Fallout 4 Teaser Site Is A Hoax

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 4 Teaser Site Is A Hoax

The Fallout 4 teaser site at thesurvivor2299.com has been revealed as a hoax.

It was the outcome nobody wanted, which is probably why it was the one we were bound to get: The teaser site at thesurvivor2299.com, with its exciting story of what appeared to be an attack on a Vault by the mysterious forces of the Black Row, has turned out to be a fake. Yesterday evening, the site dropped it's encoded messages in favor of a link to the 2009 YouTube video "Tunnel Snakes Rule [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ximxe4XtU]," and today it's a sad violin, accompanied by a tip-of-the-hat message to the /r/Fallout community on Reddit.

It's a disappointing end to a promising tale, not because it means that a Fallout 4 announcement isn't imminent (although that's unfortunate too) but because it's such a weak ending to a remarkably strong setup. To put so much effort into crafting such an elaborate scheme and then end it like this seems a real waste.

Then again, it's not my hoax to judge, and it was a lot of fun while it lasted. And so I say thank you, whoever you are, for the good times. It wasn't the destination we'd hoped for, but it sure was an entertaining ride.

Source: thesurvivor2299.com [http://thesurvivor2299.com/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I didn't give a crap about that site. I don't care about teasers. Either announce the game or fuck off. Announcing the announcement is just ridiculous.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
I'm a bit bothered by Bethesda here, more than I am at the guy who made the website. We've been at it for a month, just look at these stats that show how popular the damn thing was http://i.imgur.com/pzY99i8.jpg yet they didn't even tweet a simple "thesurvivor2299.com is not us".

It was a fun quite fun though, and it made me play Fallout once again.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
Well, I suppose that was inevitable. It was fun while it lasted, but 'everything good must have an end', I believe is the saying.
Good job to whoever set this all up, though. It was pretty interesting while it lasted. Shame it had to end that way, as you said.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's kind of strange that Bethesda didn't come out to say something about it sooner, and the revelation that it's fake came out just before VGX awards. I'm hyping you my fellow Escapists. Fallout 4 will be announced at VGX.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Bethesda didn't say anything because they got a heck of a lot of publicity. This hoax helped them out, I guess.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Who knows, maybe Bethesda is in the planning stages for Fallout 4 and just aren't ready to announce it yet. The situation reminds me of one of the downsides to Kickstarter projects: We basically see a project when it is still a concept with samples, so a release is usually years off compared to the publisher model that only advertises when the game gets past a certain point. Star Citizen is a pretty good example of this: Star Citizen has been a known project for a while, but it probably isn't releasing until 2015.

At least the hoax confirms everyone is interested in a new Fallout. Wonder if this means New Vegas is going to be getting some more playthroughs this Christmas season.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
ninjaRiv said:
Bethesda didn't say anything because they got a heck of a lot of publicity. This hoax helped them out, I guess.
Agreed. Whoever did this gave Bethesdas Marketing Team a week off, that's for sure.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I tried to not get hyped... I failed.

Oh well, kinda makes you wonder why real marketing people don't do something like this.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Well that was fun while it lasted. Wish it was true, made me play the horribly buggy mess that is New Vegas.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm fairly pleased that this was the first article about the site I actually clicked on.

Although seriously, what's interesting about a teaser? You don't get the game or even any decent details about the game. Fallout 4 is going to happen, I have no idea why people would doubt that so a teaser is just confirming exactly what you already know.

Also we complain about companies not making new IPs, but then obsess and worry over the idea that they might be making a new IP instead of our old IP

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
momijirabbit said:
Well that was fun while it lasted. Wish it was true, made me play the horribly buggy mess that is New Vegas.
Never had a single bug issue in new vegas XD

GameChanger

Sep 5, 2011
Aerosteam said:

Oh well, kinda makes you wonder why real marketing people don't do something like this.
Err... They do. Constantly...

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Sad, but it's kind of nice to see a group besides Half-Life 3 fans fall for hoaxes. :p

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
GameChanger said:
Aerosteam said:

Really? Can you name a few? The only times I hear new games getting announced are from trailers, expos/conventions or Kickstarter.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
Aerosteam said:
GameChanger said:
Aerosteam said:

Really? Can you name a few? The only times I hear new games getting announced are from trailers, expos/conventions or Kickstarter.
Portal 2 and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs were both announced via ARGs similar to this one.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
That sad violin sounds like something out of New Vegas.

HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.
THERE IS A SIX POINTED STAR AND A MOON WITH TWO POINTS IN YOUR AVATAR! 6/2=9! SQUARE ROOT OF 9 IS THREE!
HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's kind of strange that Bethesda didn't come out to say something about it sooner
Not really, its basic PR 101.

Not saying anything about the site being fake or not
A. Gives reasonable credence to the theory that it might be valid building up hype for a non existent game, and for Bethesda products in general
B. Allows Bethesda to go "yeah, shit was fake the whole time" if at any point the site does something they don't like/approve of.

Saying it is fake from the beginning ruins an sort of exploitable hype potential, while confirming its validity from the beginning ruins the whole point of the ARG.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Insane Guy of DOOM said:
Aerosteam said:
GameChanger said:
Aerosteam said:

Portal 2 and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs were both announced via ARGs similar to this one.
Huh, never knew that. How I found out about those are just from word of mouth on the Internet.

Still though, I think "constantly" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Wookie 1

Apr 3, 2010
Oh dear, I know a slightly unstable person who was getting super hyped about this.