Fan made Metroid 2 remake!?!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
So I stumbled across this yesterday, and found out it was releasing the first playable version today.

So, I mean, I am DLing as we speak.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ca/

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hmm, didn't expect this project to ever get this far. I was pretty sure Nintendo would've put the kibosh on it by now. Maybe it flew under their radar somehow?

Anyways, I'll give this a spin sometime.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty neat. Metroid 2 was my first, and longest played, Metroid, and my third Gameboy game. I have fond memories.

Kind of weird though... I feel strange looking at the 'new and improved' graphics. My nostalgia craves that grey scale.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Chimpzy said:
Hmm, didn't expect this project to ever get this far. I was pretty sure Nintendo would've put the kibosh on it by now. Maybe it flew under their radar somehow?
Ah, that's easy. It takes time for them to notice things. Remember that Chrono Trigger fan game? They were...what? In the Alpha stage? Almost done? Let's not forget some other things, like the guy who was putting himself through college by creating Fallout laser rifles, of which I have one of the few he ever built before Bethesda got wind of it. You know what it took? A news report, like the one that was here on the Escapist. Without that, it could be months before a big group takes notice, even years.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
I have excitement!

Been following this one for years, and astounded that it hasn't been C&D'ed or just stopped due to lack of energy from the creators during all that time. Despite being only the second game in the series, it encapsulates much of what we love about Metroid games, and now it's even better and prettier-looking.

Definitely an impressive expansion of the original game with so many new bosses and cleaned-up areas, though I do feel like the new Zeta Metroids are kind of unfair with how small their windows of vulnerability are. Haven't seen Omegas or the Metroid Queen yet, though from the blog it definitely sounds like they're going the extra mile to make her tough but balanced.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I found out about it 2 weeks ago as I was browsing the internet for Metroid related stuff after playing through Prime 2 and 3. Apparently the guy has been working on it for 10 years, I just downloaded and played it for 10 minutes and it handles exactly like zero mission and fusion, I am looking forward to this. After it I can try out other M and say I've played through all the Metroid games besides the original and Hunters.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Without that, it could be months before a big group takes notice, even years.
You mean to tell me the big players don't waste resources that could be better used elsewhere by keeping a massive fulltime staff on hand whose only job is to scour the web day in, day out for anything that might rustle their corporate overlord's jimmies? That is very disappointing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Chimpzy said:
FalloutJack said:
Without that, it could be months before a big group takes notice, even years.
You mean to tell me the big players don't waste resources that could be better used elsewhere by keeping a massive fulltime staff on hand whose only job is to scour the web day in, day out for anything that might rustle their corporate overlord's jimmies? That is very disappointing.
Evil as some of these people seem to be, the product would not reach anywhere close to a finished product if they did, and I would not have a laser rifle, so...yeah.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I'm really surprised that this made it to release. The big publishers really love to shutdown big fan projects like this whenever they start getting momentum.

Started playing it, and it's a really fun game. I never played Metroid 1/2 (Just Super + the GBA ones), so I'm not terribly familiar with the source material, but I like what I've seen.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
All I can say is that I'm happy but also sad because Nintendo is likely to wipe it from the Internet.

Back it up!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow I never thought this project would ever see completion. I figured it would either get kiboshed by Nintendo or abandoned for other reasons.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ezekiel said:
They already did.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388
More redundancy is never a bad thing.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Ezekiel said:
They already did.

More redundancy is never a bad thing.
At least it hit after release, instead of before.

Everybody, keep those mirrors running.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Ezekiel said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
All I can say is that I'm happy but also sad because Nintendo is likely to wipe it from the Internet.

Back it up!
They already did.

The hosting site is still up. Either it's really Nintendo or some random ruining the fun.
All I know is the real danger is a C&D directly from Ninty will most certainly have the site annihilated.

So I implore any Metroid fans to SMASH THAT DOWNLOAD BUTTON ASAP. Games really fun for the 2 hours i've played it.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Ezekiel said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:

Back it up!
They already did.

The Metroid Database is a Metroid fansite that isn't directly tied to the AM2R developer, who as of yet hasn't received a DMCA or C&D.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Finally! I loved metroid 2 for a lot of reasons, but going back to it is painful. I have no idea how it managed to age worse than the first one but man did it ever. It'll be nice to play it in color with better graphics and hopefully controls, assuming Nintendo doesn't cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war on their asses.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Appearently this remake contains an opitional area that was never there in the original and has a secret boss:

Video of the boss:

What I thought of it:

Well that was unbelieveably dissipointing, I was expecting probably some huge Resident Evil looking abomination with tenticles, or perhaps a Metroid Prime, nope just some weird little baby shit called Genesis that is unbelieveable pathetic and easy to kill, I mean especially the athmosphere and build up to it way to jerk me off with something potentially scary yet cool

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I've never played the original Metroid 2, but I'm really digging this so far. It reminds me of Metroid: Zero Mission, which is a decidedly good thing.

I like how you aren't totally gimped at the beginning (Missiles, Long Beam and Morph Ball from the get-go) and how you get useful power-ups quickly. I've already obtained the Morph Bomb, Charge Shot, Spider Ball, two Energy Tanks and doubled my missile capacity after just 20 minutes of play.