Fallout 4 Snags Game Critics Awards' Best of Show Honor

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Fallout 4 Snags Game Critics Awards' Best of Show Honor

The Game Critics Awards E3 2015 results have been announced, with Fallout 4 taking the title of Best of Show.

The results of the Game Critics Awards for E3 2015 [http://gamecriticsawards.com/winners.html] were announced Tuesday. In addition to snagging the top honor of Best of Show for the year, Fallout 4 also picked up awards for Best PC Game and Best Role Playing Game.

The Escapist's pick for the honor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14194-Best-of-Show-E3-2015], Star Wars Battlefront, picked up Best Online Multiplayer and Best Action Game.

A platform breakdown shows PlayStation 4 taking twelve wins, PC taking nine, and Xbox One picking up seven. Finishing off the list are Wii U and Nintendo 3DS with one win each. Sony Computer Entertainment topped the publishers with five wins.

You can view the full list below. Do you agree with the choices? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Best of Show - Fallout 4

Best Original Game - Horizon Zero Dawn

Best Console Game - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Best Handheld/Mobile Game - The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes

Best PC Game - Fallout 4

Best Hardware/Peripheral - Oculus Touch

Best Action Game - Star Wars Battlefront

Best Action/Adventure Game - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Best Role Playing Game - Fallout 4

Best Racing Game - Need for Speed

Best Sports Game - FIFA 16

Best Family/Social Game - Super Mario Maker

Best Online Multiplayer - Star Wars Battlefront

Best Independent Game - No Man's Sky

Special Commendation for Graphics - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Given that Fallout 4 announced PC mods coming to console play during the Xbox event, I'd be inclined to give it "Best Console Game" as well. Especially since Uncharted 4 just looked like more of Uncharted while the potential of mods being brought to consoles has the ability to be a real game changer, I'd say that makes even more of a case for it.

But, whatever. Always nice to see good games getting accolades.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not saying Uncharted games aren't fun or worthy of praise. I actually quite like them. Just saying Fallout 4 seems like it'll be really great is all.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Good....Fallout 4 is a console seller. Well, it sold current gen for me as i know i will enjoy that game. Now No Mans Sky would be 2nd but i think they will fuck up with it. I just see too many planets that are similar except with different colour sky and grass. An this is me, i played Elite and Frontier Elite 2 as a kid and loved it (until the bugs ruined it). I want reason to explore or are the planets going to get as boring as in Mass Effect...just crappy planets with a few points of interest....that arnt even interesting?

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Im looking forward to Fallout 4 as much as anyone, but can we stop awarding unreleased games? Seriously, how did this become a thing?

It feels like a modern AAA game has more awards before release then a great, classic AAA game from 15 years ago would 5 years after release.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
I love it when games get awards even before it even hits the stores.

It is as if it is destined to be big hitter.

(it will still sell well regardless of what I say, oh well.)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
if I'm understanding this correctly it says more about their presentation than it does about the actual game...

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Not surprising. They showed way more than I think anybody was reasonably expecting.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
There are awards for E3 Now!? Best PC Game!? Are you fucking kidding me!?

This is some of the worst wank I have ever seen. I'm definitely going to bring this up again if these best games turn out to be absolute shit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This reminds me of that channel 4 show; Top 100 TV Adverts, as voted for by the public.

Except E3 is a currently relevant/running advert and the awards are not decided by public voting.

Perhaps it is just a bit of fun and we are being buzz-killingtons. Perhaps we should all let go and fall backwards into the hype pool for a moment. I mean, it does look pretty warm and...well everyone there appears to be having a lot of fun.
Or are these the beckons of the coastal sirens?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Best of Show? I didn't realize E3 now included a pedigree animal competition. How many times did the judge have Fallout 4 circle back around the stage area before giving it the top honors? I imagine there's a disgruntled Labrador or Poodle sitting at home wondering why it wasn't invited. Seriously, best of show? It's like giving awards to movies based on how much hype their trailer can create.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Gorrath said:
Best of Show? I didn't realize E3 now included a pedigree animal competition. How many times did the judge have Fallout 4 circle back around the stage area before giving it the top honors?
Oh someone needs to photoshop a dogshow GIF with game boxes over the dogs, like they're just parading those things around and touching them, inspecting them.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This is some really depressing news. Not only are the games not even out yet, but they barely showed anything at all. They should make a "Best cinematic trailer presented as in-game footage" awards. That would actually make sense.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
This is like judging a food awards competition while all the chefs are still in the kitchen cooking their meals.

"Gordon Ramsay's cheese grating technique is top notch, let's award him with 'best bolognaise'."

We have very little idea how any of these games actually play or will perform. To hand out awards like "Best RPG", "Best Hardware" and "Best Multiplayer" when virtually all of these are very much still in the development phase is quite ridiculous. Any of these games could completely fail to deliver. In fact some of them probably will.

SmugFrog said:
Gorrath said:
Best of Show? I didn't realize E3 now included a pedigree animal competition. How many times did the judge have Fallout 4 circle back around the stage area before giving it the top honors?
Oh someone needs to photoshop a dogshow GIF with game boxes over the dogs, like they're just parading those things around and touching them, inspecting them.
I don't know how to edit gifs, but I made this:

So that's now something.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Vault101 said:
if I'm understanding this correctly it says more about their presentation than it does about the actual game...
... and the award for the tootiest hype train goes to....

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Any Games Media outlet that gives awards for anything shown at E3 can't be trusted as independent from publishers. They rely on those publishers adverts for they're very existence and hype up unreleased games, regardless of quality or content.
Even if a demo exists for the media to play. It isn't the actual game and can't be relied on to be an honest representation.

The often ignored call, "Don't Pre-order", is being called obsolete on PC due to Steam Refunds. It makes no difference, getting rid of content for pre-ordering is the main reason after refunds, which many still can't get even for Batman. With less obviously broken games, Steam's 2 hours cutoff limit isn't going to help if what breaks your game is after that point.
GOG's system of 30 days guaranteed for broken games, is more reasonable and the fact that you get a DRM free installer is worth the tradeoff of no "I don't like it", refund.

If you must buy a brand new game, ignore all pre-release hype or anti-hype read and watch independent reviews that don't come from publishers paid for sites.

Most of all, though numeric scores are useless for rating games. They do have a newer purpose.
Compare users average to the Critics.
If the game is good they will be close. If it's bad they won't be close at all.

Metacritic Scores:
Batman: Arkham Knight
Critics: PC=62; PS4=89; XB1=85
Users: PC= 1.5; PS4=7.0 XB1=5.4
Difference: PC=47%; PS4=19%; XB1=31%

Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
Critics: PC=94; PS4=92; XB1=91
Users: PC=; 9.2; PS4=9.0; XB1=8.8
Difference: PC=2%; PS4=2%; XB1=3%

Even on consoles Batman has issues and the consensus puts that on the Batmobile.

Witcher 3 being a great game is clear and the best AAA release and post release support is unmatched.

In general even the good critics have high end PC's that can power over issues that can cripple lesser rigs.
The best critics take account of that fact and don't score by numbers.
Total Biscuit's Port Reports for example.

The difference is telling us more than the totals ever will.