Fallout 3: GOTY help!

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
So the other day I bought Fallout 3 Game of the year edition while it was on sale. My computer isn't made for gaming and so cannot run high spec games. I was aware of this when I bought the game but it was going cheap so I thought i'd try it out anyway. My processor is fast enough, however my graphics card is terrible. I have still played a few games on my PC before however which is what made me decide to give this game a try.

When I started up the game it set the graphics to the optimal settings for my graphics card. Just for extra help I turned them down further. I loaded up the game and started a new game. It loads up the game and just before it starts the screen goes black and windows shuts down the game.

So I just want to know is this a case of my computer being too slow or is this a problem with the game. I think it's the former but i'd like to check regardless.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
It's most likely your computer you should probably upgrade if you want to play games on it.

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. If I'm in any doubt as to how well (if at all) a game will run on my PC, I find a visit to this site helps:

Can You Run It
http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
It's possible that it's this weird problem the game has with Windows 7. I know I can't run Fallout 3 (Although this is the Games for Windows physical disc version), but have no problems running Fallout: New Vegas. Anyway, I have the same problem, but Fallout 3 does run on my dad's under-powered desktop, so at least I can play it...

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
Thanks guys I just wanted to check if it was the reason I thought it was.

See, I don't really use that website much any more, as it has told me before that certain games wouldn't run although they have run without a trace of problems. Thanks regardless

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
venom 3135 said:
I had problems with running F3 GOTY as well.
Solution that worked for me was this
1. Patching to newest version (yes, i'm aware that GOTY should already be patched)

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:
bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to:
bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert:
iNumHWThreads=2
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine? bug from causing the game to freeze.
OR iNumHWThreads=1
Which will limit to ONE core.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
venom 3135 said:
I had problems with running F3 GOTY as well.
Solution that worked for me was this
1. Patching to newest version (yes, i'm aware that GOTY should already be patched)

Open up the fallout.ini file in: My Documents\My Games\Fallout3
Find the line:
bUseThreadedAI=0
change it to:
bUseThreadedAI=1
Add another line after it and insert:
iNumHWThreads=2
This will limit the game to 2 cores and prevent the engine? bug from causing the game to freeze.
OR iNumHWThreads=1
Which will limit to ONE core.
Thanks i'll try it out. But where can I download the altest patch? Not to sound like a noob, but I'm new to this :p

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
venom 3135 said:
Thanks i'll try it out. But where can I download the altest patch? Not to sound like a noob, but I'm new to this :p
No problem. Everyone is kind of new to some stuff at some point.

As for now, if you'll find some troubles with your games :
1. Open google.com
2. Write NameOfYourGame patch in the search bar
3. Download proper version (for example if you're in America, look for "American patch" or something like this)
4. Install, play.

So, let's see...
google
Fallout 3 patch
Aha, here it is : www.bethsoft.com/eng/patches.php
Download proper one, install, who knows, maybe it will help you.

Goodluck. :)

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
venom 3135 said:
No problem. Everyone is kind of new to some stuff at some point.

As for now, if you'll find some troubles with your games :
1. Open google.com
2. Write NameOfYourGame patch in the search bar
3. Download proper version (for example if you're in America, look for "American patch" or something like this)
4. Install, play.

So, let's see...
google
Fallout 3 patch
Aha, here it is : www.bethsoft.com/eng/patches.php
Download proper, install, who knows, maybe it will help you.

Goodluck. :)
Thanks for your help I did all of that but now I get the hud, some passive music and a black screen. I'll just have to keep on trying. Thanks anyway :)

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Out of pure curiosity, can you follow this advice ?

http://www.oldblivion.com/sm/index.php?topic=6613.0

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Out of pure curiosity, can you follow this advice ?

http://www.oldblivion.com/sm/index.php?topic=6613.0
I did as the post said and it didn't change anything. D:

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
And the fallout.ini trick i suggested before ?

Edit : Does this ...
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/solved-fallout-3-ctd-at-launch-309946.html
...looks familiar ?

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Update drivers, update game, google the issue. It's likely not your hardware (though posting your specs might give us a clue). If it's not the hardware, there's probably a fix for it out there.

Lots of people play this game, and it's quite buggy, so there should be lots of fixes out there.

Try the Steam forums.

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
Well I tried to run Fallout 3 when I had a 8500GT installed and the game crashed 2 out of 5 times when I was in VATS.

Venom 3135

The Lemon Merchant
Nov 22, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
And the fallout.ini trick i suggested before ?

Edit : Does this ...
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/solved-fallout-3-ctd-at-launch-309946.html
...looks familiar ?
Yh I did that too. The problem on the forum is different to mine

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
do you use multiple monitors?
I have the same problem with TESIV and FO3 after I switched to two monitors or you video card is just shit.