Fallout 3, will it be changed?

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I just hope they don't pull a No More Heroes.

And on the drug use problem, isn't addiction a bad thing? Do they really think that people want to be addicted to drugs?

Jack Sheehan

Oct 16, 2007
Aries_Split said:
clarinetJWD said:
From what I understand, the problem is two-fold. One part, the use of real world drugs, is easily changed (It's not the injection that's objectionable...look at Bioshock). THe second, however is harder: the game mechanic of addiction to said drug.
Australia needs to stop being difficult.
Blame This man: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Atkinson

clarinetJWD

Jul 9, 2008
Aries_Split said:
clarinetJWD said:
From what I understand, the problem is two-fold. One part, the use of real world drugs, is easily changed (It's not the injection that's objectionable...look at Bioshock). THe second, however is harder: the game mechanic of addiction to said drug.
Australia needs to stop being difficult.
That's the real problem, I guess!

Why they don't have an 18+ classification for games, like they do for every other media form, I have no idea... Just glad my country isn't so quick to ban games.

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
z121231211 said:
I just hope they don't pull a No More Heroes.

And on the drug use problem, isn't addiction a bad thing? Do they really think that people want to be addicted to drugs?
?
I'm not sure what to say about this statement other than you need some proper drug education.
drug addiction in a nutshell: no, people don't want to be addicted. Say for instance, someone tries a particular drug (let's say cocaine). They like the feeling after using cocaine, and continue to use it. Over time and continued use, their mind/body begins to crave the drug. At that time, the drug is no longer a want, but a need (in most cases anyway). That's addiction.

So...how does this relate to the problem relate to fallout 3? As I said in an earlier post, its seems like the law is aiming to cut out situations where drug use is not taken seriously or encouraged. Sorry to say, but in a way, Fallout does encourage drug use. You could argue the there are stiff penalties for becoming addicted within the game, but negative stats hardly equate to its real life equivalent.

rincewind42

Jul 23, 2008
I have to admit, ever since checking these forums and seeing how absurd Australian censorship is, I've lost a lot of respect for the country. I mean, I used to think it was this crazy place with beer and kangaroos, dingos eating babies, men in khakis wrestling stingrays. But really it just seems like your country is run by my grandmother, it's so timid. Isn't there some provision in Australian law providing for Free Speech?

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
@j-e-f-f-e-r-s: Well of course. I'm sorry if what I said came out wrong. I didn't mean it that the the game says "here, eat this. It's good for you"; and not that it encourages drug use in a fasion that forces you to use them to get through the game.

With respect to Bethesda, I'm sure they've handled it tastefully, as did Black Isle before them.

Unfortunately if AU law is dead set against drug usage in this form of media; allowing its use in your game, in any form, is a pretty big red flag.