Fallout 3 Playstyle

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Hey,
I just recently got a 360, and Fallout 3 along with it, and just wanted to know how YOU guys play the game. I read in the manual how each of the stats is strongly tied to a specific...skill. By playstyle I mean it seems as if I'll have to plan what I want to focus on now, or do the skill points you allocate as a baby really make that much difference? Sorry If im being confusing, but it boils down to 2 things.

a) Should I play the game stealth focused, with perks orientated to small arms and rifles?

b) I liked the look of the "Rock-It Launcher" and coupled with some power armour, what would that be like?

I know its all down to personal choice, I just wanted to know how effective each of those would be, pros and cons etc, as I know I can't have both as I obviously big guns make big noise :p

Regards

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Stealth wont last long, just upgrade lockpick at the very least for now all the way and whatever eles you think is important.

EDIT: let me edit that, Stealth wont last long if you dont spend all your time DUCKING to travel from place to place.

Because if you stand, EVERYONE gets a boner at once and knows where YOU are.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Lopunny said:
Hey,
I just recently got a 360, and Fallout 3 along with it, and just wanted to know how YOU guys play the game. I read in the manual how each of the stats is strongly tied to a specific...skill. By playstyle I mean it seems as if I'll have to plan what I want to focus on now, or do the skill points you allocate as a baby really make that much difference? Sorry If im being confusing, but it boils down to 2 things.

a) Should I play the game stealth focused, with perks orientated to small arms and rifles?

b) I liked the look of the "Rock-It Launcher" and coupled with some power armour, what would that be like?

I know its all down to personal choice, I just wanted to know how effective each of those would be, pros and cons etc, as I know I can't have both as I obviously big guns make big noise :p

Regards
Allocating the points as a baby doesn't mean much, you can change it before you leave the Vault. The Rock-It launcher is pretty good but it's only really worth it if you like the sound of killing people with high powered dinner plates and stuff. Being focused in small arms is good, seeing as there's a lot of small arms guns in the game, you'll find more of them than anything else. I would say just explore, it's the most fun that way. Have fun! :)

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I went for small arms as they are much easier to find ammo for. However its still not really stealthy unless your slitting all their throats with smash glass. Its up to you. Rock-It Launcher is a fantastic weapon as you can find ammo for it everywhere however unless you keep upgrading heavy weapon skill its gonna to become useless. And ammo for other heavy weapons is lackluster at most.

If you want pro's and cons then I got them

"Stealth based" Pros
-Lose less health
-You get more satisfaction from a kill
-Less ammo wasted (most of the time)

"Stealth based" Cons
-I tend to find people who are stealthy in MMO's to be fairly evil and psychotic people in real life
-If you get caught your character will be pretty weak from all the other things you've upgraded instead
-On fallout 3 its almost impossible to creep up on half the things

Heavy weapons is just you do shitloads of damage, but if you miss or fire anywhere near you, your pretty mcuh F**ked

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
First playthrough: sheer "how far can I go?" attitude- killed everyone, sold people into slavery, general arsery.

Second playthrough: utter exploration and survival.

It's a bloody fun game.

Lordkeppington

Jun 19, 2009
I tend to go with a charecter with good Lockpicking skills and a good repair and small arms skil and it works well for me and maybe some medicene along the way and its worked to get both my evil and good charecter up to 29 im just waiting till the last DLC before 30 :D

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
stealth my friend, as soon as you get out of the vault go down to the public of dave and get the "ol' painless" that gun was my best and only friend in the ruins of dc.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I use a mix of energy weapons and melee weapons while wearing power armor. I use the energy weapons while running into melee range and bust out my shishkebab. Energy weapons is also needed for the very useful cyborg perk.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
MaxChaos said:
First playthrough: sheer "how far can I go?" attitude- killed everyone, sold people into slavery, general arsery.

It's a bloody fun game.
Exactly the same as me.

Do try to be a dick on you're first playthrough. It's natural.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
TF2 Style. I pick a weapon set similar to a class: Baseball bat and combat shottie for example. Then I cause havok until I get bored. Then I pick another set.

"CRY SOME MORE!" -Me, shredding a raider camp to bits with Eugene.

Riley_Tahn

Aug 27, 2008
My most successful character specialized in melee weapons, energy weapons, and explosives. Shoot them up a couple times from a distance and back up around cover, dropping some mines while they close in for a good view of you, and melee the f**k out of anything that survives all that.
Works great for animals, or anything that uses melee as a default attack. Against gun wielders it can get kinda tricky though. But that's what Plasma Rifles are for, eh? =P

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
MaxChaos said:

It's a bloody fun game.
This. I had tons of fun doing this. On my second playthrough, I was a beacon of light towards everyone, but I also explored as much as I could.

Minimike3636

Mar 29, 2009
The only thing I STRONGLY urge, is to significantly boost your Small Guns skill. Unless you plan on walking around with a Fat-Man, you won't need Big Guns too much. I am Lv 20 and haven't fired a single Mini Nuke. Almost every firearm is a small gun, so that skill is 100% necessary (unless you use melee/unarmed).

As for stealth... I say screw it. Takes too much time to get in position and when it fails, your combat skills might fail you. I would focus on Small Guns and Medicine so you can storm into an area, kill your enemies quickly, and just take a quick healing session. Oh, and you should focus on Lockpick too.

For those of you wondering, the Dollhouse in Minefield that has a Very Hard lock only contains 3 Buffouts and maybe Pre-War money. Don't bother.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I upgraded Endurance, Strength and Intelligence.

Then I usually upgrade Small guns, Medicine, Stealth, and Lockpick

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
My first was terrible. My only skills that were at a hundred were small guns and repair. But thats all you need with an infinite supply of Tesla Armor, 5.56 ammo and the Xuanlong (sp?) Assault Rifle.

Second Was much better. Small guns, repair, and speech were all at 100. Sience was at 83, barter at 50, and energy weapons at 60. once again, infinite Tesla armor and 5.56 ammo combined with the Xuanlong assault rifle is a winning combination. Plus being neutral and giving Ms. Cross Tesla armor and A3-21's Plasma Rifle equals awesome protection.

Third was better than that. Good character who has mastered plasma weapons, science, repair and barter. Tesla armor with A3-21's Plasma Rifle is a great combination. Add Fawkes to that and I barely have to use any of my precious MF cells. That alien blaster was also fun to use but the ammo is too rare for me to use it a lot.

Also medicine was at nearly 100 for all but my first file.
Also stealth was never very useful to me. It might be good to have maybe 40 stealth skill for ranged sneak criticals but I never use stealth so I can't be of any help. I also found big weapons to be useless. Heavy and the ammo is scarce, and once you get Fawkes (if you play as a good guy/girl) all you might need is a rifle of some kind to help a little.

Solytus

Sep 2, 2008
One of my most successful characters was a sneak/small arms/lockpick character, but my most fun character, bar none, is an unarmed/charisma character named "Stanley Awesome."

And the Rock-it launcher is pretty cool, killing a super mutant with coffee mugs has a certain satisfaction to it. =)

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Strength - 7
Perception - 6 (or 7)
Endurance - 5
Charisma - 5
Intelligence - 8
Agility - 7 (or 8)
Luck - 1
I think that works out point-wise...

I tag Explosives, Small guns and Speech
I focus on Speech, Small guns, Repair, Science and Lockpick until they're full, and when I get 100 in Small guns, I start to fill Energy weapons to 100, while putting a couple of points in Big guns.
I also put a couple of points in Medicine whenever I get the chance.

Anyhoo:
a) Stealth isn't really worth to spend points in, since you can always just use a Stealth Boy if you want to steal something, and there's not much point to try to start every fight with a sneak critical. But you should focus on the Small guns skill though, since that's the one you'll use most, especially before you get to the higher levels.
b) The Rock-It Launcher uses almost every form of random junk as ammo. While that means that you'll practically never run out of ammo, that also means that all that junk will weigh you down, so you can't carry quite as much other stuff.
And most Power Armour weighs a lot and reduces your Agility (and thus your AP points, meaning you can't use V.A.T.S. quite as much), while it increases your Strength and gives alot of Damage Reduction (armor points].

But then again, those are just my opinions and you should play Fallout 3 with several different characters to get the biggest amount of fun out of it. Just do what you feel like and I'm sure it'll work out somehow ^.^

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I made a "pyschotic killer", going with meelee weapons, sneak and Speech, quite fun touring the wastelands as a serial killer chopping people up and eating them. Especially with the Pintsize slasher mask and an autoaxe, Fun times.