Fallout Mod Features Devastated Japanese Power Plant

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
In regards to 'too soon' I would say it is fine. As much as the plant there is going to take a bit of time to work out, the real disaster of Japan was not the nuclear plant. If it was like, a Tsunami mod, or something, I'd be a lot more inclined to say it was a bit too strong of a reminder of bad things.
I'd agree with that.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Hm. I can't really say I have a problem with it. I think of it this way: Assuming he's made an accurate recreation of the area, the mod could actually give gamers a bit of perspective on the scale of the issues that had (& has) the world on edge for so long. Hell, it's not even an area you can play on, so I really don't see it as any different than making a painting of it, except this you can walk around in. Is it the interactivity that's the problem?

I wouldn't call it a "good" idea, what with the timing, but it's without a doubt an interesting one.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Why is it "too soon"
What the hell would it change if this was made 2 years from now? the dead people are still going to be dead from it.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
That hypocrisy...how would you feel if there was a Twin Towers Mod? Also not too soon?

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Piflik said:
That hypocrisy...how would you feel if there was a Twin Towers Mod? Also not too soon?
Depends. We talkin' current day ground zero? Inside one of the still standing twin towers? How would the representation of the Twin Towers be offensive in any way? What purpose would creating the mod serve?

Help me out here....

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
BX3 said:
Piflik said:
Depends. We talkin' current day ground zero? Inside one of the still standing twin towers? How would the representation of the Twin Towers be offensive in any way? What purpose would creating the mod serve?

Help me out here....
How about one of them collapsed, the other still standing, but smoking...

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Piflik said:
BX3 said:
Piflik said:

Help me out here....
How about one of them collapsed, the other still standing, but smoking...
Y'know, after getting some rest from a long night of irritable sleeplessness, it's occurred to me that this debate isn't worth the time.

I'm not being a smug bastard or anything - I still don't agree with the point you're trying to make at all - but your sentiment is well meaning and I'm no longer irritated enough to argue with that. Just refer to my earlier post (#23). That's my stance on this subject. Take this post as an apology if you will.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
HankMan said:
If you're just exploring, I see no harm.
KOBJ needs to learn to write.
From the sound of it, he might be Japanese and either used an automatic translation engine or translated to English word by word.
I'm not certain though. I don't actually know Japanese, but I have seen some translations from Japanese to other languages (in Electronics manuals mainly) that matched this style.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I tend to agree that this is in bad taste right now. Very similar to how I feel about the whole "opposing force" thing with Playable Taliban, or wanting to make a game about drug cartel wars in Juarez.

In some cases I think the subject is old enough and people are being too touchy. I for example see no real problem with using concentration camps or gulags as areas for hauntings and such in horror games or what not. Mass murder and genocide are a big deal, but it's been over with for decades. This kind of stuff is far more recent, though due to it being on a smaller scale I think it will become "open" quicker once the situations are resolved. For example I'd give it 10-20 years after "The War On Terror" ends before having playable
Taliban would seem appropriate, compared to the 50+ years since The Holocaust. A gut feeling of course, and a lot of it depends on the way it's presented. Nothing is going to justify something like a "Sim concentration camp" Jew-murdering simulator, or Taliban fighters just flat out killing American troops and committing acts of terrorism... however something like say "Dino D-Day" using the Taliban might be absurd enough to be viable given enough years going by.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
@Fasckira
Sorry dude, did you bother to read my previous post? If you did, you'd know I am fluent in Japanese and live in Tokyo and am saying the guy's reasoning is flawed. I actually went and read the Japanese in the links the guy provided. How's that for reading beyond the title?

And, people in the 12 mile evacuation zone around the nuclear reactors were displaced and lost their livelihoods just like those who live in the tsunami-stricken areas. That isn't even mentioning the farmers outside of the evacuation zone who have lost months of work and pay because their crops are now contaminated, or the businesses that are currently or soon will go under, including the company that I work for, because no one wants Japanese food exports anymore. What do you say to them?

For the victims of this disaster, the nuclear reactors represent their hardship.

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I can hear Fox news already... yeesh.
I'm not sure what to think about this because I haven't got a clue what he's talking about. is he making a statement on the rate of pay for workers going into the radiation? I dont get his english.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
SemiHumanTarget said:
@Fasckira
Sorry dude, did you bother to read my previous post? If you did, you'd know I am fluent in Japanese and live in Tokyo and am saying the guy's reasoning is flawed. I actually went and read the Japanese in the links the guy provided. How's that for reading beyond the title?

And, people in the 12 mile evacuation zone around the nuclear reactors were displaced and lost their livelihoods just like those who live in the tsunami-stricken areas. That isn't even mentioning the farmers outside of the evacuation zone who have lost months of work and pay because their crops are now contaminated, or the businesses that are currently or soon will go under, including the company that I work for, because no one wants Japanese food exports anymore. What do you say to them?

For the victims of this disaster, the nuclear reactors represent their hardship.
And that is understandable, but what is it that we are elcting to criticize, then? The simple fact that he made the mod, the reasoning, or the intention?

To me this amounts to a well intentioned Faux Pas...and also an odd bit of strange journalism. This has got to be the first time that I know of when someone has made the attempt to recreate a disaster site so that people can experience (sort of) the situation of the afflicted...as flawed as it might have been, I'd have to applaud the guy for trying to approach the situation from a different angle than most.

And, do we know whether he's Japanese or not? I'm asking, not making a rethorical question. Dude seems to have a bit of a case of broken English and he did cite a source in Japanese.

Also, I'd say that it could've been worse, and let's keep in mind he isn't making a dime out of this so I wouldn't say he's trying to be exploitative.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Not that it really matters, but yeah, I think he's Japanese. His English patterns are, based on my experience, pretty typical of a Japanese person with a limited grasp on English. Before you jump on me about that, know that Japanese grammar is vastly different from grammar structures for English and other romance languages, so when someone goes from Japanese to English with a limited understanding, it's pretty distinct.

That aside, I think his nationality and, honestly, his intentions, are beside the point. The point is, it is way too soon to do something like this. Not just because there are people still suffering from this tragedy, but because - and this is perhaps most important - this tragedy is still in danger of becoming much, much, much worse. Earthquakes continue, literally, daily here in Japan. There are several a day, as the tectonic plates slowly try to return to their normal state, and one of these days soon one of those earthquakes might, just might, cause a tsunami that wipes out the workers trying to fix this reactor problem... and without those workers on site, all of those reactors will explode and cause both local and global effects that history has heretofore never seen.

That is why, regardless of intentions, nationality, and logic, this is way way way way way too soon.

FirmartheTrilby

Sep 13, 2010
Hahaha I was wondering when we gonna get something like this related to Fukushima. I think it's actually good idea, why not? We got games and books about Chernobyl so why not this?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Seems harmless enough. It might even be beneficial, if he can make the state of the plant haunting enough.

So long as he's not just doing it to troll, offend people, or for shits and gigs, then I'm fine with it.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
It sounds like its for exploration purposes, but I wouldnt put it in as I am not always bothered with Fallout 3 mods, nor have fallout 3 installed. New Vegas For the win!