Canada
...hey, that's not nice...

OT: Sounds like he was inspired by the original War of the Worlds.
Orson Welles never meant to fool people into believing his broadcast. It was an accident.

OT: Ummmm...that Twilight Zone episode was sort of a demonstration as to how much a BAD idea this is. Put simply, creating unwarranted conflict to stimulate the economy is bad. Who do you think you are? Zorg?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
FalloutJack said:
-Dragmire- said:
Andy Chalk said:
Plenty of people have plenty of ideas on how to turn things around - raise taxes, cut spending, invade Canada
...hey, that's not nice...

OT: Sounds like he was inspired by the original War of the Worlds.
Orson Welles never meant to fool people into believing his broadcast. It was an accident.

OT: Ummmm...that Twilight Zone episode was sort of a demonstration as to how much a BAD idea this is. Put simply, creating unwarranted conflict to stimulate the economy is bad. Who do you think you are? Zorg?
Yeah, I read about it years ago after finishing the book. Still, regardless of the original intention, it sounded like he was inspired by the result.

Isn't it odd how the radio show only played once a day with no news of it anywhere else and some people were still convinced it was real?

Some listeners heard only a portion of the broadcast, and in the atmosphere of tension and anxiety just prior to World War II, took it to be an actual news broadcast. Newspapers reported that panic ensued, people fleeing the area, others thinking they could smell poison gas or could see flashes of lightning in the distance.

Richard J. Hand cites studies by unnamed historians who "calculate[d] that some six million heard the CBS broadcast; 1.7 million believed it to be true, and 1.2 million were 'genuinely frightened'". While Welles and company were heard by a comparatively small audience (in the same period, NBC's audience was an estimated 30 million), the uproar was anything but minute: within a month, there were 12,500 newspaper articles about the broadcast or its impact, while Adolf Hitler cited the panic, as Hand writes, as "evidence of the decadence and corrupt condition of democracy."

Later studies suggested this panic was less widespread than newspapers suggested. During this period, many newspapers were concerned that radio, a new medium, would render the press obsolete. In addition, this was a time of yellow journalism, and as a result, journalists took this opportunity to demonstrate the dangers of broadcast by embellishing the story, and the panic that ensued, greatly.

Robert E. Bartholomew suggests that hundreds of thousands were frightened in some way, but notes that evidence of people taking action based on this fear is "scant" and "anecdotal". Indeed, contemporary news articles indicate that police were swamped with hundreds of calls in numerous locations, but stories of people doing anything more than calling the authorities typically involve groups of ones or tens and were often reported by people who were panicking themselves.
I like the part about newspapers being worried by the radical new medium, the radio.
Sounds familiar.

EDIT: The public reaction section was quite long so I only took the first few paragraphs.

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds_%28radio%29#Public_reaction

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
The Big Eye said:
snip
Scytail said:
Well I guess an alien invasion is the keynes answer. Would a zombie invasion be the hayek solution?
How so? I'm actually really curious.
Well the alien invasion situation requires the government to invest in military hardware and the other businesses and infrastructure that goes along with it (munitions, fuel, etc) and that I believe would be the model for the keynes "top down" approach to the economy. Now with a zombie invasion, and Im using the book WWZ as an example, required what was left of the governments to invest in reeducating and insuring that every person was employed in some sort of job/vocation that benefited what was left of society or the "bottom up" approach that hayek advocates.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I actually thought of something like this, of course it wasn't aliens it was WW3. But it's not an all too revolutionary a concept. WW2 is what got us out of the Great Depression, it wasn't FDR, it was War.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
GestaltEsper said:
Of course since he said it now we know it'll be fake.
Don't worry. This is the Escapist. Only the intelligent minority come here.

warmonkey

Dec 2, 2009
LeeshaJoy said:
Sure, WW2 was good for America, because afterward it was the only major first-world country that didn't have its infrastructure decimated by bombing, and therefore had a near monopoly on manufacturing. The post-war era sucked for the rest of the developed world. Try again, Krugman.

You raise a very good point.
Making proper adjustments, I present: The Leesha Plan!

Step 1: Invent alien force!
Step 2: *blow up everyone else's stuff and blame alien force!*
Step 3: Profit!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
the main reason ww2 was good for the economy was suddenly allot of people had allot of money instead of just a few people haveing a fuck ton of money, like what we have now

you want to fix the economy then tax the fuck out of the rich and either do alot of social programs or just directly give it to the middle class and under since those are the people who really drive an economy, the rich dont do shit

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Great. Now that he's said it everyone's going to think the real invasion is an economic stimulus hoax. Way to go, PAUL.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so im not the only economist watching twillight zone? i have faith in huanity now!

MagicSwordKing

Oct 29, 2009
Alright I won't even go into the political or economic implications of this idea because everyone, starting with Paul Krugman, has made a grave error!

Watchmen was not inspired by an episode of The Twilight Zone. It was inspired by an episode of the original The Outer Limits, called "The Architects of Fear". It is exactly the Ozymandias gambit, which Alan Moore had in fact planned before seeing the episode. It was so similar and helped him refine his ideas, however, if you look in the last issue of Watchmen there is a literal shout out:

http://www.mister8.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/culpref.jpg

And yes, the wikipedia page on The Architects of Fear has already been updated to point out Krugman's folly, and no, I did not make the edit. Sci-fi nerd hivemind strikes again.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I think this idea makes about as much sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Berethond said:
World War II is only one data point! There's no guarantee something like that would work again.
World War I would like to have word with you with part II being the only data point.
LeeshaJoy said:
Sure, WW2 was good for America, because afterward it was the only major first-world country that didn't have its infrastructure decimated by bombing, and therefore had a near monopoly on manufacturing. The post-war era sucked for the rest of the developed world. Try again, Krugman.
World War I would like a word with you.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
War of the Worlds is the wrong analogy here. The "aliens" had already arrived and were doing damage while Krugman is sugesting something more akin to the movie Deep Impact: we have a problem, we can deal with it and we are going to with grace and dignity, and I'm not going to tollerate any arguement about how to handle the problem from people that want a solution that doesn't inconvience them or their bank accounts. Besides, in 1938 a lot fewer people were exposed en masse to entertainment fiction.

Sadly, while he's looking for that "bring us together" moment in a country extremely polorized, I think that polorization has stuck. Bush never completely wiped off the conspiracy theories about 9/11 or Iraq, and there a large section of republicans that wouldn't beleive Obama if he said the sky was blue and water was wet. In a republican administration, few would beleive it was anything but an attempt to up military spending to increase profits of weapon manufacturers. Under a democratic one, well, you just have to look at the effort put into denying evolution or climate change to think that New York could be nuked and republicans would stll want more study on the issue.

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
I said this a couple months ago. How odd.

But the government would be in more debt then, right? I think that is the one down side to it.

Why don't we say there is a huge asteroid coming to end us and we have to build some sort of space society in that time frame or else we all die?! This way when the asteroid "luckily missed us" we could have solved the over population problem, the economic problem, and have awesome space parties.

*stops dreaming*

It'd be worth it for one really big lie, right?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Schmittler said:
I said this a couple months ago. How odd.

But the government would be in more debt then, right? I think that is the one down side to it.

Why don't we say there is a huge asteroid coming to end us and we have to build some sort of space society in that time frame or else we all die?! This way when the asteroid "luckily missed us" we could have solved the over population problem, the economic problem, and have awesome space parties.

*stops dreaming*

It'd be worth it for one really big lie, right?
Except theres not really enough oil to transport the shit up to the moon. Let alone mars, without a more effecient space transport. And building it in space itself w/o standing on anything would require more metal than anyone would bother to gather up.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
It wasn't an episode of Twilight Zone it was an episode of the Outer Limits called The Architects of Fear.

Alan Moore has even sighted it as part of his inspiration for Watchmen's ending.

Triality

May 9, 2011
This is the quality thinking we get from a former Enron advisor. It'd be okay if hundreds of thousands if not millions die as long as the economy recovers right?

I hate this fat ugly neckbearded son of a *****. He's the man that replaced a real thinker named William Saffire on the NYT columnist roster (look him up). That was a man whom I could listen to; he actually had some fucking humility.

Escapist please remember that Yasser Arafat got a nobel prize even though he spoke in front of the UN general assembly with an AK-47 on his shoulder. A Nobel doesn't make you a smart, peaceful, or creative person. It just means the right European progressives like nice-sounding things they agree with.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
That just might be crazy enough to work...

[HEADING=2]IF YOU HADN'T GONE ON CNN AND TOLD EVERYONE!![/HEADING]