Fallout 4 Locked At 30 FPS on Consoles

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
HA HA HA!

oooh, woooooh. That's some funny stuff. PC wins again. Well at least consoles have modding, right? A few weapons and bugfixes, cuz no script extender or anything good. They might even get charged for it, which is just dandy.

And after they said it would run at 60fps and 1080p at E3. Ha!

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
All open-world games should be played on the PC regardless, Bethesda games especially. Not just because of the extra graphical options the PC provides, but most importantly because of the command console.

If these games glitch out, a simple line in the § command input will fix almost any problem. On a gaming console you're basically screwed until the dev comes around and fixes it for you.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Gailim said:
to everyone upset:

would you rather the game looked worse and ran at 60 or look good and run at 30

those are your options.
I say that this should be a built in choice if possible. If possible, add an option in the menu to cut down graphics for framerate. That way, you get the best of both worlds (as opposed to people used to 60 being forced to play at 30).

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
my first thought was "haha shame peasants" but then i remembered that consoles have never been graced with frame rates as smooth as the paster race receives so i dont see the big deal so long as the game is not gimped or otherwise held back by the crippled i dont see the issue. you wont miss what you never had yes?

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
As a consold peasent. I've grown to expect this. I have my gaming pc some how still play more consold. Guess I been condition to it over time. *Shrug*

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Little Gray said:
Mister K said:
I dunno, I had PS3 and PC versions of Fallout 3 and never noticed any differnce between them in both framerate AND quality of the graphics.

I am still going to buy F4 for PC though (because I don't have PS4, yet).
Lets face it here thats a load of crap and you know it. Bethesda has never made a ps3 game that actually ran well. It has always been the worst of the three incredibly buggy versions.
Well, the only actual bug I had with PS3 version is that the game once refused to leave VATS after I already killed an enemy ant, so I had to reload. Meanwhile on PC I had characters sinking into the ground, framerate drops and crashes.

I played Skyrim on PS3 and it was bug-free experience, except for one time when I killed a dragon and didn't get the soul.

Every experience with Bethesda games is different.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I thought that the Xbone and PS4 were supposed to be these big and powerful gaming machines. Seems like they are hardly doing better than their predecessors.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gailim said:
to everyone upset:

would you rather the game looked worse and ran at 60 or look good and run at 30

those are your options.
ID rather the game looked worse and ran at 60. In fact given the choice i lower my graphic settings to increase my framerate to 60. Framerate is critical to controls and id avoid "controls like a boat" where i can. Heck, id even accept lower resolution to increase framerate sometimes. Altrough if a game cannot run 60 at minimum settings and 1080p something is seriously wrong with the game or the hardware is severely outdated. Considering that we know that Xbox Ones graphical power is equivalent to that of a videocard released 5 years ago, id say the latter.

WhiteTigerShiro said:
At least they're being upfront about it, and not trying to pull some "It looks better this way" or "it'll look more cinematic" excuse.
I think that tweet is very good. It states facts, gets to the point and does not weasel out. It states whats going to be and leaves others to decide for themselves if they like it or not. Bethesda still knows how to PR properly.

MHR said:
cuz no script extender or anything good.
I keep seeing that, but what makes you think that script extenders cannot be run on Xbox (that is essentially running gutted windows 8 anyway)?

lancar said:
All open-world games should be played on the PC regardless, Bethesda games especially. Not just because of the extra graphical options the PC provides, but most importantly because of the command console.
corect me if im wrong, but hasnt command console in skyrim also available on consoles? i think i saw people claiming to have used it on xbox and the like. i mean there is no actual reason why it cannot be included, right?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
When it comes to games made with the Creation Engine, I'm more worried about the game breaking glitches than the freakin' FPS!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I have never been bothered by this. I've played games with far inferior average frame rates than 30. It'll be fine.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
BayouStalker said:
Honestly though, it's looking more and more like the 30/60fps is a bit of a hardware issue at this point.
Yes and no.
Yes they need to limit it to run smoothly on the hardware, but no because they could get it to run at 60fps if they really wanted to. For the same reason that a PC can either get amazing fps or best looking graphics (unless you go overboard like I did in my PC), they could turn the effects etc down and have 1080p @ 60fps.

Thing is they prefer to maximise the graphics settings so screenshots look the best possible. Marketing material doesn't show the benefit of higher framerate but that higher resolution texture and longer draw distance is perfect for a poster. No matter what the console specs were we would see 30fps as they would use the power towards looks rather than framerate. Well unless the console was a top end PC level of specs but then it'd be too expensive.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Strazdas said:
MHR said:
I keep seeing that, but what makes you think that script extenders cannot be run on Xbox (that is essentially running gutted windows 8 anyway)?
If it could handle it, script extender wouldn't even exist. PC has to mod in what the stupid consoles can't do.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Fallout is technologically groundbreaking? The buggy mess cobbled together by modding the Oblivion/Skyrim engine? Speaketh we of the same games?

With Bethesda as a whole, Skyrim got stuck at 13 fps or so half the time on PS3 for the better part of a year before they finally patched it into something resembling functional, then it still was coin tossing on whether you could complete half the quests without them bugging out.

I'll be glad with Fallout 4 not quest bugging all over the place and in 30fps.

(Interestingly, with ESO I haven't hit any glitches yet, other then occasionally being disconnected from their server for excessive messaging while doing nothing)

Lugun

May 7, 2005
I'm under the impression that we'll see very few games at 60fps this generation of consoles. Any actual graphically pleasing games will always and only run at 30fps due to either that both Xbone and PS4 came out already using substandard hardware, because it was cheaper and that's business, always go with the cheapest bidder (screw what people want, your in it to make money), or because Xbone simply cannot handle anything over 30fps and has asked or signed contracts with developers to never allow anything to be developed over 30fps for consoles because that would make them look bad.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Look, I'm going to be buying this game on my PC just because it's a Bethesda game and they're all about them mods, but 30 FPS isn't a game breaker. Most gamers don't have a clear distinction between 30 FPS and 60 FPS.

Is 60 FPS better to play with? Sure. But does that mean that people with the console game won't love the title and love their time playing it? No. Not unless you're the basest of graphiophiles.

I would far rather have 1080p than 60 FPS. I'm not so naïve as to believe that my $400 console is going to perform at the same level as my $1,000 pc. This is just silly.

For the record though, the average pc is also going to have trouble displaying these types of games at 60 FPS and 1080p. So we're really talking about a non-issue. Only people like me with a power PC are going to have the more "advance FPS" version and I don't think we're enough in number to be relevant.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Eh, doesn't bother me much. I'll still buy the PS4 version first, then migrate over to PC once the GOTY edition is down to twenty dollars.

Lugun

May 7, 2005
All I'm saying is that right before the Xbone and PS4 were release, at some game convention, we were promised games at 60fps and 1080p, and we're simply not getting that.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
After picking up a gtx 960 ti for my pc I'm a mouse's tit away from selling my ps4.

It plays the Witcher 3 at an avg 45fps on a mix of high/ultra settings, but every other game on ultra at 50+.

And since most games are designed for consoles these days (and ported to pc) I feel pretty safe that it's gonna handle the next two to three years of games just fine. I mean, as long as whoever did the arkham knight port doesn't do it.

I only use it now for Netflix and Youtube, and everytime youtube shoves an ad in my face I start wondering why I'm not running a video on my adblocked pc.

The "Next Generation" of consoles is a frigging joke.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Randomvirus said:
After picking up a gtx 960 ti for my pc I'm a mouse's tit away from selling my ps4.

It plays the Witcher 3 at an avg 45fps on a mix of high/ultra settings, but every other game on ultra at 50+.

And since most games are designed for consoles these days (and ported to pc) I feel pretty safe that it's gonna handle the next two to three years of games just fine. I mean, as long as whoever did the arkham knight port doesn't do it.

I only use it now for Netflix and Youtube, and everytime youtube shoves an ad in my face I start wondering why I'm not running a video on my adblocked pc.

The "Next Generation" of consoles is a frigging joke.
You paid $400 for a plug and play console that is capable of playing all these games that are custom made to work on that machine.

If you want 60 FPS at 1080p on graphically demanding FPS games then you're going to spend more.

This generation's consoles are average. Just average and that's all they need to be at the price we're paying. They're a HUGE step up from the first console generation that saw realistic games that are still enjoyable to play so a huge step up from that is great. If you're a graphiophile then sure, it may not be good enough for you but I enjoy my consoles AND PC and will play certain types of games on one or the other for various reasons. I sure as hell don't make my choice off of frames per second or even screen resolution unless it's a major difference. But I don't think anyone promised that these machines would kill a massive crossfired liquid cooled behemouth born out of hell's fire itself with the sole goal of delivering pleasure to all who used it.

Sony tried to cater to people like you the last generation. Not only did they fail but it nearly bankrupted the gaming division and saw huge losses. Same with the 360.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
MHR said:
Strazdas said:
MHR said:
If it could handle it, script extender wouldn't even exist. PC has to mod in what the stupid consoles can't do.
Im not sure i understand. Script extenders run scripts that a game normally cannot run on PC. Since Xbox is basically a gutted PC with locked down specs, why do you think it could not run same script extenders? the Xbox One runs on a variant of Windows 8 to begin with, it has a capability to run those at least in theory.