Fallout Online Promotes Famous Mutant as Deity

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
DayDark said:
Cynical skeptic said:
Kinda hope hes pre-treed. That really didn't make anything resembling even a modicum of sense. How do you stand still for the twenty years it'd take for the tree to even grow to your feet, and simply not notice it taking root?

But oblivion with guns (and any game bethesda developed) was generally shit anyway, so my expectations are kinda high.
I'm guessing he didn't stand still on purpose, but rather was slowly forced to as the tree grew threw him.
Grr... he did mention something about sleeping longer and longer...

Damn you! *waggles cane*

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hah! Unique - Remember that tree, makes me want to play game again

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Fallout Online Promotes Famous Mutant as Deity

Interplay wants gamers to join the Church of Harold before they take part in the upcoming Fallout Online.

If you don't know who Harold is, you've missed out on one of the Fallout series' key characters. He's a ghoul/mutant that has appeared in each of the franchise's main entries, including the recent teaser campaign [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-3-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B002BXKJA0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1284919298&sr=8-5], which recently took the form of a "Church of Harold" pamphlet.

A link to the pamphlet [http://www.interplay.com/foonl/foo000201.html] was emailed out by Interplay this weekend. It details the methods through which Harold must be honored.

The Church of Harold is nothing if not honest. It says: "Unlike other religions, we promise nothing. But, unlike others, we back up our promises! We don't guarantee someone will be there for you... but they might."

Harold was last seen **spoiler warning** being worshiped due to a tree engulfing him in Fallout 3, and he may be worshiped again in Fallout Online, though his form is not assured. At the least, Interplay seems to be planning to include him in the game, should it ever make it into stores.

The tree once seen growing out of Harold's head definitely plays a big part in his religion though, with the pamphlet requiring participants not eat meat or plants, but they can eat fruits, milk, honey, sap, and insects. If I were stuck in the world of Fallout, it'd be an easy call to follow Harold above all else.

I got this email, it's pretty sweet

Hopefully We'll get more stuff like this soon

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Cynical skeptic said:
Kinda hope hes pre-treed. That really didn't make anything resembling even a modicum of sense. How do you stand still for the twenty years it'd take for the tree to even grow to your feet, and simply not notice it taking root?

But oblivion with guns (and any game bethesda developed) was generally shit anyway, so my expectations are kinda high.
If you actually talk to him you'll find out that the tree grew from his head.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
RejjeN said:
If you actually talk to him you'll find out that the tree grew from his head.
... "treed" as in "IS SIGNIFICANTLY MORE TREE THAN MUTANT," thanks.

Back in fallout, he actually performed maintenance on the sapling. In oblivion with guns, he stopped giving a shit and suddenly "oh em gee i am a tree."

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Oh go to hell Harold. In Fallout you were interesting, in Fallout 2 you were reasonably cool, in Fallout 3 you're pointless. I get it, the developers like you. Your welcome's wearing a bit thin.

Piss off.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Harold? Oh yes,
I think I killed him...
That was fun!
Burn baby. Burn

It was for the best:
He wanted to end it all anyway.

I just provided the most immediate and efficient solution.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
But I destroyed his heart. His followers were surprisingly cool about it. I guess he's got a Neo-Jesus thing going on, then.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
Hmmm... I'm confused. Does Fallout Online consider Fallout 3 as part of canon or not?

EDIT: I just looked at the Fallout Online website [http://www.fallout-on-line.com/], they don't seem to be acknowledging Fallout 3.
That makes me happy. It also looks like you can register for beta testing there.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm a bit confused... Harold was stuck on a tree, in the Capital Wasteland and I killed him.
And now he's appearing in Fallout Online as if nothing happened?... Now I'm starting to wonder if he's going to appear in New Vegas, since they're now denying Fallout 3 as cannon...

Ah, good ol' Harold, I loved this quote from the first Fallout:

Vault Dweller: Is that a tree growing outta' your head?
Harold: Jealous? His name's Herbert. I talk to him when I get lonely. Heh heh just kiddin', his name's 'Bob'!
Vault Dweller: What is a hy-whatever'?
Harold: Well, technically...It's a thingy.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
If they somehow make Harold alive in this game I can already see groups of players trying to burn him down again. Harold's little cult really needed more guards. It was waaay too easy killing him in fallout 3.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
strum4h said:
Talking to him was awesome in fallout 2
As well as the first.
"How did you survive?"
"Didn't. Got killed." I'm just going to guess that this'll to follow from fallout 2 in a different way than three.