Fallout 4 Teaser Site Returns

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Fallout 4 Teaser Site Returns

Fallout 4's phony teaser site TheSurvivor2299 is back, but don't freak out - it's still the same guy.

There was quite a stir when Fallout fans discovered has since been revealed as a hoax [http://thesurvivor2299.com/], and shortly afterwards the site went quiet. Until today, that is. TheSurvivor2299.com is back online with a new set of cryptic messages and a promise that something will be happening this spring. Put away your tin foil hats, though: it isn't Fallout 4, just a continuation of the viral ARG.

Bethesda's Pete Hines was quick to shoot down any speculation [https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/443818055928676352] that this was an official move by Bethesda. The site creator is being equally honest about it, commenting on Reddit that the site is promoting an upcoming mod. "Don't worry it's nothing related to Fallout 4," they posted under their old account name DCHoaxer. "We're using it for the mod. Don't get fooled twice."

Authentic or not, the Fallout community had a lot of fun following the original site and decoding its mysterious messages. DCHoaxer chose not release the rest of the Survivor2299 fiction, and instead seems to have been working on a Fallout: New Vegas mod that continues the story. There's no way that the mod project will live up to the Fallout 4 hype that the original hoax generated, but in spring we'll see if this mod was worth the heartbreak.

Source: Reddit [http://thesurvivor2299.com/]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I'm still wearing my tinfoil hat here to an extent, because I still suspect there is some link between this guy and Bethesda given the way Bethesda remained silent during the original hoax. I suspect the whole "insane fan" schtick might be a new form of viral marketing being tested, including whether he'll still get attention if Bethesda admits it's not an official announcement after the fact.

I also wouldn't be terribly surprised if the phrank here is that maybe this time it will be something of relevance. I'm not counting on it though, since I'm pretty sure most of Bethesda's resources are accounted for. They are apparently involved in at least publishing "The Evil Within" (which looks decent for what it is, but is probably a risky project) as well as gambling heavily on "Elder Scrolls Online" which doesn't seem to have been getting the most positive hype in the world. I can't see them dedicating yet more financial resources to a third ongoing development project at this time. If there is a "Fallout 4" being worked on, I'd immediately guess that it's simply in the early planning/concept stages with little or no actual game having been produced.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Well the hoaxer himself,admitted on the Fallout subreddit,that he was using the site to promote a mod he was working on.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/208c6r/the_survivor_2299_is_back/cg0xnwa
To be fair if he was trying to mislead everyone again, surely he would have used a different site.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Now all im curious about is why he is using the emblem of a certain MMO gaming community.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
fool me once...

im still pissed about the hoax, a nuclear winter fallout game wouldve been glorious, i mean just think about the survival element!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Nope I won't get sucked in again... I refuse...

Cognimancer said:
and instead seems to have been working on a Fallout: New Vegas mod that continues the story.
New Vegas mod!?! Oh cruel post-apocalyptic world I'm back!

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
My only problem is it's a new vegas mod, and while I hope it's good because this fucker has clearly put some time an effort into this I never got new vegas and I kind of think it's a little late to bother buying it and all the expansions. But maybe not who knows.

Maybe I'll buy it download the mod and have my heart broken all over again you sick bastard!

I'm still just a little sad about the whole thing.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, let's see how that turns out in the end. Might download it once it's done as, ironically, I recently started another run in New Vegas.

Hawk eye1466 said:
My only problem is it's a new vegas mod, and while I hope it's good because this fucker has clearly put some time an effort into this I never got new vegas and I kind of think it's a little late to bother buying it and all the expansions. But maybe not who knows.
20 bucks on Steam for the Ultimate Edition (includes all four story DLCs, GRA pack and Courier's Stache). And there is never a "too late" to buy a game.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Hawk eye1466 said:

Maybe I'll buy it download the mod and have my heart broken all over again you sick bastard!

I'm still just a little sad about the whole thing.
Trust me. If you enjoyed the setting and side quests of Fallout 3 but thought the main plot was pants on head retarded and that Borken Steel made it even worse, you will love New Vegas. The main plot actually makes sense, and is competently written, even if all the choices are bad. And the DLC is mostly pretty good and some of it is excellent.

You will just want to run one of the unofficial bugfix mods, as being developed by Obsidian on an engine from Bethesda it's like the bug singularity.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Hawk eye1466 said:
Just checked for you $10 on Amazon USA (Yeph I even checked your country for you)
Play it, 100's of hours of fun to be had and there's some great mods out there!

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Bindal said:
Well, let's see how that turns out in the end. Might download it once it's done as, ironically, I recently started another run in New Vegas.

Hawk eye1466 said:
20 bucks on Steam for the Ultimate Edition (includes all four story DLCs, GRA pack and Courier's Stache). And there is never a "too late" to buy a game.[/quote
Bindal said:

Hawk eye1466 said:
20 bucks on Steam for the Ultimate Edition (includes all four story DLCs, GRA pack and Courier's Stache). And there is never a "too late" to buy a game.
putowtin said:
Hawk eye1466 said:
Just checked for you $10 on Amazon USA (Yeph I even checked your country for you)
Play it, 100's of hours of fun to be had and there's some great mods out there!
Your both very helpful and cruel at the same time, why are you dooming me to hundreds of more hours in fallout's universe?!

Yeah now I have to get it, I got 3 with all the dlc when it was this cheap I don't think I have a choice. No I don't in fact my mouse is already clicking. And there I go.

If anyone needs me I'll be in vegas