Fan Builds Shocking Replica of Thor's Hammer

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fan Builds Shocking Replica of Thor's Hammer

A fan has built an electrified Mjolnir with built in Tesla coils.

Captain American has his shield, Iron Man has his armor and Thor has his hammer. For my money, Thor has the best of the lot. Sure, Captain America can toss that shield around like nobody's business and Iron Man's suit can pretty much be modified to do whatever Tony Stark wants, but there's just something about the hammer Mjorlnir that reeks of cool. Thor doesn't need a fancy suit or a super serum, he'll just walk into the room and beat you down like an interstellar nail in the wall.

Thanks to the success of the Marvel superhero films, tracking down a decent replica of Mjolnir isn't too tall of an order these days. A quick Google search will find you some fairly convincing versions of the legendary mallet. That said, finding one that can replicate its less earthly properties could cause you some consternation. Walmart might have foam rubber Mjolnirs in its toy section, but it's safe to say it probably hasn't gotten around to stocking ones that summon lightning, just yet.

Hoping to bring fan hammers a step closer to the real deal, Caleb Kraft of Hackaday recently built a custom, electrified replica of Mjolnir. Kraft's version includes miniature Tesla coils, hidden inside the hammer that can be activated at will to produce a small electrical discharge. Kraft made the hammer with the help Tesla coil hobbyist <a href=https://sites.google.com/a/elaan.com/staci-s-workbench/Home>Staci Elaan. Elaan, who builds coils and then donates them to educational groups, built the 12V coil used in Kraft's replica. "I had seen some videos of [Staci Elaan] showing off her battery-powered coils and I really liked her results," said Kraft. "I figured, with her experience, she could probably do a better job than I could on getting the most bang out of a small package."

Kraft's Mjolnir may not be able to summon lighting bolts from the sky, but it's nonetheless a nifty cosplay companion that's likely to turn heads when it hits its first convention. It's also a clever example of science being used to give life to a relic firmly rooted in fantasy.

Source: Hackaday

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Kraft's Mjolnir may not be able to summon lighting bolts from the sky, but it's nonetheless a nifty cosplay companion that's likely to turn heads when it hits its first convention.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed in a convention, on account of it being practically a taser...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
What's up with all the posts about people creating stuff today??!!
I feel like I need to go make something...

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I just want to know what the hammer looks like in the dark.

That is, if the "lightning" effect is more impressive when it also illuminates the hammer.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Kraft's Mjolnir may not be able to summon lighting bolts from the sky, but it's nonetheless a nifty cosplay companion that's likely to turn heads when it hits its first convention.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed in a convention, on account of it being practically a taser...
Based on what most of the girls' costumes look like, I'd be surprised if any of them left their hotel rooms without tasers.
Either that or pepper spray, which is far more concealable and just as effective (although it would cause some serious collateral damage if sprayed willy-nilly, on top of how badly it stains clothes).

*topic* Shame the coils weren't placed on one of the bashing sides of the hammer. I mean, really, getting poked with a hammer. Sounds pretty dumb, in my opinion.

captcha: What planet are we on?
Me: One I don't wanna live in anymore.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Who cares about the hammer, there's a sweet aperture science handheld portal device in the background. I WANT IT!

But seriously, that hammer is pretty bad ass. Kudos to him.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I pretty sure the hammer head wasn't that huge in the film! None the less that is quite impressive.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Given Mr. Punishmen isn't here.

That will have to suffice

OT: Pretty neat idea with the tesla coil and the hammer, although i admit it looked more metallic then foamlike when i first saw the screenshot in the article.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Guffe said:
What's up with all the posts about people creating stuff today??!!
I feel like I need to go make something...
Same here... I think I'll go make my bed.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
cursedseishi said:
StewShearer said:
It's also a clever example of science being used to give life to a relic firmly rooted in fantasy.
*Coughs*...

In the movie, if I'm remembering right, Thor actually says that all this idea of "magic" is actually just highly advanced technology. So in that end, its science being used to give life to a relic firmly rooted in very, very, very advanced science... =P

And in the movie Thor loses all of his power when he loses his hammer. And, while I'm not all that knowledgeable in the comics, Thor still has a reliance on Mjolnir for a majority of his powers, as well as golden apples to sustain his lifespan.

So, Mjolnir is actually kind of like a "super serum" type deal for him!

But that's enough teasing nitpicking though from me!

Well... besides Cap's Vibranium Shield = Thor's Mjolnir. I definitely wouldn't mind taking the shield over the hammer, if I wouldn't be gaining all the powers of Thor himself along with it!
I think it might actually be his armour that gives him his strength. It's quite possible that those disks on his armour are batteries or something.