Fallout 4 Getting a Game of the Year Edition in September

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fallout 4 Getting a Game of the Year Edition in September

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421692.jpgFallout 4 is finally getting an all-inclusive Game of the Year Edition.

It's been nearly two years since Bethesda launched Fallout 4, the latest installment in its post-apocalyptic role-playing series. The game took players to Boston, where they played as a Vault dweller 210 years after the Great War. Now, Bethesda has announced that it is planning to release a Game of the Year Edition of Fallout 4 next month.

The new release will include the base game, as well as all the updates and add-ons. That means you'll get Nuka-World, the Vault-Tec Workshop, Contraptions Workshop, Wasteland Workshop, Far Harbor, and Automatron. That also means that additions like Survival Mode are also packed in.

In addition to the Game of the Year Edition, Bethesda plans to make a limited number of Fallout 4 G.O.T.Y. Pip-Boy collector editions available for $99.99, but only at "select retailers" in North America. Both versions will arrive on September 26 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
About time, I'd say. Waiting for it for ages as I knew this would appear at one point.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That felt like it took a lot longer then the other GOTY editions, and ironically it's the one I've been waiting for the most considering most of the DLC is just more ways to build your towns.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Meh. Made the mistake of buying it right off the bat. Lost all interest until someone makes a mod like project Brazil or The Frontier.

I never quite understood how people were able to overlook the mediocre (at best) writing throughout the game. Even the silver shroud quest was on the low end of good, and that was one of, what, 3 quests with anything interesting to do besides 'go here and kill everyone'? It's like Skyrim: a sandbox with a sign claiming it's a theater, but all the actors are buzz light-year or sheriff Woody toys: a cool/otherwise appealing face, cool dress, and competent voice actor; half a dozen lines, of which 2 are 'hello' and 'goodbye'; and nothing else.

I'm not gonna say it's an objectively shit game, but it sure as hell isn't good by RPG standards. Character progression and dialogue doesn't make an RPG, unless Call of Duty and Gears of War count (and funnily enough, those games are arguably better written). Kinda wish triple A RPGs were still a thing, but at least isometric ones are making a comeback. Yay, wasteland!

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Dalisclock said:
That felt like it took a lot longer then the other GOTY editions, and ironically it's the one I've been waiting for the most considering most of the DLC is just more ways to build your towns.
Yeah the dlc were pretty shit on this compared to something like new vegas huh. Sucks too considering how they priced it and the whole "theres too much value, we got to increase the season pass price!"

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
I'm all for Complete Editions, and not to nitpick, but who awarded FO4 a "Game of the Year"? The impression I had that the general consensus was "kinda cool, but disappointing for a "Fallout" game".

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Sentient6 said:
I'm all for Complete Editions, and not to nitpick, but who awarded FO4 a "Game of the Year"? The impression I had that the general consensus was "kinda cool, but disappointing for a "Fallout" game".
Yeah, Far Harbor and Automatron are good but the rest of the DLC is like for the people who actually don't want to play Fallout 4 but SimCity.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Quazimofo said:
I never quite understood how people were able to overlook the mediocre (at best) writing throughout the game.
Well, for starters: people have different opinions... so to some it clearly isn't mediocre.

Whilst I'd personally agree the writing could sometimes be awful, and the overall story was quite rushed and overly compacted, some of the writing was pretty good (Kellog's memory sequence is excellent, ditto much of - the at times superb - Far Harbour), and it's mostly the best quality voice acting and recording Bethesda have featured in a TES or Fallout. Courtenay Taylor is also superb as the [female] lead, and of what I've heard from LP's the bloke's more than good enough, too.

Those areas certainly represent a forward step from Bethesda.

Thematically it has some depth, too, i.e. presenting the Institute, Brotherhood, and Railroad as complicated folk typically made up of individuals who don't necessarily agree with each other as to their own crusade's cause.

It's like Skyrim: a sandbox with a sign claiming it's a theater, but all the actors are buzz light-year or sheriff Woody toys: a cool/otherwise appealing face, cool dress, and competent voice actor; half a dozen lines, of which 2 are 'hello' and 'goodbye'; and nothing else.
Well, iffy characterisations aside you're kinda missing the point of Bethesda's creations; TES and nu-Fallout are canvasses to tell your own stories. The player has to put a lot of the work in to get the most out of it.

...granted, Fallout 4's defined narrative and anti-RP opening is problematic, but even there it's not so simple in that it can be wholly dismissed, because---

I'm not gonna say it's an objectively shit game, but it sure as hell isn't good by RPG standards. Character progression and dialogue doesn't make an RPG...
Well, that depends on how you specifically choose to define RPG.

Which is better: Skyrim or Fallout 4 as a role-playing game? They're structured differently so it's a little misleading, but whilst Skryim has more RP freedom re background and motivation (which for me are foundational elements of ideal 'true' form of RP'ing), Fallout 4 does allow the player to lean the mostly defined PC towards the different factions, which in turn reflect very different sets of motivations and/or goals. A character who sides with the Brotherhood most likely wouldn't dream of siding with the Railroad, and so there are building blocks to use to craft story/RP arcs.

By comparison there is absolutely no choice whatsoever in Skyrim's MQ, and that total lack of choice extends to the dialogue, too, in that Fallout 4's system at least allows for a little more flavour text to help project your chosen, er, sub-type of role cut from the Sole Survivor's thematic cloth.

Then there's Fallout 4's role-playing trump card, for those who embrace it: the build mode. Nothing in any of the previous TES's or Fallout's can match what that system adds in terms of what amounts to environmental player narrative, as well as just plain pure creativity.

I used to create my own mods on Morrowind, including houses (and like a lot of people I also obsessively interior decorated with TES3's physics-free dropped items on vanilla), and Bethesda simply bolted on a simplified CS to Fallout 4, empowering the player -
particularly with mods - to shape their environment, base, settlement, etc, however they see fit. Great for role-playing, and creative expression.

Kinda wish triple A RPGs were still a thing, but at least isometric ones are making a comeback. Yay, wasteland!
Each to their own; I think I'd rather plunge rusty forks sporks into my eyes than play games that look like they were ripped from the '80's or '90's (and that very much includes fiddly PC flavoured control systems) - ideally, first-person or go home. Failing that, 3rdP.

I can't be immersed in a world I'm looking down on like some kind of--- er, videogame... For me the sense of projecting a role requires a full environment to explore and first-person. Bethesda's mainline games are flawed, and at times rather terrible, but no one else is providing the service they do and on the same scale (or with such mod potential and support).

I was a diehard Morrowhiner back in the day, but Fallout 4's actually been by far the most fun I've had with a Bethesda game since then, and that's doubly odd considering I've never really liked Fallout's world (swords > guns for me). Ah, and finally that's another thing in F4's credit; the core gameplay - which I don't think most would argue against being the best core game to actually play they've ever created. Not that hard, relatively speaking, to nail the basics of ranged combat, but it was still done very well.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Rather late isnt it? This isnt bringing the game to a new system, and well, I mean, which Year is the Y for?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sentient6 said:
"for a Fallout game" is the key.

I shit on Oblivion for being a far inferior game to Morrowind...but I still think Oblivion is far better than most games that exist.

Fallout 4 may not be the next step for Fallout fans wanted...but its still better than most games.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
GOTY? Pff, more like Disappointment of the Year.
Darth Rosenberg said:
I can't be immersed in a world I'm looking down on like some kind of--- er, videogame... For me the sense of projecting a role requires a full environment to explore and first-person.
But fucking around in what is essentially a Developer's Level Editor does not break your immersion?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Saelune said:
Sentient6 said:

I shit on Oblivion for being a far inferior game to Morrowind...but I still think Oblivion is far better than most games that exist.

Fallout 4 may not be the next step for Fallout fans wanted...but its still better than most games.
Are these fans the normal fans who just play the games or the irrational fans who complain that everything after Fallout 2 was shit? I am not really interested in what the latter think, as they give the former a really bad name. Also, what did they want? I enjoyed this game.

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Saelune said:
Sentient6 said:

Are these fans the normal fans who just play the games or the irrational fans who complain that everything after Fallout 2 was shit? I am not really interested in what the latter think, as they give the former a really bad name. Also, what did they want? I enjoyed this game.
Alot of fallout fans from newer additions to the older one. 4 as very meh and took away alot of what I liked from new vegas and 3 *shrugs* That and the dlc were overpriced shit

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
kenu12345 said:
FalloutJack said:
Saelune said:
Sentient6 said:

Alot of fallout fans from newer additions to the older one. 4 as very meh and took away alot of what I liked from new vegas and 3 *shrugs* That and the dlc were overpriced shit
Can't argue with DLC complaints. I buy editions like this to skirt around stuff like that. I will say that the DLCs of New Vegas were more interesting than the core story, to me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Saelune said:
Sentient6 said:

I love Bethesda's Fallout but I love The Elder Scrolls. Still, I dont blame any old school Fallout fans who hate where the series went. Fallout 1 and 2 is very different from 3 on. (Though I find it funny all the people who praise NV as if NV doesnt play like an expansion of 3)

I also feel like something is...off with 4. I still love it and played it alot (and will play it alot again), but I think I still like 3 more.

kenu12345

Aug 3, 2011
FalloutJack said:
kenu12345 said:
FalloutJack said:
Saelune said:
Sentient6 said:

Can't argue with DLC complaints. I buy editions like this to skirt around stuff like that. I will say that the DLCs of New Vegas were more interesting than the core story, to me.
Got to agree there. The dlc on new vegas were phenomal and I loved the over arching stuff. Felt like an arc that ended to a big climax. I just dont want to support this honestly with how the dlc on 4 was and this is personal but I am still salty bout that season pass price increase when the content was mostly workshop shit

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Saelune said:
I love Bethesda's Fallout but I love The Elder Scrolls. Still, I dont blame any old school Fallout fans who hate where the series went. Fallout 1 and 2 is very different from 3 on. (Though I find it funny all the people who praise NV as if NV doesnt play like an expansion of 3)

I also feel like something is...off with 4. I still love it and played it alot (and will play it alot again), but I think I still like 3 more.
I wouldn't blame fans of the old series if they behaved like normal human beings, instead of pod people.

To those that have an informed opinion without a hatredsaurus in your backyard, hiya.

Fallout 4 is different, but as one who has enjoyed the old AND the new series, this doesn't bother me so much.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
I managed to snag the full game and all DLC for 20 bucks due to a combination of sales and gifts. Unfortunately, it still wasn't worth it for that price. It's a damn shame that Bethesda continues to drive two classic game franchises, Elder Scrolls and Fallout, into the mud with terrible games.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I don't get the hate for FO4's DLC.

You have 3 things primarily dedicated to side-things;

Contraptions
Vault-Tec
Wasteland Workshop

And then 3 Story DLCs;

Automatron - New Faction, Robot Building, Robot Invasion of Commonwealth
Far Harbor - Unravel the mystery of Far Harbor and Nick's Past
Nuka World - Travel the Nuka World amusement park and become it's absolute ruler and wreck the Commonwealth if you want (or bury those Raider asshats and free everyone)

If you bought the Season Pass when it originally came out, you got a goddamn steal. If you bought it later, you basically got 1 Story or two Workshop DLCs free.

And the number of story DLC's is comparable to past titles too - Oblivion had 2, FO3 had 3.5, NV had 3.5, Skyrim had 2 etc. So FO4 having 2.5 Story DLCs is on par with Oblivion and Skyrim, and just behind FO3 and NV. While it doesn't have a Broken Steel, Shivering Isles, Dragonborn, OWB, LR, Far Harbor is easily one better story DLCs, and Nuka-World is still fun.