Sep 6, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Kalezian said:
Flamezdudes said:
Kalezian said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Korten12 said:
-Samurai- said:
Umm...why did the player have a pipboy? Was the character a vault dweller(I dont believe so)? If not, that seems kinda lazy not to invent a new inventory/map/status screen. Little things like that break games for me.

Hopefully the story explains it.
I believe your character is from a vault, some screenshots showed him wearing a vault outfit.
Nope, he is not. You can find the suit however.

somewhere I read that he/she is from a vault, but you have been outside for a long time before the game starts. could be wrong, but I think I read that on some post.
No, you're all wrong. Your character is a courier who was shot in the head and left to die. A friendly robot finds you and takes you back to a Doctor who fixes you up. This is where you choose your looks and skills. He gives you a pipboy and an old vault suit since the doctor used to be a vault dweller. This is all been CONFIRMED.

see: http://www.gametrailers.com/news/fallout-new-vegas-details/1712

so now we have a link the supports Nev Vegas possibly having multiple beginnings AND keeping the basic storyline the same for every charater.

critical thinking should be used before you attempt to claim that everyone is wrong, since right now I am laughing that since you think that main story = only one character back-story.

[small] link provided by @Therumancer [/small]
That's probably just mere speculation because in magazines that have come out recently and information given out by Obsidian, you ARE a courier and everything i've just said has been confirmed.
Flamezdude is right, everyone else is wrong.
The multiple background thing has been confirmed as wrong.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
Aiming down the sights? That will make no-HUD runs barely a challenge. Awww... Hopefully Hardcore mode makes up for that.
You do know iron sights exist in real life..right?
In my experience with iron sights, you need to learn to adjust your aim or the sights to shoot straight. In video games, iron sights are automatically adjusted properly. In a Fallout 3 No-HUD run, you have to learn to adjust for the sights on the gun, which is more similar to how an untrained person learns to use a gun.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Chamale said:
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
Aiming down the sights? That will make no-HUD runs barely a challenge. Awww... Hopefully Hardcore mode makes up for that.
In my experience with iron sights, you need to learn to adjust your aim or the sights to shoot straight. In video games, iron sights are automatically adjusted properly. In a Fallout 3 No-HUD run, you have to learn to adjust for the sights on the gun, which is more similar to how an untrained person learns to use a gun.
That works well in theory, with short ranged CQB weapons. But if there is a huge target 200m away from me, and i can just see him, im going to aim my weapon and look down the sight, im not going to try to walk my fire towards him at the range. (also, games have tracer rounds, most real rifles dont use tracers, making it pretty much impossible to hit a distant target not aiming) there were a few Fallout No Hud games where my target was shooting me medium range, and i was always thinking "oh come on, all i want to do is look through the sight that i can see at the end of the barrel!"

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
That works well in theory, with short ranged CQB weapons. But if there is a huge target 200m away from me, and i can just see him, im going to aim my weapon and look down the sight, im not going to try to walk my fire towards him at the range. (also, games have tracer rounds, most real rifles dont use tracers, making it pretty much impossible to hit a distant target not aiming) there were a few Fallout No Hud games where my target was shooting me medium range, and i was always thinking "oh come on, all i want to do is look through the sight that i can see at the end of the barrel!"
You sound like a guy with real firearms experience, and you might have been in the army. Keep in mind that Fallout 3's protagonist was raised in a hole and never used anything but a BB gun. When your Small Guns rating is 20, looking down the sights makes no sense.

Come to think of it, Fallout: New Vegas' protagonist grew up in the Wasteland, so it makes sense for him to have firearms experience. The gameplay will definitely be changed as a result of having a protagonist from a different background.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
looks like fallout 3, but I can tell they added some pretty cool things to it. Hmm I might just get it. I have a few hundred hours of game play on Fallout 3, I hope New Vegas can give me that same satisfaction.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Chamale said:
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
Mcface said:
Chamale said:
You sound like a guy with real firearms experience, and you might have been in the army. Keep in mind that Fallout 3's protagonist was raised in a hole and never used anything but a BB gun. When your Small Guns rating is 20, looking down the sights makes no sense.

Come to think of it, Fallout: New Vegas' protagonist grew up in the Wasteland, so it makes sense for him to have firearms experience. The gameplay will definitely be changed as a result of having a protagonist from a different background.
It actually comes quit naturally. You almost force yourself to look down the sight when you are first starting out. It may be from the movies and video games or something, but before I even held a gun I knew it was probably a better idea to shoot that way. If its difficulty you are worried about, thats where recoil comes into play (something fallout 3 didn't actually have) as you fire, the sights sway and bounce around.

TheRockNRolla

Apr 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
TheRockNRolla said:
Woodsey said:
Developed by Obsidian.

I warn everyone to seriously lower their expectations - at least then you can be pleasantly surprised instead of crushingly disappointed.
This is true but apparently when their games suck, it's because of the producers or so they say about Alpha Protocol.
I thought the man-with-no-name blamed one of the lead designers on the developer team?
He also said Sega kept trying to stick crap in the game instead of letting them test for bugs and stuff.

Selef

Nov 13, 2009
I'm totally getting this, bu i expect it to be just like fallout 3, heck they said it would be JUST LIKE fallout 3, just with some improvements tacked on, not that being like fallout 3 is a bad thing in my book.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheRockNRolla said:
Woodsey said:
TheRockNRolla said:
Woodsey said:
Developed by Obsidian.

I warn everyone to seriously lower their expectations - at least then you can be pleasantly surprised instead of crushingly disappointed.
This is true but apparently when their games suck, it's because of the producers or so they say about Alpha Protocol.
I thought the man-with-no-name blamed one of the lead designers on the developer team?
He also said Sega kept trying to stick crap in the game instead of letting them test for bugs and stuff.
Yeah, well such accusations are becoming a bit of a habit for Obsidian. And I can't say I've ever heard of a publisher actively telling what extra gameplay elements should go in before.

Mr.Caine

Aug 27, 2008
Sort of looks like Fallout 3 re skinned but... whatever. Loved Fallout 3, then had to urge to go back in time and play the originals now I can't stand it. But I really hope a status update is given on the NCR and how The Masters super mutants are doing (same with Broken Hill). The Nightkin look pretty good; I just hope there is no cheap mini gun critical hit bs again. I pray there is a DLC where you go to the Hub... oh man that would be awesome.

Awake-

Jun 7, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
AAARRGGHHH

Sorry, that was me having a strong orgasm.

Ahem.

I'm a little excited about this game.
You scream 'AAARGGGHH' when you have an orgasm?

Anyway, does anyone think this game will beat Starcraft 2 in sales?

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Awake- said:
MiracleOfSound said:
AAARRGGHHH

Sorry, that was me having a strong orgasm.

Ahem.

I'm a little excited about this game.
You scream 'AAARGGGHH' when you have an orgasm?

Anyway, does anyone think this game will beat Starcraft 2 in sales?
Uh, worldwide, or just in the US? Cause if you mean worldwide, i think every single Korean with a functioning computer and the equivalent of $60 US dollars would like to have a word with you.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
You know, I really want to believe that this game will be good. I want to play another Bethesda game. I love their games so much. I know this isn't being made by Bethesda, but it's still going to have many of the things I love about their games in it. Mainly, the large open worlds for you to explore to your hearts content.

But then I hear all these people saying the Obsidian sucks and that they have a history of ruining good games with terrible sequels. How much truth is there in this statement? The only other sequel I know that they made is KOTOR2, and I've heard mixed opinions about that one.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
But then I hear all these people saying the Obsidian sucks and that they have a history of ruining good games with terrible sequels. How much truth is there in this statement? The only other sequel I know that they made is KOTOR2, and I've heard mixed opinions about that one.
KotOR many people liked more than the original, however it was mssing and ending because Lucas Arts published it before it was finished. NWN 2 was worse than NWN 1 which was an impressive accoplishment. The expansion MotB was however excellent. Alpha Protocol I can't comment on because I haven't played.