Fallout 1 vs Fallout 2

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
After recently deciding to purchase the old fallouts, I ran inot a problem. 1 or 2? Which one is better? Do I have to play 1 to enjoy 2? Also, what of the other top down steam punk game. I think it starts with A... should I buy that instead? Is it available on steam?

Thanks in advance.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fallout 2 is much more forgiving and does not punish the player as often. It's easier to level up and feels a bit more fair.

It also has a bigger, more varied world, more items and far more characters and storylines.

EDIT: Yes, yes, the temple is tough but I found the game as a whole was easier.

I'd go with Fallout 2.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Fallout 2 is much more forgiving and does not punish the player as often. It's easier to level up and feels a bit more fair.

It also has a bigger, more varied world, more items and far more characters and storylines.

I'd go with Fallout 2.
Fallout 2 is much more forgiving..............once you get out of the starting temple.

Fuck that temple.

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
Altorin said:
MiracleOfSound said:

I'd go with Fallout 2.
Fallout 2 is much more forgiving..............once you get out of the starting temple.

Fuck that temple.
Yeah that fight at the end of it didn't make any damned sence.

Fallout 2 is the clear cut answer.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Altorin said:

Fuck that temple.
Thank God for there being mods that can skip that for you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'd choose Fallout, because I enjoyed the "under the clock" feeling in the first half, and enjoyed being able to play more after it was finished.

Also, I had more intense fight sequences in the first one.

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Really I'd say play both, they're both amazing games and you can get them in a pack together (along with the mediocre Fallout tactics, don't bother with that one).
As for which is the better game, Fallout 2 expands on Fallout's core gameplay and adds a lot to it, it's bigger with a lot more content.
It's also a bit more forgiving, with the exception of the starting temple, which can be a bit of a nightmare.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
Fallout 2 is the better game for sure, but I always felt that the opening of the game was much harder if you didnt focus on melee weapons (which did make sense, but i felt it harder to role play your own character).

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Once you start to get into the "intermediate power" range, occupying levels 7-14 in most WRPGs, Fallout 2 is more forgiving on the player, but in the beginning???

Fallout 1 started out out the vault door with the 10mm Pistol, some Stimpacks, flares and some misc equipment, whereas Fallout 2 starts you off battle scarred from the temple and sends you out into the world with a few spears and some healing powder. In Aramath or whatever the first settlement you reach before the Den, the best gun you can get is a goddamn pipe rifle, which costs you the skin off your back. (Money better spent on Sulik)

----

Aside: I love Fallout 3, but one of my major gripes with it was that Super Mutants and Enclave soldiers are not the fearsome "Oh fuck, I'm screwed" enemies they were in the original games. Even at high levels in Fallout 2 packing power armour and a pulse rifle, you will NOT likely survive a skirmish with an Enclave patrol.

Basically, I just felt they kinda defanged some of the coolest and scariest enemies and nerfed them down to above-average threats, instead of SERIOUS threats. At least the Deathclaws could still wreck your shit.

---

Basically, while Fallout was never "realistic", the original games were more realistically difficult in that a new character might be able to take out a raider, but not a posse of them. Similar logic for higher level threats and characters.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
II2 said:
Basically, I just felt they kinda defanged some of the coolest and scariest enemies and nerfed them down to above-average threats, instead of SERIOUS threats. At least the Deathclaws could still wreck your shit.
I guess a lot of that was unavoidable from switching to first person viewpoint. The first time I fought a mutie in F3 I got my ass handed to me, but once you work out the simple AI routine it's pretty easy to just cover shoot them without even using VATS.

The muties in the old games, however... critical hit for 120 damage? Are you kidding me? Argh!

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Buy both.. They are probably dirt cheap now anyways..

Whatever you do.. Science and lockpick are skills definitly needed...

flagship

Feb 5, 2011
I'd play fallout 1 first, I actually played them in reverse order and found Fallout 1 to be disappointing because Fallout 2 improves upon the first in almost every single way.