Fake Geek Girls

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Sure but can you name all the characters the girls are cosplaying as?
Ooh! Ooh! I know! They're Mai Shiranui, Catwoman, and Tomoe Mami. What do I win?

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
FelixG said:
Jokes?! The internet is Srs business sir!

Though I should point out that I never said it wasn't funny, nor that I didn't enjoy it. I was commenting on the escapist as a whole as well, not your comic in particular.

And to be fair I wouldn't have been able to answer the guys question either :p
Heh, I wouldn't have been able to either... I wasnt trying to insinuate anything though. Sometimes, it just seems like I ponder less about the subject matter of our jokes than the readers do.

I mostly just want you guys to notice when I sneak cats into the comic (I failed on this strip...)

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Cory Rydell said:
'Pfft clearly you are doing it for attention! You don't really like comics...I mean currently relevant subject matter'

>_>
<_<

yeeeeeah......the irony is over 9000.

Cory Rydell said:
I mostly just want you guys to notice when I sneak cats into the comic (I failed on this strip...)
But there is a whole entire Catwoman...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
dear god cory is part of the catmasons, RUN FOR YOUR LIFES!!!!!
also the answer clearly is peter parker since i stopped reading the clone bullshit at a point where ben reilley was supposed to be the original, making peter parker the clone

captcha asks me "which one is biggest?" and the answer i want to give will probably not be in there.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
FelixG said:
88chaz88 said:
FelixG said:
felbot said:
OK quick question why did the escapist suddenly go apeshit about this whole thing? i mean this meme has been around for some time and you're only now saying something about it? you're slow, very slow, like a turtle.
They go for whatever draws the most sensationalist crowd I think

Hell it was a thing back with the original xbox

And it's clearly still a "thing" now.

Also are you seriously accusing Grey of pointing out this issue solely for the attention?
Are you seriously unaware that the point of a web comic is to get page views?

And I am pointing out that this is the second item this week that has gone on about fake gamer girls on this website.
You're right! It soumds like some sort of conspiracy...

*Gets double tapped from behind by Grey. Dressed as Tomoe Mami.*

Nothing to see here people. Move along.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The one on the left is Mai Shiranui, and the one on the right is Catwoman.

I know who the one in the middle is, I just can't remember her name...but she's so familiar...dammit!
Tomoe Mami, from some anime/,anga I couldnt spell to save my fucking life. Never saw it, but I did somehow get to its TVTropes page, and I can say that Mami looses her head about three episodes in...

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
M'kay, scanned the article that was linked to in the dialogue underneath the comic. I think both Harris and Faraci have legit points...and both where they're acting like idiots. First, Harris; it is true, some of these ladies are just looking for attention because they like toying with people. Women like that are bitches because they're treating the men in a given fan community in a way very similar, if not identical, to the way some men treat women as nothing more than meat; both are using the opposite gender to get what they want with no concern for other people's feelings.

However, as Faraci points out, Harris goes so bonkers at points he overlooks the fact that anybody in costume at a convention is looking for attention. It's not fair to just blame the women who go there for it, the guys do it too. Maybe not for the exact same reasons, but it's still an attempt at getting people to stare. The question is whether or not the woman doing it would be appreciative of the people giving her that attention, or if she would just kick any attention-giver to the curb if he tried to get to know her better after she'd had her fun.

But while Faraci correctly points out that just because an attractive woman cosplays or shows up at a convention without a lot of knowledge of comics, movies, etc. the convention's about doesn't immediately mean they're doing something reprehensible, he THEN goes on to do something stupid; he talks about how nerds will overlook the "real" girl nerds and only talk to the attractive women that are "out of their league". Okay, the stupidity here is twofold. First, it insinuates that no "real" girl nerds can be physically attractive; nice job reinforcing the stereotype there. Saying that paints the picture of the nerd girl as always having to be plain looking or downright unattractive.

Second, by supporting the notion that person A can be out of person' B's league based solely on physical appearance, he also perpetuates the very shallowness he just tried to speak against. The concept of people being in leagues based on physical attractiveness utterly negates the idea that things like personality, shared interests, intellect, and the like are more important than looks. It's a concept that suggests no matter how much two people may have in common or may find appealing in one another, as long as one of them is better looking (by the majority-accepted definition of attractiveness) than the other, there can never be anything romantic between them.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Kopikatsu said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The one on the left is Mai Shiranui, and the one on the right is Catwoman.

I know who the one in the middle is, I just can't remember her name...but she's so familiar...dammit!
Tomoe Mami, from some anime/,anga I couldnt spell to save my fucking life. Never saw it, but I did somehow get to its TVTropes page, and I can say that Mami looses her head about three episodes in...
That was it.

The series is Puella Magi Madoka Magica, most notable for "Wanna make a contract?"

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
Cory Rydell said:
But there is a whole entire Catwoman...[/quote]

touche

its early for me...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Cory Rydell said:
FelixG said:
88chaz88 said:
Also are you seriously accusing Grey of pointing out this issue solely for the attention?

And I am pointing out that this is the second item this week that has gone on about fake gamer girls on this website.
We occasionally try and tell jokes too.

It may be possible that Grey saw the Jimquisition episode, thought of something funny, pitched the idea to me, I liked it, then we made a comic about it.
Butbutbutbut that's impossible! I mean, okay, it is the most plausible explanation, but it doesn't fit my whole "TWO features on the same subject per week is a link-bait overreaction" theory at all.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
FelixG said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
FelixG said:
88chaz88 said:
FelixG said:
felbot said:
OK quick question why did the escapist suddenly go apeshit about this whole thing? i mean this meme has been around for some time and you're only now saying something about it? you're slow, very slow, like a turtle.
They go for whatever draws the most sensationalist crowd I think

Hell it was a thing back with the original xbox

And it's clearly still a "thing" now.

You're right! It soumds like some sort of conspiracy...

*Gets double tapped from behind by Grey. Dressed as Tomoe Mami.*

Nothing to see here people. Move along.
Conspiracy you say...?

(Wonder how many people will get that joke)
CITIZEN! Allowing mutant communist fake gamer girls to infiltrate Alpha Convention is treason! Acknowledging, or worse yet enjoying, your base biological instincts is treason! Please report to your local termination booth as soon as possible. Have a nice daycycle.

Nerdiness is mandatory.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
But Mami should be using an elegant musket. Preferably 20 of them. She has to be fake.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
I wonder if has ever occurred to those idiots that some people who cosplay are costume geeks, not anime/sci-fi/whatever geeks. That they choose a specific character to cosplay as because they like the like of the costume or the challenge of creating an accurate representation of it. That doesn't make them any less of a geek than someone who knows the entire spider-man canon.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Nice comic, someone needs to show the truth about those fake nerd girls! They are trying to conquer the world... One video game convention at a time! :p

On a more serious note, I might even understand that some people might try to exploit the sex appeal of women in order to attract a bigger audience, but how often does that happen and what harm does that make? I mean I doubt it's more than eye candy, and (unless someone is really crazy) people won't think "sexy woman=I need to buy stuff" or "sexy woman=All women are easy" (because that's the only two arguments I hear about these kind of things... Together with "I am offended", which strikes me as even more absurd, either if you are a prude or if you "don't like that they think all men are the same"... It seems you are way over-sensitive to me).

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Yes, it was Ben Reilly, though it took me a minute to remember his last name. And yes I did know the answer before I saw how to properly spell "Reilly" in Grey's comment.

I haven't read comics in years.

Gods, I'm such a nerd.
Cory Rydell said:
We occasionally try and tell jokes too.

It may be possible that Grey saw the Jimquisition episode, thought of something funny, pitched the idea to me, I liked it, then we made a comic about it.
Don't you know that Escapists love conspiracies? Ssssshhhhh, you'll spoil their fun explaining that there's no grand plot involving selling out to advertisers, etc, but instead the normal off-the-cuff idea that they would use without a moment's thought.