Fallout 4's Fast Travel Is Survival Mode

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Do I play a different version of Fallout games? Because I can safely fast travel where ever I want. Which is basically just every form of settlement: New Vegas, the Citadel, Camp McCarren, Rivet City,... you get the idea.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...that response from the Deathclaw leads me to believe he is missing a top hat and monocle...

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I swear, the Super Mutants are either psychic or they bribed Bethesda to tip them off as to your fast travel spawn points.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Bindal said:
Do I play a different version of Fallout games? Because I can safely fast travel where ever I want. Which is basically just every form of settlement: New Vegas, the Citadel, Camp McCarren, Rivet City,... you get the idea.
I've only really had it happen in Fallout 4 to be honest. It seems like certain locations can get repopulated by enemies or something, it's a little odd.

Regardless, often when I fast travel somewhere in an inner-city location I get dumped right into a battle with Super Mutants or even caught into the crossfire between Children of Atom and Gunners or something.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fallout 4's locations seem to repopulate unusually quickly, causing places like Medford to become particularly interesting. Thank you, cavalier synths and super mutant suiciders.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Bindal said:
Well obviously, if you only fast travel to the 'safe' locations, it's going to be safe to do so.

However, how a lot of people (possibly a majority) play the game is they fast travel to the nearest unlocked map marker to where they need to be (for a quest), and then travel the rest of the way on foot. And typically, these 'nearest' map markers are not generally safe to fast-travel to.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Bindal said:
Yeah, but fast-traveling to a landmark in the middle of the wasteland (or outside a settlement) usually ends up with an instantaneous welcome ambush (it happened to me a lot in Fallout 3).

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Barbas said:
Fallout 4's locations seem to repopulate unusually quickly, causing places like Medford to become particularly interesting. Thank you, cavalier synths and super mutant suiciders.
Don't get me started on Medford! Every single radiant quest wants me to go there. How many times must I clear that place out?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sounds like an argument against fast-travelling. There could be a lot of loot between you and where you want to go.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Barbas said:
I use to set mines down in their areas to help deal with them, but then I found out when an area repops, it despawns your mines.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Is there a "Kick your dog out of the @#%@ing way" mod yet? Because that stupid dog likes to get in my way. Or did I miss some kind of 'feed it' mechanic? Same with a lot of companions but it was never really a problem with me in previous games. I can't believe how often I shoot my allies in the back of their head because they stand in front of my scope.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Odbarc said:
Is there a "Kick your dog out of the @#%@ing way" mod yet?
Nearest thing is probably Dead Body Collision.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2570/?

The optional file on that mod will allow you to simply walk through all NPCs and creatures/animals (and allow NPCs to walk through each other too). It's not pretty, but it will get the job done.
You'll never be trapped in a narrow doorway or corridor ever again.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
Bindal said:
I've only really had it happen in Fallout 4 to be honest. It seems like certain locations can get repopulated by enemies or something, it's a little odd.

Regardless, often when I fast travel somewhere in an inner-city location I get dumped right into a battle with Super Mutants or even caught into the crossfire between Children of Atom and Gunners or something.
New Vegas was insanely ridiculous for the Legion ambushing you immediately after fast travelling (unless you joined them, of course).
Fallout 3's Karma Police ambush dudes also tended to show up when you fast traveled.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Im going to enjoy survival mode thoroughly. After New Vegas's lame survival mode that didn't mean much, survival mode in Fallout 4 is going to be more than I had ever hoped for. I never thought another modern game was going to do such non-casual things like disable fast travel or make your character have to eat/drink/sleep or else suffer severe penalties, or even damage you for being over-encumbered from too much ammo and healing items! I'm so delighted it's hard to describe.

Though I seriously don't know whether to continue my current playthrough or start another from scratch just to say I did the whole thing in survival mode.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
IceForce said:
Odbarc said:
Is there a "Kick your dog out of the @#%@ing way" mod yet?
Nearest thing is probably Dead Body Collision.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2570/?

The optional file on that mod will allow you to simply walk through all NPCs and creatures/animals (and allow NPCs to walk through each other too). It's not pretty, but it will get the job done.
You'll never be trapped in a narrow doorway or corridor ever again.
I saw this mod before and thought it was only to walk over dead bodies and felt unnecessary. I think I must get this. Codsworth and Dogmeat are probably the worst offenders of doorway blocking.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
I still remember when i landed right in the middle of a fight between super mutants, raiders and the Brotherhood but the game tought this wasn't enough because i appeared near a super mutant suicider.

GhostFox

Oct 29, 2014
In FO3 and FONV, I tended to use fast travel sparingly, and (mostly) only when I had already cleared the supposed route between where I was and where I wanted to go. Otherwise, it felt a bit like cheating.

Skyrim taught me not to use fast travel, since besides missing out on a lot of loot from random encounters, it seemed like the surest way to bring a vampire attack down on a city was to fast travel there. Whiterun, especially, seemed to be afflicted by this -- it only happened maybe half the time in other cities, but before I stopped using it, fast traveling to that place had what felt like nearly a 100% chance of vampires. (I did still use the horse-drawn coaches for travel between cities, but that's not the same thing.)

Now, as a result, I don't fast travel in Fallout 4 at all. Especially since now, every bit of junk I carry home is potentially useful for something more than selling to a merchant for chump change.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Gatlank said:
I still remember when i landed right in the middle of a fight between super mutants, raiders and the Brotherhood but the game tought this wasn't enough because i appeared near a super mutant suicider.
Those are my favourite random ambushes. You load in, and are just finding your bearings when you hear "beep Beep BEEP BEEP! BEEEEP!!"
And then you reload the save point.