Fallout 4 Mods Are Headed to PS4, But There Are Some Issues

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Fallout 4 Mods Are Headed to PS4, But There Are Some Issues

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330051.jpgBethesda is about to begin testing Fallout 4 mods on PS4, but they are running into some restrictions along the way.

Bethesda has updated the Fallout 4 Creation Kit to support uploading mods to PlayStation 4. This is in preparation for the launch of mods on the console later this month.

Along with this update come some new issues that are unique to the PS4. First up is the mod size limit. On Xbox One, that limit is 2 GB. On PS4, it is currently set to 900 MB. The second issue is that when using PC textures, memory and performance issues pop up. Finally, sound files are currently not supported for PS4 mods, as the console uses a proprietary sound format.

Bethesda is aware of all of these issues, and is currently working with Sony to correct them. That said, this could be a setback to modding on PS4 until they are resolved.

The private beta for Fallout 4 PS4 mods should be starting soon.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
wow no sound files? so that basically counts new weapons out unless they use vanilla sounds

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
ravenshrike said:
Also known as Bethesda made a really shitty port rather than doing a proper job.
Hate to defend a port of Bethesda but:

The second issue is that when using PC textures, memory and performance issues pop up.
That is solely the fault of using an underpowered overcharged PC as the base.
And I'm sure absolutely nobody is surprised by this.
I'm just surprised that this wasn't an issue with the XBone.

Finally, sound files are currently not supported for PS4 mods, as the console uses a proprietary sound format.
Sony's fault for wanting to be special.

Whose fault the small size of the mods is I have no idea.

pookie101 said:
wow no sound files? so that basically counts new weapons out unless they use vanilla sounds
Even worse that most likely means no well written companions with actual personality.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Wasn't it also the case that some scum put up mods created by other modders and then asked people to donate?

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Alleged_Alec said:
Wasn't it also the case that some scum put up mods created by other modders and then asked people to donate?
Yes that is currently a discussion happening elsewhere in the forums but so far has not stopped mods on consoles in any way, just put people off uploading them or going out of their way to make them incompatible with consoles. A bit off the topic of the piece :)

Hands up here though, I honestly though this would happen on the Xbox rather than the PS4 which leaves me a little disappointed knowing I will likely see delays to the oh so needed mods for me. But no indication of *WHY* the load limit is lower worries me a bit. Please SONY pull your finger out and assist them with this.

Jun 20, 2013
Unless Sony forces all software to use that format, that's also Bethesda's fault. Format support is a software issue. It's possible Sony has a bunch of BS restrictions, but it sounds more likely to be a shitty port. The texture issue is a major red flag for this.

I actually don't see Sony forcing devs to use a specific sound format, because that would just alienate droves of developers who would prefer to use something like the hugely popular OGG Vorbis.

My guess, Bethesda had issues with the sound API, so they opted to take the easy way out and use something like FMOD. Most third party sound libraries/APIs are proprietary.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Or in other news Bethesda don't want to support the playstation platform, as they have a pretty bad history of doing so?
Wanting the money of the platform, but not wanting to put the effort in, same thing currently as with their attitude to mods as a whole.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
The second issue is that when using PC textures, memory and performance issues pop up.
That was a given since those mods even have warnings that may cause some performance drops.

Dornedas said:
That is solely the fault of using an underpowered overcharged PC as the base.
My PC isn't that impressive but can still handle high definition mods. :)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Unsurprisingly, Bethesda is too incompetent to even program mod support for the PS4.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Of course graphical enhancements will consume more RAM. That is not an issue that Sony and Bethesda can resolve. That's simply how computers of any kind works.

The sound issue and file size limit though, those can and should be addressed.