Fallout 4 theories

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
So what with the recent rumour about fallout 4 being set in boston, and its most likely the truth seeing as boston/the commonwelth was really hinted at in fallout 3. As for a story, this leads me to believe that you will play as an android. Leveling up would probably work kind of like deus ex in the fact that youre "upgrading yourself" itd still be the same as 3 and new vegas but now there would be a story reason as to why youre getting better. Anyway the story would be about you escaping the commonwealth and beaing hunted down. What are all of your ideas for the future of the series?

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
The whole android thing in the Commonwealth never really made sense to me. They're in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and somehow they're able to make androids that are indistinguishable from humans?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
My theory is... It will have a bunch of tedious quests, one maybe two above average quest line, An abundance of reused textures and assets,Though reusing assets still somehow ends with a buggy product. Narrative driven but very bland and uninteresting plot with many of the major tropes being reused with names/locations crossed out and replaced relevant to the new setting. Then after its release we get hit with a series of short choppy DLCs that are also narrative driven but clock in at about 10$ per content hour.

Just my best educated guess.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
The whole android thing in the Commonwealth never really made sense to me. They're in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and somehow they're able to make androids that are indistinguishable from humans?
Replicators were very common in Fallout. You could make ANYTHING you could ever want from food, to weapons, to construction materials, to replacement parts. Each GECK has one. Wouldn't be that far fetched to have MIT have one.

Funny, the answer to all of humanity's problems were delegated to being vending machines.
I thought replicators were only used in the Sierra Madre Vending Machines, which were unique to the Sierra Madre.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Replicators were very common in Fallout. You could make ANYTHING you could ever want from food, to weapons, to construction materials, to replacement parts. Each GECK has one. Wouldn't be that far fetched to have MIT have one.

Funny, the answer to all of humanity's problems were delegated to being vending machines.
I thought replicators were only used in the Sierra Madre Vending Machines, which were unique to the Sierra Madre.
Yeah thats correct, if I remember correctly the Commonwealth was run from a "institute" possibly it was some kind of research faclity like big mountain, given what they got up to its possible the institute worked on humanoid robots instead.

TheOneBearded

Oct 31, 2011
viranimus said:
My theory is... It will have a bunch of tedious quests, one maybe two above average quest line, An abundance of reused textures and assets,Though reusing assets still somehow ends with a buggy product. Narrative driven but very bland and uninteresting plot with many of the major tropes being reused with names/locations crossed out and replaced relevant to the new setting. Then after its release we get hit with a series of short choppy DLCs that are also narrative driven but clock in at about 10$ per content hour.

Just my best educated guess.
And we will happily buy it and enjoy the hell out of it.

OT: I really hope that Obsidian has some say so on this project. A Bethesda-only Fallout like Fallout 3 wouldn't be as good as one made by Obsidian. They offer better content and narrative. Just look at the main story and the amazing dlc and compare them to what F3 offered. Talk about getting blown out of the water.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I want the Enclave or an equivalent back. It isn't right, scouring the world, obtaining Power Armor and top of the line energy weapons and at the end, all I got to shoot is a bunch of skirt wearing dopes. With exploding fists. Hmm, something isn't quite right....

I definitely would like to see a canonical Midwest. Though hmm, if the Midwest BoS are as they are, they would probably get along with Lyons.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
TizzytheTormentor said:
Boston is all well and good but I was hoping for Chicago (although I think that is Obsidians turf)

Also, I would love a Fallout game set in London, fuck the purists, post-apocalyptic London sounds sweet.
Yeah! I'll never buy another Fallout game until they make one set in London! (I actually made that decision some time ago, when the suggestion came up in a previous "Next Fallout" - guessing thread.)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd like to see the Rockies. We've done the desert, we've done the wreckage of the East Coast. What about the mountains?

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Akalabeth said:
Hmmmn, doesn't make a whole lot of sene. The main story is just getting away? There needs to be more to it than that, especially since a story like that doesn't lend itself well to the open world style of gameplay.

I can see maybe starting with amnesia, and over the course of the game discovering you're an android as you work towards some objective. Maybe you even die and get your program transferred into a new body at one point.
I dont mean the whole storys about you getting away i mean that thats what they start of it would be, like how in fallout 3 you have to escape the vault, except this time youre escaping the commonwealth, as for the story aside from avoiding the commonwealth and them chasing you i say itll be something about you trying to stop them from making anymore androids or something along those lines.

Havtorn

Aug 27, 2012
I'm kinda hoping they're setting it in California again. I want to see how NCR is doing on their own turf. Or maybe somewhere foreign, just to spice it up or a bit. Oh, oh, and I want to be a tribal again!

I do hope we've seen the last of the Enclave though. Or at least that they bother to make a new story for them rather than just blatantly copy-pasting the one from Fallout 2 again...

Whiskey 041 said:
Dude, Fallout 3 was way better than New Vegas. NV was so bland and boring where as F3 had tons of interesting characters and quests.
As a general rule I find that the "Fallout 3 vs Fallout NV" argument can be split into two groups:
1. People who like the novelty and exploration of Fallout 3 a whole bunch.
and
2. People who like the coherent world and writing in Fallout New Vegas a whole bunch.

The point being that they scratch different itches.

themind

Jan 22, 2012
I think FO3 and FO:NV are both quality games. It's not entirely fair to say one in better than the other because each offers something the other doesn't have. FO3 feels more like a FO game, to me. The abudance of super mutants, the wrecked and destroyed infrastructure, the feeling of living on the cusp of survival. FO:NV is brighter, the atomic bombs haven't levelled everything, there is more stuff (outfits, guns, ammo types, gun mods, enemies), and it really comes down to how you enjoy the FO experience.

As for FO4, it seems too early to speculate too much. I hope to see a remnant Enclave army, preferrably an Enclave faction you can join, as the evil factions are decidedly lacking in the FO series. There could be an NCR West vs Brotherhood East showdown, but I see that as the setting for FO5, there is still a ton of story that they can lay down before a confrontation between the two super groups.

Also, because Bethesda love to rehash old ideas, I would not be surprised if in FO4 you start the game in some sort of penal colony or in a retro-future jail. This would be a throw back to Interplay's FO3 idea, and also to Morrowind-Oblivion-Skyrim, and if there is one thing Bethesda can nail, it is starting out the game as a prisoner/outcast.