Fallout 4 High Resolution Texture Pack is Now Available on PC

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fallout 4 High Resolution Texture Pack is Now Available on PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1380/1380506.jpgBethesda has released an official high-resolution texture pack for the PC version of Fallout 4, and you can download it for free.

Bethesda has rolled out a high-resolution update for Fallout 4, as it said last week that it was going to. The pack is a whopping 58 GB in size, so if hard drive space is at a premium for you, you may want to give this one a pass.

Here's the official description of the pack:

"Experience the wasteland like you've never seen it before with the Fallout 4 High-Resolution Texture Pack! From the blasted buildings of Lexington to the shores of Boston Harbor and beyond, every location is enhanced with ultra-deluxe detail."

There's a similar pack headed to the PS4 version of the game that will be added as PS4 Pro support. It's supposed to land this week as well, but Bethesda has yet to announce just when that will be.

These releases come as Bethesda's Pete Hines revealed on the Kinda Funny Gamecast [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zwOtAIFP88] that Fallout 4 has passed up Skyrim as the developer's most successful game. Hones said, "Fallout 4 has gotta be the most successful game we've ever launched in our company's history. More than Skyrim, in terms of what we did."

If you're still playing Fallout 4, you can grab the new high-res texture pack for free on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/540810/].

[gallery=6909]

Feb 7, 2016
I just...don't understand why it's so large in size. The game itself, with expansions, barely makes it that large.

Texture pack mods that cover the same stuff aren't this big. What makes it so big?!

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
So, like the official Skyrim texture pack, it's optional DLC huh? Good, this game doesn't look good enough to warrant needing a 1080 (basing this opinion on video footage I've seen, so take it worth a grain of salt).

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
DarklordKyo said:
So, like the official Skyrim texture pack, it's optional DLC huh? Good, this game doesn't look good enough to warrant needing a 1080 (basing this opinion on video footage I've seen, so take it worth a grain of salt).
These are likely to be 4K scaled textures, which do run pretty large for mods as well.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Shadefyre said:
These are likely to be 4K scaled textures, which do run pretty large for mods as well.
Yeah, it's for 4k gaming. If you play in 1080, there is no need to get the pack.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Interesting, I will see if I can run this parallel wity NMM and my other mods installed so that I could do some comparisons.

008Zulu said:
Shadefyre said:
Yeah, it's for 4k gaming. If you play in 1080, there is no need to get the pack.
Oi! That is not how texture resolution works.

In essence, you take apart the mesh and lay it out flat like skinning a bear. It cannot fit perfectly in the 4096x4096 resolution square lest you stretch it and cause distortions thus your mesh has a limited amount of pixel density which means that not all of that 4K detail is getting concentrated in one particular spot, let alone coming any wheres near the pixel density of a 1080p monitor. This of course means that the difference will not only be noticeable at 1080p but it will also mean that you can get up close to any of the meshes and will see a world of difference when it comes to the detail and amount of pixelisation that is inevitable.

If I do then I could pack more individual objects into a single UDIM tile without compromising said pixel density but will likely make it more unwieldy to work with so many objects on the same texture ID. It would require significant amount of isolating and procedural work.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Saulkar said:
This of course means that the difference will not only be noticeable at 1080p but it will also mean that you can get up close to any of the meshes and will see a world of difference when it comes to the detail and amount of pixelisation that is inevitable.
Everyone in the Steam forums, who play at 1080 with the pack, have stated there is no appreciable difference.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I just...don't understand why it's so large in size. The game itself, with expansions, barely makes it that large.

Texture pack mods that cover the same stuff aren't this big. What makes it so big?!
The texture pack mods likely don't cover everything. There's always that one or two textures that's only seen once or twice and thus it's easy to forget making a texture, and then you have the media-based textures such as advertising that's hard to enhance unless you intend to replace the whole thing with a completely new and higher-resolution texture. From there those textures are usually compressed into a DXT1- or DXT5-based DDS format.

DXT1 is the most compressed of the formats, using 4-bit color and 1-bit alpha, meaning the color range is low leaving odd discolorations like black looking more towards green or purple, and the texture does not support alpha blending meaning rough edges on transparent textures. DXT5 compresses in 8-bit color and has full alpha, so it does support alpha blending with less discoloration in the texture. There are other lesser-used formats like DXT3 and some formats made by ATI, and a few other formats that favor color accuracy over compression, which may be what this HD pack uses. However, DDS formats weren't built for the large-scale textures modelers use these days, resulting in minimal compression in images that are larger than 2K and don't use indexed color.

(I usually avoid texture packs for Fallout games because there's always something in the pack that replaces fake brand advertising with 40s or 50s-era advertising with real brands, or include modern real-world components into the textures, compromising the consistency of the theme.)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
008Zulu said:
Saulkar said:
This of course means that the difference will not only be noticeable at 1080p but it will also mean that you can get up close to any of the meshes and will see a world of difference when it comes to the detail and amount of pixelisation that is inevitable.
Everyone in the Steam forums, who play at 1080 with the pack, have stated there is no appreciable difference.
Then it is either they do not know where to look or the texture pack is bad, ie: They upscaled the textures from a lower resolution source. The original point still stands, there are no reasons for 4K textures to be limited to a 4K screen unless it is being applied to something small, like a soup can. That is why textures are scaled accordingly to the size and importance of an object. For a person, it definitely would improve it. This also makes me wonder if it is a problem pertaining to sensitivity. I remember the first time seeing a 4K screen, the first time experiencing 120FPS, the first time rendering out a 16K texture, and appreciating each and every moment of it while most people I know cannot tell the difference. Even when I zoomed in and circled it!

The only ones that could were other gamers or 3D artists.

EDIT: I looked at some comparison shots and it is clear what they did.

In some instances you can clearly see the benefits:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=1bc09506-ece0-11e6-8b75-0edaf8f81e27

But in others, they did what I thought they did:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=03ab2430-ece1-11e6-8b75-0edaf8f81e27

They upscaled the original diffuse and specular layer and added some noise/grime to the texture to break it up a bit more but did not actually build off of a higher resolution then down-sample. This is enormously apparent with the unchanged normal map.