Fallout 4 Xbox One Mods Capped at 2GB, Other Limitations Detailed

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Riddle78 said:
How pathetically exclusionist of you. I might be a PC gamer,but I see this as the beginnings of a wonderful revolution in console game design. Modding has ALWAYS been among the top reasons why people prefer the PC over consoles. Modding is fun. Modding can objectively improve a game. But not everybody has the time,patience,and/or resources to build a computer beastly enough to handle a modded game. I can imagine the console scene being very vibrant in the future,primarily because people will want to push the system. Two gigs is a whole mess of wiggle room for mod development. Will there be a selection process for Bethesda Net? More than likely. I doubt it'll be much more restrictive than the Nexus.
LOL what?!?!? Push the system? The system is pushed on both to the breaking point, Far Harbor is unplayable on PS4 (2.66 GBs, by the way, and the next anticipated mod is bigger than Far Harbor). The systems are pushed so far they need new consoles 3 years in just to catch up to 1080p 60 FPS, yeah they messed up, buy a new console for 1080p and 60 FPS, its the ultimate DLC scam, by who else but the big console manufacturers. Consoles need to die, the direction they are going anyway. With XBox live going to Windows 10, and software only. Sony saying PS5... err maybe... Finally they are coming to an end, and gaming can expand beyond restrictive hardware. Consoles and vibrant future... LOL Consoles and a long awaited funeral is more like it.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Parasondox said:
Correctly me severely if I am wrong, but isn't one of the cons about mods is that if you add too many, they will clash and corrupt the game?

I am talking in terms of PC, I dont know who consoles will handle that with a data limit.
Perhaps you're confusing it with the save bloat? The worst (i heard) it can happen is incompatibility between mods causing the game to crash but you just need to disable the culprits to continue playing.
About the 2gb limit it will mostly be texture mods that are going to be affected and i doubt consoles would be able to run these anyway.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
MHR said:
In trying to import everything from a PC to a console, you're making the process more complicated, at least on the back-end. Just how many people do you think would be willing to make a mod for PC and then jump through the extra hoops needed for it to work on console toasters with a smaller install base? And not even get paid? Or is the closed and controlled nature of the console system just ripe for exploiting in another way by making people pay for mods in an environment where the users are used to getting fucked over anyway?

Console mods are going to be a joke in one way or another.

And "wonderous revolution" and "console" being in the same sentence is making me chuckle all over. Remember when X-bone was trying to "revolutionize" the way we see T.V.? BWAHA!

If you already have the PC version, why would you play the One version of FO4? This is for console players who can't play the PC version of FO4 for whatever reason. And in that case, I'm pretty certain some mods are better than none.

Apr 5, 2008
They're capped to 2GB? It's fairly safe to say there's no conceivable mod they can't run o.o The biggest mod I ever downloaded for Skyrim was 1.9GB to get more/more immersive NPCs. Any mods that size will likely be texture replacers, audio replacers or gigantic compilations of items (made up of meshes, textures and occasionally random bits like sound FX). Any mod along those lines can easily be split into smaller chunks. Saying that, the hi res texture packs are specifically for PC because we get shafted by lazy devs who CBA to give us better textures than they gave console peasants (not talking specifically Bethesda here, who absolutely gave us free hi res textures for Skyrim). Having hi res textures on console would be weird...they exist because PCs can handle them and consoles can't.

I noted the new login bits in-game. It's an interesting way of doing it. Obviously steam workshop wouldn't work and there's no other way on consoles to do it, so it's pretty sensible. Part of me feels a little uneasy at Bethesda getting so involved in the modding side of their game, after giving us the toolset that is. By its nature, modding is community run so having the devs get involved seems off somehow.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
I wonder if authors could divide their larger mods into 2GB segments to get around the restriction. It isn't unheard of to see a mod on Steam Workshop partitioned into Part 1, Part 2, etc.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
KingsGambit said:
They're capped to 2GB? It's fairly safe to say there's no conceivable mod they can't run o.o
Mods that require the script extender can't be run on consoles. Mods that increase fidelity in ways other than adding textures are going to crash the consoles. Mods that falls outside of the delicate sensibilities of the people who moderate the mods won't be allowed. There's no way of solving mod conflicts other than disabling one mod or the other, and actually pinpointing the conflicts is made a lot harder when you can't use f04edit. There's a lot of limiting factors other than just the size.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
from personal experience check the comments for each mod, especially for ones that alter sanctuary in any way. those have a habit of having weird side effects like making all your power armour stored in sanctuary suddenly turn into t45 suits

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Wait... what? No achievements with mods enabled? I suppose that makes some kind of sense for balancing issues, but also: fuck that...
This has been standard practice for years in games using steam workshop. Also bethesda disabled achievements the moment you entered a console command in thier games since fallout: NV. Theres just going to be a mod that re-enables them.

Saelune said:
Yet to have any issue earning any achievement in any Bethesda game for any glitch or bug reason.
I had to manually force the leveling achievements (you know, reach level X stuff) because for some reason they did not register at all. SAM helped with that though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Strazdas said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Wait... what? No achievements with mods enabled? I suppose that makes some kind of sense for balancing issues, but also: fuck that...
This has been standard practice for years in games using steam workshop. Also bethesda disabled achievements the moment you entered a console command in thier games since fallout: NV. Theres just going to be a mod that re-enables them.

Saelune said:
Yet to have any issue earning any achievement in any Bethesda game for any glitch or bug reason.
I had to manually force the leveling achievements (you know, reach level X stuff) because for some reason they did not register at all. SAM helped with that though.
Did you use console commands? Those disable achievements until you quit out and load back in.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Saelune said:
Did you use console commands? Those disable achievements until you quit out and load back in.
No, i specifically avoided console commands for this reason. Also i do know they were not used because other achievements worked fine.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Strazdas said:
Ah, never used Steam so I didn't know that. It just feels odd/wrong to disable achievements on the platform that defined the whole idea.

Still, I'd take a Bethesda game which has been fixed/improved by the community over GS any day.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Installing the mods themselves is fairly simple
No. Anyone who's ever fiddled with mods know that it is not "fairly-one-click-away-simple". Compatibility issues exist among mods, and porting a mod to Xbox/PS4 isn't simple work.

Say goodbye to most (if not all) of the big mods when the script extender starts being a requirement, and let's not forget the mods that uses third-party IPs.

Is anyone gonna write about the budding "modders being harassed by console peasants" issue or are you guys gonna wait for it to get bigger?