Fan base insanity

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm probably guilty sometimes, but I'm usually on the other side of the fence. Not only do I hold contrary opinions, but I staunchly oppose gatekeeping in fandoms. My views on Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Star Trek (TOS-the reboot, so everything), Lord of the Rings and Joss Whedon all carry the death sentence in some parts of the web. Oddly enough, I only don't like one of those things (LotR). My views on some franchises are fairly mainstream, though (Star Wars is a great example).

When it comes to music, I can sometimes be snobby, but I don't really care what people are listening to unless they make me listen to it. Or they're listening to Nickelback[footnote]A joke, for the record[/footnote].

When it comes to other stuff...eh. I mock Apple sometimes, get called both a PC elitist and a console casual while championing neither, I like Android phones but don't give a crap what you use, and the only thing I dislike about not sharing gaming interests with friends is that I often feel left out of the conversations. A month or two ago, a couple of my friends were going on about The Binding of Isaac, and I sort of wanted to play it just for the frame of reference--even though I have previously reacted to it with a resounding MEH. See also: Undertale, which several people I know absolutely love, but Jim's preview of led me to the conclusion I shouldn't bother. Same's kinda true the other way around--I wish people enjoyed [Game X[] because I'd like to talk about it, but I don't have a problem when people don't.

Casual Shinji said:
It's a natural human response.
Kinda makes me glad I'm neither. <.<

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Many fandoms annoy the crap out of me. It's usually the people who feel the need to continually insult a work and those who don't actively dislike it (the SW prequels being a prime example), purists who view any slight change as blasphemy, people who throw baseless criticisms against something because it doesn't match their preferred vision (Man of Steel haters) and those who say something sucks or think something's terrible that hasn't even come out yet (BvS and SS haters).

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The steven universe fandom when they went apeshit on the EQD people when they were planning on making a Steven Universe fan site, like EQD. The EQD people still make the site eventually but the SU fandom reaction to the planning of making it was really weird.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
No, if anything I'm far more likely to get pissed off at the stupidity and over enthusiasm of other fans and I tend to assume everything I like is shit anyway.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I've gone defensive myself, I think it happens to everyone. Particularly when you feel that people are "just wrong", as it were. Like when DayZ got big, in my case. "Oh, what an awesome zombie-game! Shame it's attached to this shitty Call of Duty ripoff!" was one I got rather huffed by. But then you remember that it doesn't really matter that much. It's just what some people think, people you'll never have anything to do with. You let go.
Fan-insanity is when that border never happens, when fans get defensive and never stop. When what they hate overshadows the fandom itself.

Irrational fan insanity is usually a result of liking something so much that you turn into a core character trait. Something that isn't something you really like anymore, but a pure and whole part of you.

No Mutants Allowed are certainly one example. Although it's important to remember that they're not bad people. But Fallout was their wee little babby, something they loved so much that they can't let go of the fact that it turned into something else. It's a mixture of nostalgia for bygone days, loss and a feeling that something has been taken away and made worse. Even so, no matter how acidic they can be towards people who doesn't agree, they haven't exactly bombed the Bethesda studios or lynched the developers in their homes.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
No, not really. How much or how little someone else likes (or dislikes) something I like doesn't really matter to me. It doesn't directly effect my own enjoyment, so why would I get upset over it?

I've always tried following the mantra "Live and let live". So I'll enjoy what I like and others can enjoy what they like. Just don't pester me about it.

FalloutJack said:
I love Fallout, but I hate the people who go ape-shit anal over this stuff. I want to go find the servers responsible for No Mutants Allowed and blow them all up. I have never been there, but I have heard that they're a rather nasty community of people who screech and yell at people for having a different opinion than them about the Fallout series. So, for the record, they must be shitting their pants over Fallout 4.
To be fair, a number of Fallout 4 fans were just as annoying leading into the game's release. (and post-release)

For example, while trying to discuss what was shown in the Doom 4 multiplayer beta trailer, the discussion was immediately derailed by a flood of Fallout fans. All they did was complain that Bethesda dared to release a video that wasn't about Fallout. And this wasn't an isolated incident.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Snippitude
Oh, you're surprised? I should be going to a place where mentioning the Capital Wastelands or Three Dog would get me yelled at? I'm way more forgiving than them. You know that kick-ass RP I'm running that's dedicated to the bizarre and nuttier side of Fallout? It would NEVER happen there, ever. Why? Small list.

Complaints about it taking place in and around Bethesda's first romp in the Wasteland.
Complaints about Three Dog and GNR, and using them for any reason.
Complaints about letting character creation allow for strange and unique characters.
Complaints about my character profiles sorting Perks, Traits, and Skills into one section.
Complaints about EVERYTHING that I did with the Enclave in general.
Complaints about the Fort Knox Super Vault being a weapons and technology-producing MacGuffin.
Complaints about having different video game, anime, live-action media, or even clever book references.
Complaints about how I don't heavily-enforce weight, ammo/perishable/cap count, or stats.
Complaints about breaking the Fourth Wall, especially with Johnny Truant, Jack, and Number One.
Complaints about the war between the Gary clones and the Sylphy clones.
Complaints about all manner of niggling unimportant details about combat, equipment, and more.
Complaints about the Brotherhood of Steel being how they were in Fallout 3, and not like in Fallout 2.
Complaints about Super Mutant Behemoths, Nightmares, Scarecrows, Walrexes, and other new mutations.
Complaints about players having no unique items unless I'm okay with it, and none of the game ones.
Complaints about Megaton being armed to the teeth with the Lone Wanderer's stash.
Complaints about involving China and it being full of red Glowing One ghouls who are not feral.
Complaints about allowing characters to have hailed from far out west, like from New Vegas.
Complaints about my play-style, writing style, GMing style, lots of other OOC bullshit.
Complaints about the obvious involvement of the bar beyond time and space.
Complaints about anything at all regarding Metal Gear BOX.
Complaints about my cameo of several Shadowrunners making their way across the Wasteland.
Complaints about actually having the RPG glitch out a few times.

All this and more, if the price is right!

Zhukov said:
Sniptastic
Well, it's like when you're soaking radiation. What I heard was accurate, but second-hand. So, I take light rad-damage, plunk some Radaways, and I'm fine. You, however, must've needed a full Radiation Suit and Rad-X, plus a visit to the auto-doc later. And anyone those guys have ever yelled at? Probably looked like they just came back from The Glow, all ghoulified and burnt. I'm sorry you went there, just as I'm sorry it exists. They make decent fans like me look bad.

Vigormortis said:
Snippacino
On behalf of all the Fallout players who AREN'T such pains in the ass, I would like to extend an apology for that.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
FalloutJack said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Snippitude
Oh, you're surprised? I should be going to a place where mentioning the Capital Wastelands or Three Dog would get me yelled at? I'm way more forgiving than them. You know that kick-ass RP I'm running that's dedicated to the bizarre and nuttier side of Fallout? It would NEVER happen there, ever. Why? Small list.

Complaints about it taking place in and around Bethesda's first romp in the Wasteland.
Complaints about Three Dog and GNR, and using them for any reason.
Complaints about letting character creation allow for strange and unique characters.
Complaints about my character profiles sorting Perks, Traits, and Skills into one section.
Complaints about EVERYTHING that I did with the Enclave in general.
Complaints about the Fort Knox Super Vault being a weapons and technology-producing MacGuffin.
Complaints about having different video game, anime, live-action media, or even clever book references.
Complaints about how I don't heavily-enforce weight, ammo/perishable/cap count, or stats.
Complaints about breaking the Fourth Wall, especially with Johnny Truant, Jack, and Number One.
Complaints about the war between the Gary clones and the Sylphy clones.
Complaints about all manner of niggling unimportant details about combat, equipment, and more.
Complaints about the Brotherhood of Steel being how they were in Fallout 3, and not like in Fallout 2.
Complaints about Super Mutant Behemoths, Nightmares, Scarecrows, Walrexes, and other new mutations.
Complaints about players having no unique items unless I'm okay with it, and none of the game ones.
Complaints about Megaton being armed to the teeth with the Lone Wanderer's stash.
Complaints about involving China and it being full of red Glowing One ghouls who are not feral.
Complaints about allowing characters to have hailed from far out west, like from New Vegas.
Complaints about my play-style, writing style, GMing style, lots of other OOC bullshit.
Complaints about the obvious involvement of the bar beyond time and space.
Complaints about anything at all regarding Metal Gear BOX.
Complaints about my cameo of several Shadowrunners making their way across the Wasteland.
Complaints about actually having the RPG glitch out a few times.

All this and more, if the price is right!

To be fair, they'd probably be fine with having New Vegas based characters. They don't mind NV nearly as much as 3 or 4, mostly because they liked the writing and hardcore mode.
Spot on with the rest.

Seguing from NMA, I don't really get annoyed when people hate/love things I love/hate, as long as we're civil about it. If you despise Fury Road, I'll think you're wrong, but would be interested in your problems with it.
I can't stand fans who blindly ignore all flaws or needlessly pick apart something because it's not exactly what they wanted.
Yes, Pacific Rim is not a modern masterpiece of cinema. It's a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, and it knows that. It goes whole hog with cheesy dialogue and hammy action to move between fights.

Complaining about the acting is one thing, complaining that it doesn't adequately explore the effects of giant monster invasions on the socio/economic level is another. The movie wasn't made for that purpose. I'm fine if you aren't a fan of big monster movies or don't think Pacific Rim is a good one. Turning it into something it's not to create an argument feels disingenuous at best, as that logic can be applied to any creative work to make it appear to be garbage.

This also applies to complaining that a FPS with RPG elements set in the Fallout world isn't an cRPG. No, it's not.
Any FPS will score lower than any cRPG when graded on the scale of how much of a cRPG it is.
You might not like FPS games. You might want an old cRPG. But grading one against another is, pardon the cliche, comparing apples to oranges. Assessing Fallout 3 based on canonical reasons and flaws is another, and lamenting the lack of a classical RPG is fine. But that's not what's being looked at. Not liking it because you don't like first person views, real time combat, and shooting is fine. The gameplay not living up to your expectations is fine. But attacking anyone who says they enjoy it over the old systems is not.

This brings me nicely to the second type of fan that gets on my nerves - the people who shun newcomers for being new.

If someone goes "Oh, I love Game 5: The Fifth Reckoning," the proper response is not "Scrub, play the first four games and then say you like G5:FR. They dumbed it down for casuals like you, [sub]it's a slap in the face to fans,[/sub][sub][sub] it changed this poorly written segment and the canon to clarify and I don't like it,[/sub][/sub] [sub][sub][sub]grumble grumble."[/sub][/sub][/sub]

I don't get why people have to shun newcomers into their fanbases. That person now has an immense advantage - they can see it all for the first time. Show them, encourage them, let them explore. Saying they aren't a real fan because they were born later or didn't put in the reading is stupid. There's no "real fan" card. You don't need to fill in a punch ticket every hour you spent hand modding a game or playing the originals. It doesn't make you better, or the new person worse. If you think you're a fan of something, you are.
I saw Fury Road and loved it. I became a fan of the Mad Max universe and series in a day. I then watched the originals after. I am not more of a fan for doing that. I'm just more informed of it.
Toxic communities don't make people want to join, make target audiences smaller, and make developers either want to move on or redesign the game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I tend to be the guy who will endlessly recommend something he likes to everyone and never shut the fuck up about it. My response to someone not liking something I like is kinda a sad feeling for them. I enjoyed X so much and you don't? That sucks for you, sorry man :(

I'm reminded of that guy who always posts in the Visual Novel threads about how he doesn't like them, yet always pops up in them regardless. I wonder if he actually took a couple of my recommendations in the end...

The only time I get annoyed about people liking something is when I feel like they got tricked into it. Anyone who says Clannad Afterstory is great and made you cry? You got tricked into it my friend, the studio took the affection towards the characters that was built up in Season 1 (Season 1 was good by the way) then just destroyed every character in the plot because this'll get them some massively cheap points in the feels department, fuckin' hacks.

Also has anyone here NOT played Persona 4? Get on that shit, i'll wait.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The Fallout community (or at least the "old" guard) have been openly hostile to every single Fallout game I've liked. Buggy? Yes. Lacking in perks/skills/dialogue options? Yes. A plague on gaming? Nah.

Still, there are worse fanbases.

*glances at Sonic*

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
MiskWisk said:
I'm generally not confident enough to really give people shit unless they start first. That said, I will get rather... tetchy if people start being dicks about something I like without any actual reason to do so other than, "I heard from a friend that it was shit."

I do also have a significant problem with people who legitimately think Draco in leather pants [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DracoInLeatherPants] and Ron the Death Eater [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RonTheDeathEater] are good things. It's disturbing the amount of vitriol they can spew to fictional characters and makes me honestly nervous about their actual character. Well, it would if I didn't have to hold my reaction to effectively shout them down.
I hear you. I once saw a FFVII fan who'd concocted a ridiculously elaborate fan theory in order to make Sephiroth the good guy. I can't stand fans whose mental image of a character clearly differs completely from the actual character. If you only like a distorted Sephiroth who has tea parties with Cloud, and giggles when he gets cream on his nose and lets Cloud lick it off, then you don't like Sephiroth.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
FalloutJack said:
On behalf of all the Fallout players who AREN'T such pains in the ass, I would like to extend an apology for that.
While I appreciate the gesture, there's no need to apologize. I know full well the vast majority do not act that way.

Besides, it could be worse. They could be Star Wars fans...

<.<

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
I tease people about it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so when I hear that someone hasn't seen them, or doesn't like them, I'll say, "Burn the heathen!" or something like that, but I make it very clear that I'm joking. Usually a get an eye roll and a smile. Sometimes I get a laugh and an excuse, and a few times I get the "Ugh, just go away" look, which I do.
James Earl Jones was on a talk show once (Gayle King, I think?), and he said he loves meeting people who've never watched Star Wars, to the point where he now more often gives a chance to people he's never heard of. This lead to Gayle King telling him to recite the lyrics from a song by Justin Beiber, and Jones read the lyrics to 'Baby' aloud, giving it a chance because he's never heard of Justin Beiber. He's like that because he now seems to appreciate people who HAVEN'T seen Star Wars more than people that have. Imagine that.

I really hope I don't come across as too offensive when I say this, but you're lucky I haven't been around you when you do that 'Burn the heathen' thing, since I probably would have pulled you aside and told you flat out that people like me are sick of people like you and hope to avoid you wherever we go. If it weren't for 'that guy' in your LotR class, YOU would be 'that guy' to me.

I say this for two reasons. First, I used to go to college with guys who did similar things like that to me when I said I either wasn't too impressed with a cult favorite (like Blade Runner) or when I said that I thought The Princess Bride was a decent movie. Yes, a guy like you looked straight at me and said "Get out." when I said I thought Princess Bride was a 'decent' movie. Not bad, not mediocre. Decent. Instead of 'one of the greatest movies ever'. Yeah, the guy was joking, but that guy always came across as someone way too in love with his own childhood, and that's what I find a lot of Star Wars fanboys to be. He was 'that guy' in the classes I had with him.

It may be a joke, but believe me when I say that it's a joke at your own expense. Even if you don't mean it, it shows that you're too attached to something so that your first response to someone who hasn't seen it is an over-reaction to the fact that they haven't seen it. You do that enough times, and you will develop a reputation as a 'that guy' to the people around you. And as the saying goes, don't be 'that guy'. No one likes 'that guy'. I don't mean to take it out on you, specifically, but I'm not going to lie when I say that if I saw you do that more than once, you'd have a pretty solid place on my shit list, because that really pisses me off.

The second reason is because, if you haven't guessed by now, the one big stink I have with fandoms is the Star Wars fandom. I don't hate the movies. I'm not like that guy in the LotR class, I don't think they're garbage, or anything, but I don't think the prequels are nearly as awful as they would have me believe, and I don't think the originals are nearly as exemplary either, especially Empire.

Nearly everything I've come to find insufferable over the years about overzealous fandoms or pop culture enthusiasts in general can pretty much all be found in the Star Wars fandom. Anti-CGI snobbery, refusal to let go and move on from petty hatred against movies they don't like, using others' critique of things they don't like as "proof" or validation of said petty hatred (RedLetterMedia), using said critiques as a reason to not have to have an original opinion on the subject in question anymore, love of their own childhood that borders on worship, using the critically acclaimed status of their favorite movie to invalidate any contemporary negative criticism, refusal to listen to or acknowledge faults in what they consider "perfect", and even bullying someone from something they don't like until the person goes sour (Jake Lloyd), etc.

A very specific example of one of the worst things Star Wars fans do is that they've been saturating the creative industry with Star Wars-derivative designs for sci-fi media. I learned this in college when I was taking a portfolio class, and the professor was telling us about ship designs (she had worked with the studio that made the Nebuchadnezzar from The Matrix, she was a texture artist), and she happened to mention one of the other recurring creative design teachers at the college. I had never had that teacher, but I had certainly heard his name. She brought up that he tended to direct his students' design to more 'Star Wars' styles of vehicles, because he really liked Star Wars. I thought that it was horrible that he would shoe-horn his own preferences onto his students when they want to develop their own style. My professor was okay with it because she likes Star Wars, too. When you have Star Wars fanboys/fangirls directing the new generation towards the same exact styles, you're going to get a lot of sci-fi with the same over-designed ships that were approved because it's 'like Star Wars', because that's what's taught these days. It was fine in the actual Star Wars movies because it was its own style, but what's being taught in art schools is going to lead to saturation, mark my words.

Honestly, I could go on, but its nearly 2 am for me. As another poster said, sometimes "Fuck off" catharsis is really nice. That said, I'd like a lot of Star Wars fans to just fuck off. Nearly everything new I learned about their fandom just continues to piss me off. But they're not going away. With Disney planning to release annual Star Wars movies, they have no reason to. Burn the heathens, indeed.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
ShogunGino said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I tease people about it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so when I hear that someone hasn't seen them, or doesn't like them, I'll say, "Burn the heathen!" or something like that, but I make it very clear that I'm joking. Usually a get an eye roll and a smile. Sometimes I get a laugh and an excuse, and a few times I get the "Ugh, just go away" look, which I do.
James Earl Jones was on a talk show once (Gayle King, I think?), and he said he loves meeting people who've never watched Star Wars, to the point where he now more often gives a chance to people he's never heard of. This lead to Gayle King telling him to recite the lyrics from a song by Justin Beiber, and Jones read the lyrics to 'Baby' aloud, giving it a chance because he's never heard of Justin Beiber. He's like that because he now seems to appreciate people who HAVEN'T seen Star Wars more than people that have. Imagine that.

I really hope I don't come across as too offensive when I say this, but you're lucky I haven't been around you when you do that 'Burn the heathen' thing, since I probably would have pulled you aside and told you flat out that people like me are sick of people like you and hope to avoid you wherever we go. If it weren't for 'that guy' in your LotR class, YOU would be 'that guy' to me.

I say this for two reasons. First, I used to go to college with guys who did similar things like that to me when I said I either wasn't too impressed with a cult favorite (like Blade Runner) or when I said that I thought The Princess Bride was a decent movie. Yes, a guy like you looked straight at me and said "Get out." when I said I thought Princess Bride was a 'decent' movie. Not bad, not mediocre. Decent. Instead of 'one of the greatest movies ever'. Yeah, the guy was joking, but that guy always came across as someone way too in love with his own childhood, and that's what I find a lot of Star Wars fanboys to be. He was 'that guy' in the classes I had with him.

It may be a joke, but believe me when I say that it's a joke at your own expense. Even if you don't mean it, it shows that you're too attached to something so that your first response to someone who hasn't seen it is an over-reaction to the fact that they haven't seen it. You do that enough times, and you will develop a reputation as a 'that guy' to the people around you. And as the saying goes, don't be 'that guy'. No one likes 'that guy'. I don't mean to take it out on you, specifically, but I'm not going to lie when I say that if I saw you do that more than once, you'd have a pretty solid place on my shit list, because that really pisses me off.

The second reason is because, if you haven't guessed by now, the one big stink I have with fandoms is the Star Wars fandom. I don't hate the movies. I'm not like that guy in the LotR class, I don't think they're garbage, or anything, but I don't think the prequels are nearly as awful as they would have me believe, and I don't think the originals are nearly as exemplary either, especially Empire.

Nearly everything I've come to find insufferable over the years about overzealous fandoms or pop culture enthusiasts in general can pretty much all be found in the Star Wars fandom. Anti-CGI snobbery, refusal to let go and move on from petty hatred against movies they don't like, using others' critique of things they don't like as "proof" or validation of said petty hatred (RedLetterMedia), using said critiques as a reason to not have to have an original opinion on the subject in question anymore, love of their own childhood that borders on worship, using the critically acclaimed status of their favorite movie to invalidate any contemporary negative criticism, refusal to listen to or acknowledge faults in what they consider "perfect", and even bullying someone from something they don't like until the person goes sour (Jake Lloyd), etc.

A very specific example of one of the worst things Star Wars fans do is that they've been saturating the creative industry with Star Wars-derivative designs for sci-fi media. I learned this in college when I was taking a portfolio class, and the professor was telling us about ship designs (she had worked with the studio that made the Nebuchadnezzar from The Matrix, she was a texture artist), and she happened to mention one of the other recurring creative design teachers at the college. I had never had that teacher, but I had certainly heard his name. She brought up that he tended to direct his students' design to more 'Star Wars' styles of vehicles, because he really liked Star Wars. I thought that it was horrible that he would shoe-horn his own preferences onto his students when they want to develop their own style. My professor was okay with it because she likes Star Wars, too. When you have Star Wars fanboys/fangirls directing the new generation towards the same exact styles, you're going to get a lot of sci-fi with the same over-designed ships that were approved because it's 'like Star Wars', because that's what's taught these days. It was fine in the actual Star Wars movies because it was its own style, but what's being taught in art schools is going to lead to saturation, mark my words.

Honestly, I could go on, but its nearly 2 am for me. As another poster said, sometimes "Fuck off" catharsis is really nice. That said, I'd like a lot of Star Wars fans to just fuck off. Nearly everything new I learned about their fandom just continues to piss me off. But they're not going away. With Disney planning to release annual Star Wars movies, they have no reason to. Burn the heathens, indeed.
At which point, I would simply not talk to you anymore. Not because you don't like Star Wars, but because you and I are only completely different wave lengths. I tease the people I work with, my classmates, and my friends in good fun. I know not everyone enjoys Star Wars, or wants to see the movies. It's in good fun, and they understand that. Some people don't though and think I'm being serious. In which case, I abandon ship as fast as I can and stay away from people like that because I know all I'm going to do is make them angry because my sense of humor is completely different from theirs.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
springheeljack said:
After listening to this video I was wondering how people can get so caught up in a fan base that they get so worked up and rage at someone who feels differently. I've been a fan of quite a few things but I never been rabid about it.
We're all different. Some people, invest waaaay more of their personal identity into the things they enjoy/love than others. Those people would be the type of fan(atic) that you are referring to. In fact, I would say that this type of "fan" is exactly the type that made the term fan get stuck to them, as a mutation of fanatic. I mean what is a fanatic? Someone who is so strongly devoted to something, to the point of social detriment, and possibly hostile/abusive behavior to those who feel differently, also while constantly proselytizing to try and convert more people to their worldview. Sounds like the textbook definition of a "fan" to me. *shrugs* It's just who we are sometimes. Not everyone gets like this, but plenty do. Just look at college/professional sports fans, they are so enthralled in their passion that they will assault each other, and even trash towns in a frenzy of fan reaction. It's just excessive human emotional behavior.

springheeljack said:
What about you guys have you ever been so wrapped up in a game or show that you attack or judge someone for not liking it? Or even based your entire personality and life around a show or band? https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=h7Mu223uU-A
I'm sure there was something at some point that I loved a lot to take offense at when others would criticize it? I can't recall honestly. I don't ever recall being the kind of person who would hate on someone for not liking what I like, or hating them for liking something I hate. I've always been a "everyone's got their own thing" kind of person, so I don't think there was any subject where I defended it to the core as a fan. There have been times though when people have insulted something I liked, and I felt anger/annoyance at it. But hey, they're entitled to their own opinion on things. Like apparently, Dragonball Z is some kind of big thing in the world? *shrugs* I never saw the appeal of it personally, but a bunch of other people did, so it's a thing. I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that people like something I don't. I've got far more important things to worry about in this life than that.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
At which point, I would simply not talk to you anymore. Not because you don't like Star Wars, but because you and I are only completely different wave lengths. I tease the people I work with, my classmates, and my friends in good fun. I know not everyone enjoys Star Wars, or wants to see the movies. It's in good fun, and they understand that. Some people don't though and think I'm being serious. In which case, I abandon ship as fast as I can and stay away from people like that because I know all I'm going to do is make them angry because my sense of humor is completely different from theirs.
There are some key words you said here. "People I work with, my classmates, and my friends." I'm going to imagine that most of the people who gave you the 'just go away' reaction are people you didn't know very well. Experience has taught me that you're only allowed to make jokes like that once you've gotten to know them.

One of my Skype friends is gay, and he likes to jokingly make passes at me or our other straight male Skype friends on occasion. We're okay with it, because we've talked with him plenty of times before about other things, so we know he's just joking. But one day he told me about a small group of guys whom he used to podcast with who he no longer has good relations with, and it sounds like at least one of them didn't like the fake passes he would make on him. It seemed like my friend didn't really know the guy well outside of what they occasionally discussed on the podcast, and I couldn't believe that he needed explaining to that some people don't appreciate it when someone makes jokes like that without knowing them well enough first. Knowing the jokes my friend makes, he probably mentioned sucking the guy's dick at some point. I, and some of our other friends tolerate it, but only because we know him better than that one guy did.

If one of your co-worker's or classmate's first real exchange of personality with you is you giving them shit because they haven't seen Star Wars, it's very likely that they'll just want you to go away, and they'll only remember you as 'that guy' who told them to burn because they haven't watched a movie. You can only makes jokes against other people after getting to know them. I doubt any of them actually think you're being serious, like that one guy who my gay friend made fake passes at, but a sense of humor like that is really only appreciated amongst friends. It's why I got irritated at those guys at college who did that to me. And it's probably why some people react with irritation towards you.

This isn't even about a fandom, this is more just advice in general.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
It's fanbase examples like the ones posted as to why I hate MOBA's and fighters.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Redlin5 said:
The Fallout community (or at least the "old" guard) have been openly hostile to every single Fallout game I've liked. Buggy? Yes. Lacking in perks/skills/dialogue options? Yes. A plague on gaming? Nah.
Aaand welcome to my end of the woods. Yeah, there may be some legitimate grumblings about the business aspect of Bethesda's takeover of Fallout, but the games haven't been bad.

Incidentally, I'm with Vigor on Star Wars fans. Nothing worse than a fanbase over 30 years old grumbling about Han shooting first, or not, or so, or whatever. Even the 50-year-old sci-fi show may not be quite so bad.

Charcharo said:
Breakdown said:
It annoys me when people say that the TV series of Game of Thrones is better than the books, and by extension George RR Martin is a bad writer.
Wait a second ... people like that exist :O !??

The hell!@??
I believe it, though it may be something more to do with Martin's personality than his writing. After all, the books ARE good and he got them to be both serialized and popular. HOWEVER, this man is also a real dick. I feel the more legitimate complaints would therefore be in him being a bad person who writes rather well...when he gets around to it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Redlin5 said:
Aaand welcome to my end of the woods. Yeah, there may be some legitimate grumblings about the business aspect of Bethesda's takeover of Fallout, but the games haven't been bad.

Incidentally, I'm with Vigor on Star Wars fans. Nothing worse than a fanbase over 30 years old grumbling about Han shooting first, or not, or so, or whatever. Even the 50-year-old sci-fi show may not be quite so bad.

Charcharo said:
Breakdown said:
It annoys me when people say that the TV series of Game of Thrones is better than the books, and by extension George RR Martin is a bad writer.
Wait a second ... people like that exist :O !??

The hell!@??
I believe it, though it may be something more to do with Martin's personality than his writing. After all, the books ARE good and he got them to be both serialized and popular. HOWEVER, this man is also a real dick. I feel the more legitimate complaints would therefore be in him being a bad person who writes rather well...when he gets around to it.
I don't say that GRRM is a bad writer, but I will stand by the statement that a lot of his writing can be boooooring. Seriously, the 2 books prior to the most recent release, (I forget their names as I read them a decade ago), were mind numbingly dull for me to read. So much bullshit with Sansa being stupid, and Cerse being insane and manipulative. Over and over, chapter after chapter. Fucking give me a break. However, watching the show, which covers all of that material, I found myself genuinely interested, and not bored at all. So yeah, the show is, in a lot of ways, better than the books, at least from a pacing and structure angle.