Fallout 3's ending

The Groundkeeper

Jan 4, 2009
wow. what a game! i mean, really..
now that i've gotten to level 20, and there is apparently no leveling after that, what is there to do??
heh... well, my Little ***** will continue with this game.. but with a change of demeanor.
yes, my stupid little friends, she will be oh so much meaner.
i purposely did not follow the main quest line with the intention of doing as much as possible, and exploring everything else so that i would not end the game prematurely...
but it ended anyway for me with the acquisition of level 20, and somehow a rating of total goddamned JESUS...
well, now Little ***** will truly become a little *****.. and fuck EVERYTHING she comes across, and give everyone a one-way ticket to HELL.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i will agree that the ending didnt make sense, i had fawkes with me, a suit of T-51B armor, rad-x and a radiation suit on me. why couldnt i have just used that stuff or had fawkes go in there? besides, it really wasnt that much radiation, there was only 25 or so per second. the area around vault 86 had many times that. i tried to run it once with a advanced rad suit and rad-x and about 20 yards from the edge it was at 200+ rads per second.

that said, i kind of liked the ending. it sort of gave a sense of sacrifice to it all. you know, your character dies to bring life to the wasteland, all that stuff

but for those who didnt like it, the next dlc for fallout, broken steel, will continue the game past the ending. if you died, you probably only passed out and were taken back to the citedel and recovered. if you were that much of a dick to make sarah do it, then you will have to do without her.

oh, and it will up the level cap to 30 and add some more perks

nettkenneth

Apr 6, 2009
i felt that if you sent in the BOS girl you should live and have a chance to save som more people or destroy the post-apocalyptia some more and i was so smart i bougth the ps3 version so i don't get any dlc's to have fun with

Synek

Mar 31, 2009
I think devolepers should stop making the same good/evil path that is only a mirror of the other. Games with good/evil systems, the endings should be very difrent.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
My roomie had the same problem...

What the hell? My supermutant companion is IMMUNE to Radiation, why the hell can't HE turn it on? All he says is not to try to prevent my destiny? What The Hell?
He says something along the line of "We all have our destinies, I won't rob you of yours."

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Hey think about Fawke? Remember he has high resistance to Radiation, and if you "got him" why can't he do it?

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
ZenMonkey47 said:
I'll try to keep spoilers to a minimum.

Anyone else think that Fallout 3's good ending was a wall banger?

So you're asked to turn on the macguffin, problem is that it's surrounded by radiation thus giving you the chance to heroically sacrifice yourself for the good of all.

I like a good Jesus character as much as the next guy but...
1. What the heck happened to all the Rad-X and Radaway I have on my person? Coupled with my high medicine skill would make short work of ANY amount of radiation poisoning. Not to mention my advanced radiation suit, power armor, etc.
2. Ok, for whatever reason Rad-X and Radaway don't work (maybe it's super radiation. whatever) Why can't I just send my super mutant friend inside seeing as radiation doesn't bother them? Heck, to get the macguffin I had to enlist his help because of radiation. Don't tell me I'm THAT lawful stupid.
You are %100 right.

That is bullshit =p

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
My roomie had the same problem...

What the hell? My supermutant companion is IMMUNE to Radiation, why the hell can't HE turn it on? All he says is not to try to prevent my destiny? What The Hell?
Yes I shot him; the useless prick.

Vexer_Zero

Jul 17, 2008
I quite liked the ending, the self sacrafice makes me feel pretty good...

But yeah, having a super mutant companion who could quite easily just stroll on in their and become a hero, noticed as an inteligent form of life.....who decides against it in preferance of watching you die?

I saved your ass and you repay me buying telling me about destiny? God damn.....

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I've already posted this elsewhere, but it'll clarify some stuff for some people. Fawkes doesn't go into the chamber for you because...

He is supposedly in the faith of Zen Buddism, which has been speculated as the only way to retain your human personaily after being infected with FEV, and becomming a Super Mutant. Not only is the theory proven by Fawkes now an again uttering such phrases like "There is peace in mindfulness", but another friendly Super Mutant also says such things as "wonderful moon", another reference to Zen Buddism. It actually comes directly from a verse in the relgion, when a theif tries to steal from a man named Ryokan who has nothing to be theived, so gives him his clothes so the man doesn't have wasted trip. It then reads The thief was bewildered. He took the clothes and slunk away. Ryoken sat naked, watching the moon. "Poor fellow," he mused, "I wish I could have given him this beautiful moon."

Note, Uncle Leo only quotes the "wonderful moon" if the player character tries to rob in, after which he gives him a set of clothes as a "gift".

That might be quite a bit to take in at once though.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I think the history of it might be that you send the woman in because in fallout 2 (I think) you play as a decendent of the person who left the vault... so i guess the ending just makes you feel like a bit of a dick really.

Aperama

Oct 19, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
I've already posted this elsewhere, but it'll clarify some stuff for some people. Fawkes doesn't go into the chamber for you because...

He is supposedly in the faith of Zen Buddism, which has been speculated as the only way to retain your human personaily after being infected with FEV, and becomming a Super Mutant. Not only is the theory proven by Fawkes now an again uttering such phrases like "There is peace in mindfulness", but another friendly Super Mutant also says such things as "wonderful moon", another reference to Zen Buddism. It actually comes directly from a verse in the relgion, when a theif tries to steal from a man named Ryokan who has nothing to be theived, so gives him his clothes so the man doesn't have wasted trip. It then reads The thief was bewildered. He took the clothes and slunk away. Ryoken sat naked, watching the moon. "Poor fellow," he mused, "I wish I could have given him this beautiful moon."

Note, Uncle Leo only quotes the "wonderful moon" if the player character tries to rob in, after which he gives him a set of clothes as a "gift".

... Hate to ask this, and all, Sparrow, but..

What about the robot, then?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Aperama said:
Sparrow Tag said:

... Hate to ask this, and all, Sparrow, but..

What about the robot, then?
No idea. That one I always blank on. Following the karma level you have to have to recruit him, he is quite picky to say the least. The Mister Gutsy in Underworld has to stick to his programming even if he doesn't want to (He says on multiple occasions he hates all ghouls), so maybe it's no different for RL-3. It could be his programming.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
This may be an overeaction, but I just finished the game today and that ending almost killed all of my happy memories of the 60 or so hours it took me to get that far. No easy feat, I assure you. I don't even mind that there wasn't a real boss fight, but the game forcing you to kill yourself for no reason was just painful.