Fallout 4 PC System Requirements Announced

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Good to know. Though I won't be getting Fallout 4 at launch, I definitely will be getting it. Highly doubt that it will need such a kick ass i7 though, I've nearly maxed out Witcher 3 (without HairFX) with an i5-2400 (not OC) and a 970gtx. Soooo, in case anyone was wondering, I wouldn't be fussed if you have an older i5. Could be wrong though.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Hmm, when I put together my rig, I was pretty sure I was safe for awhile before games started needed any equipment upgraded to play decently.

I'm running with

Amd 8 core (fx) 8120 processor

Gforce Gtx 750 TI graphics card (2 gig ram)

8 gigs of base ram

And windows 7 64 bit

When I was putting my comp together I did research and was told that more base ram for my system would not really improve performance at all for games. A better graphics card might, but that a 2 gig one (The one I got) should be able to run most games on max settings or close.

I also though my processor was more then enough for any games and would be for along time.

But it does not look like I even make the recommended stats for fallout 4? I thought we where done with having to replace our computers every few years finally!!

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Woah, running X 955 with radeon 7950 i'm borderline fine. Though, i should look up if a can afford to upgrade something. It's more than a year since the last time. Probably the motherboard. My guess, an AM3+ board handles a AM3 processor better than an AM3 board an AM3+ processor.

Interesting part is, that it seems to be a 64 bit program and now wonder what that means for the Script Extender and if it will get a PapyrusUtil.

Yomandude

Dec 9, 2010
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Will it run on my Grundy NewBrain or do I have to upgrade to a C64?
I've heard good things about the Nokia N-Gage. Might want to see if they get a port.

OT: To be honest, I'm not super tech literate, so I'm a bit confused on how an i7 CPU with 2.7 GHz base speed would stack up against older but supposedly faster models.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Recommended specs must be weighted for the 30+ mods everyone will have running, and that you'll be spawning hordes of mobs and NPCs with god mode to watch them play Risk in the wasteland. Come to think of it, I want to play that game now.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Yomandude said:
sonicneedslovetoo said:
Will it run on my Grundy NewBrain or do I have to upgrade to a C64?
I've heard good things about the Nokia N-Gage. Might want to see if they get a port.

OT: To be honest, I'm not super tech literate, so I'm a bit confused on how an i7 CPU with 2.7 GHz base speed would stack up against older but supposedly faster models.
These days you just have to look at synthetic benchmarks, clock speeds mean practically nothing when you're not comparing directly to the same processor. And even then pretty much beyond a certain point your processor doesn't mean anything for certain games.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
mad825 said:
otakon17 said:
Crap I'm worried, apparently my GPU isn't hefty enough to run it... I can run Crysis 2 on near maximum settings and Dragon Age Inquisition on medium-high setting but apparently can't run this...
It will be using the same engine as Skyrim.

Quite frankly, unless they dumped a whole load of crap (foliage and objects)that serves no practical purpose for gameplay then you should be fine.
Wait really? Hell I can run Skyrim on max or near max so I should be fine. So basically, turn down the draw distance and I should be alright. Cool.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, I've got the minimum, except for that I'm still running Vista 64. I've played a handful of games that claimed they needed 7 and ran just fine on Vista; we'll see.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
OK this is worrying i might have to build a new rig soon or maybe overclock and upgrade the one i have i am only a small amount over recommended specs in the CPU and only double the recorded RAM and they have listed the equivalent to my GPU i max out everything else i play but i hope i can get by with just lowering the shadows a bit on this one
also FO4 has been on pre-order for some time why did Bethseda not release the specs then? i grabbed it up expecting to be able to run it with this beast especially given how weak the PS4 and XBone were but now im not so sure

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Charcharo said:
Mad World said:
Charcharo said:
Once more artificially bumped up requirements. Also the 7870 is much more powerful than the 550 TI...

Meh. Weaker PCs will max it out. Again.

And I am ROFLING at the i7 requirement...
An i5 will max it. Even second gen ones. I am 100% certain of it
Yeah... something isn't right. Either it is horribly optimized or the requirements aren't accurate. I'm sure that the game is, generally speaking, demanding; it is a very ambitious title. However, I'm not buying it (the requirements, that is; I may purchase the game).
Not really. ALL GAMES WITHOUT EXCEPTION have artificially buffed requirements. Fallout 4 is just following the trend. It might even be very optimized...
I remember how Shogun 2 came out and it recommended an i7 and that game doesn't even take proper advantage of 2 friggin cores. Can't trust any CPU requirements these days.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Seadren said:
I'd wager that it's poorly optimized, Bethesda have a bad habit of releasing games in states like that, hell it's still a massive pain in the arse to get Fallout 3 running.

And to think I just bought an i7 and GTX 970 so I could guarantee to play this, seems like a massive overkill now :(
Fallout 3 has issues now because it's not as compatible with current Operating Systems. Top-of-the-range PCs back when the game was released probably played the game better than we can now with current hardware. Same with New Vegas, if I am correct.

And may be overkill, but it's good to have peace of mind. And, you'll be able to handle the inevitable texture mods better than others. ;)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Allegedly the only way my rig falls short is in the GPU, cos I'm still rocking an HD6970-2GB who so far has just said the same thing to games as Muhammed Ali said to George Foreman.

So I figure I'll be fine.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
mad825 said:
Quite frankly, unless they dumped a whole load of crap (foliage and objects)that serves no practical purpose for gameplay then you should be fine.
Resolution will be a major factor too, also, I think that the posted requirements are for future proofing for the high res texture pack they will release.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
otakon17 said:
mad825 said:
It will be using the same engine as Skyrim.
Wait really? Hell I can run Skyrim on max or near max so I should be fine. So basically, turn down the draw distance and I should be alright. Cool.
If you're referring to the same way that Titanfall runs on the same engine as Portal, then yes. However they've had four years to develop the Creation Engine and they're saying Fallout 4 will use a "Next-Gen" version with better physics, dynamic lighting and more advanced AI, which all account for incresed use of CPU/GPU/memory resources.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I've got a bit of money to spare. Should I consider upgrading my RAM from 8gb to 16gb for this? I'm afraid that since the ram of the current gen is equivalent to mine that FO4 will hog a lot of ram.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
so with these pc specs
AMD Randeon HD 7670
LogMeIn Mirror Driver
64 bit operating system
RAM 10.0 GB
processor intel(R) core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GH
will I be able to play fallout 4/or what to get to play it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Hmmm, I'm two gigs of RAM off and missing about a whole gigahert off the minimum, but I can run Skyrim fairly well...

Time to see if my desk is fire-retardant.