Family of "Wee for Wii" Victim Awarded $16m

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Wait, who was the winner? Must've been Tracy from Heroes.

Anyway, this poor family. The mom probably didn't think anything could happen from drinking too much water. The kids will live a good life now, if they spend the money wisely, but they'll never get her back. Poor family, my prayers go out to them.
*controls self to avoid making last name joke.*

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
SantoUno said:
WOw that is...idk whether to blame the mother for being so stupid over a pathetic excuse for a console or the people who held the contest.
I blame both, but the biggest villains here are the family. Rather than greiving over their dead mother/wife, they simply see it as a chance to make a fortune.

I hate people who do this...

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
gim73 said:
Most of the other contestants probably left the contest and actually used the toilet. I drink alot of water each day, but I also use the toilet when my body tells me to use it.

I remember hearing about this back when it happened and thinking that nobody should have been fired from the radio stations in the first place. It's like how water parks get shut down because one idiot decides he wants to do it 'his way' and gets himself killed. Then the family goes and sues the park for everything they have. Does this really make sense? This is the perfect example of the tyranny of the minority ruining everything for the majority. I like water parks. I don't like that some have been shut down because of statistical anomolies on the far end of the bell curve bringing down the whole thing.

Likewise, if a radio station had a contest where they have the contestants smoke as many cigarettes as they can in an hour, they shouldn't have to tell you that it is bad. A non-smoker shouldn't try out for this contest. Anybody who dies of cancer SHOULD NOT blame the radio station for their own stupidity.
Except that person who died in this case didn't ignore the rules do things her own way. She was encouraged by the radio station who knew the risks and few people ever heard of water poisoning. (I certainly didn't know you could die from drinking too much water or holding in your pee before I heard of this event.) It's more akin to water park employees goading her to jump off a spot, they claimed was safe when concrete was underneath. And people defend the water park employees by stating that the woman should have known better.

appleblush said:
No one finds that suspicious? No one thinks it's the least bit strange that instead of knowing that the DJ responsible for the irresponsibility is in jail for his actions they go for the money?
Judging by the posts her, the majority of people seem to side with the radio station that instigated the events leading to Mrs. Strange's death. Add that to the conviction rates in the United States, or the lack of initiative to attorneys to even prosecute criminals and you'll find that trying to convict them for a crime would lead to their walking free. Their conviction won't make them feel any more sorry than they probably already are.

However funerals costs a lot of money. Not having a mother to work and provide for the family causes a lot of hardship. The state of this economy is a lot of strain on Americans. 16 million dollars is a lot of money and can help alleviate that.

Ashbax said:
SantoUno said:
WOw that is...idk whether to blame the mother for being so stupid over a pathetic excuse for a console or the people who held the contest.
I blame both, but the biggest villains here are the family. Rather than greiving over their dead mother/wife, they simply see it as a chance to make a fortune.

If someone caused the death of one of your loved ones, wanting compensation for that is considered villainous?

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
The Youth Counselor said:
gim73 said:
Most of the other contestants probably left the contest and actually used the toilet. I drink alot of water each day, but I also use the toilet when my body tells me to use it.

I remember hearing about this back when it happened and thinking that nobody should have been fired from the radio stations in the first place. It's like how water parks get shut down because one idiot decides he wants to do it 'his way' and gets himself killed. Then the family goes and sues the park for everything they have. Does this really make sense? This is the perfect example of the tyranny of the minority ruining everything for the majority. I like water parks. I don't like that some have been shut down because of statistical anomolies on the far end of the bell curve bringing down the whole thing.

Likewise, if a radio station had a contest where they have the contestants smoke as many cigarettes as they can in an hour, they shouldn't have to tell you that it is bad. A non-smoker shouldn't try out for this contest. Anybody who dies of cancer SHOULD NOT blame the radio station for their own stupidity.
Except that person who died in this case didn't ignore the rules do things her own way. She was encouraged by the radio station who knew the risks and few people ever heard of water poisoning. (I certainly didn't know you could die from drinking too much water or holding in your pee before I heard of this event.) It's more akin to water park employees goading her to jump off a spot, they claimed was safe when concrete was underneath. And people defend the water park employees by stating that the woman should have known better.

appleblush said:
No one finds that suspicious? No one thinks it's the least bit strange that instead of knowing that the DJ responsible for the irresponsibility is in jail for his actions they go for the money?
Judging by the posts her, the majority of people seem to side with the radio station that instigated the events leading to Mrs. Strange's death. Add that to the conviction rates in the United States, or the lack of initiative to attorneys to even prosecute criminals and you'll find that trying to convict them for a crime would lead to their walking free. Their conviction won't make them feel any more sorry than they probably already are.

However funerals costs a lot of money. Not having a mother to work and provide for the family causes a lot of hardship. The state of this economy is a lot of strain on Americans. 16 million dollars is a lot of money and can help alleviate that.

Ashbax said:
SantoUno said:

If someone caused the death of one of your loved ones, wanting compensation for that is considered villainous?
Thats the point. Her death wasnt caused, she brought it upon herself.

Also, you say in your post that few people have heard of water poisoning. Every single person I know has heard of it, theres plenty about it on the news often, in many popular novels it comes up a fair bit...Im a bit surprised you dont know about it. Thats like being unaware of AIDS

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Ashbax said:
Also, you say in your post that few people have heard of water poisoning. Every single person I know has heard of it, theres plenty about it on the news often, in many popular novels it comes up a fair bit...Im a bit surprised you dont know about it. Thats like being unaware of AIDS
Here in California, I recall hearing on the news of people fainting from exercising after drinking too much water, or hearing about torture involving force feeding people water and jumping on their bellies to make it explode. We learn about AIDs and other diseases early in Elementary school.

However I've never heard of anyone dying from holding in their urine until this story. And every PE teacher I've had always encouraged us to drink MORE water, without even knowing about how much water we've had. We were only made aware of what overhydration does to electrolytes when I was in the 12th grade.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Everyone's pretty daft is this situation. Don't think the family deserve cash just 'cause mum was a moron, but the station should be loosing some.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Everyone's pretty daft is this situation. Don't think the family deserve cash just 'cause mum was a moron, but the station should be loosing some.
I agree. The station should lose some. They should have given her family a wii. Americans put too high of a value on human life. This woman didn't know it, but her life was actually worth around 300 bucks. Some criminals have been known to die for amounts close to nothing.

Really. If it was 'Race for a PS3' where they actually had to run fast, and her heart gave out during the race, this wouldn't be so much of an issue. Besides, a PS3 is worth dying for, a wii is not.

epsilon246

Sep 18, 2009
gim73 said:
I agree. The station should lose some. They should have given her family a wii. Americans put too high of a value on human life. This woman didn't know it, but her life was actually worth around 300 bucks. Some criminals have been known to die for amounts close to nothing.

Really. If it was 'Race for a PS3' where they actually had to run fast, and her heart gave out during the race, this wouldn't be so much of an issue. Besides, a PS3 is worth dying for, a wii is not.
Ignoring the fanboy comment if you're dead you can't play it so no console is really worth dying for is it.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
By this logic the radio station may as well blame Nintendo for inciting the contest by naming their console the wii. This woman is responsible for her own actions, the fact that the radio contest is what got her to drink all that water is irelevant,they did'nt force her to do it and she must have known that if you drink a ridiculous amount of water without expelling any there is a chance that some bad shit COULD happen. Its too bad for her family but its ridiculous that theyve made a dick load of cash out of it.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
epsilon246 said:
gim73 said:

Ignoring the fanboy comment if you're dead you can't play it so no console is really worth dying for is it.
If you REALLY wanna get technical, she probably didn't ever want to play the wii, she was just doing it for her kids. Something tells me that after this incident their family never got around to getting a wii.