Fan made Metroid 2 remake!?!

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
All DLs other than the torrent are down already, get it while you can. Doncha love how Nintendo constantly lies about how much they love their fans then responds to some of their biggest fans with legal threats and coppyright mafia horseshit? inB4 a Nintendo fan shows up to try and convince me that Big-N is totally justified and the evil basically-pirates who created AM2R are the real villains, because I have seen that argument from fans after past Nintendo coppywrongs.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
major_chaos said:
All DLs other than the torrent are down already, get it while you can. Doncha love how Nintendo constantly lies about how much they love their fans then responds to some of their biggest fans with legal threats and coppyright mafia horseshit? inB4 a Nintendo fan shows up to try and convince me that Big-N is totally justified and the evil basically-pirates who created AM2R are the real villains, because I have seen that argument from fans after past Nintendo coppywrongs.
Because it technically is no matter how you try to spin the guy who made the game as morally in the right.

He made this without the permission/blessing of Nintendo. And releasing it for free is just to lessen to severity of it.

And this is coming from someone who downloaded it and played it and thought....eh its rather same old same old. Like nothing special about Metroid 2 compared to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

This is just essentially Metroid Zero Mission on a new map.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Yeah, so Nintendo shut it down.

I can't help but feel like this does more harm than good. What can come of letting this fan project circulate freely, other than good and positive things?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Glongpre said:

I can't help but feel like this does more harm than good. What can come of letting this fan project circulate freely, other than good and positive things?
1. It takes away potential buyers of the game whose original version is avaliable to buy and download on the 3DS virtual console.

2. It was not done under their permission.

3. Their rights to that perticular Metroid game would be jepordized.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Glongpre said:

1. It takes away potential buyers of the game whose original version is avaliable to buy and download on the 3DS virtual console.

Money money money money money.

God forbid they do something to reward their fans.

Nope, gotta be as selfish and greedy as possible.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Unluckily for them, people are not stupid and as such, alternate downloads have already been prepped and can be found with a bit of searching, like on the am2r forums or so.
Glad I snagged it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Glongpre said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Glongpre said:

Oh please stop spouting such Marxist nonsense.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I just remembered something, there is a fan-made Earthbound sequel called Mother 4 made from the ground up, in the works, and Nintendo showed multiple times to be aware of it and did nothing to this day, sadly the makers of it are not receiving any compensation for it and they'll have to make it free when its ready.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
It's speculated that nintendo has known of this project for a while and let it flow free for a couple days to get it into circulation. This is due to how copyright laws work currently, where if they allowed am2r to exist that others could abuse this as a loophole to utilize nintendo properties without nintendos direct permission. If anyone needs it, torrents are up as are Google drives.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
major_chaos said:
Because it technically is no matter how you try to spin the guy who made the game as morally in the right.

He made this without the permission/blessing of Nintendo. And releasing it for free is just to lessen to severity of it.

And this is coming from someone who downloaded it and played it and thought....eh its rather same old same old. Like nothing special about Metroid 2 compared to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime.

It isn't illigal to create fan made works on a non commercial license. They essentially made fanfiction, using their own assets and music. If what, it might attract potential buyers by expanding the community fanbase.

Personally, I'm glad I got my hands on it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Level 7 Dragon said:
Samtemdo8 said:
major_chaos said:

It isn't illigal to create fan made works on a non commercial license. They essentially made fanfiction, using their own assets and music. If what, it might attract potential buyers by expanding the community fanbase.

Personally, I'm glad I got my hands on it.
A Fanbase community that is already there and already large thanks to games like Metroid Prime.

There is nothing this game would do to expand the community than it already did.

And again I barely call it fanfiction since its basically a near recreation of the original game.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Cool, Metroid 2 was never my favourite Metroid game but the remake seems to do a great job with it as Zero Mission did to the original. Kudos to the creator, shame Nintendo has to be Nintendo. Nasty catch 22 work hard on a remake to game in series you love but as soon it gets any attention it will get shut down. It's a shame companies aren't more open to this kind of thing. I mean I get why they aren't, protecting trademarks and all that. Even granting a license/permission to one fan project would open the floodgates for every fan project to request the same. Saying nothing about how the content/quality of an endorsed a fan project could reflect on the company. Still sucks though, stupid reality.

But at least it got finished and released into the wild before they could shut it down, so the guys work can still be enjoyed.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Cool, Metroid 2 was never my favourite Metroid game but the remake seems to do a great job with it as Zero Mission did to the original. Kudos to the creator, shame Nintendo has to be Nintendo. Nasty catch 22 work hard on a remake to game in series you love but as soon it gets any attention it will get shut down. It's a shame companies aren't more open to this kind of thing. I mean I get why they aren't, protecting trademarks and all that. Even granting a license/permission to one fan project would open the floodgates for every fan project to request the same. Saying nothing about how the content/quality of an endorsed a fan project could reflect on the company. Still sucks though, stupid reality.

But at least it got finished and released into the wild before they could shut it down, so the guys work can still be enjoyed.
Yeah, and if practically anyone who had the game hadn't then seeded torrents after hearing about the C&D (if they hadn't already been seeding it), this might have actually caused an issue.

Ever hear of the term 'pissing into a breeze'? How about 'The Streisand effect'?

Nice going Big N; you certainly accomplished nothing at all, didn't you?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Cap said:
Nice going Big N; you certainly accomplished nothing at all, didn't you?
You know, it's funny. They could've bought it from them and then promptly made a mint.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Glongpre said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Glongpre said:

Oh please stop spouting such Marxist nonsense.

Lol that's what I was thinking. Then I also got to thinking that this argument about the ethics of content ownership, sharing, piracy, etc.has gone on for so many years now without seemingly any concrete resolution, and was curious if anyone out there has tried distilling it in a way that even the most bullheaded piracy pundits could at least acknowledge, if not outright agree with.

This seems to be the best answer I've found so far -

https://thetrichordist.com/2012/04/17/the-real-issue-of-online-piracy/

Basically, if we lived in a perfect world where life didn't revolve around the need for money and the management of both tangible and intangible resources, it would be no big deal. But we don't live in that world.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Glongpre said:

While greed might be a motivating factor for all the magical ticks and leeches exploiting somebody else's work on, say, YouTube for easy and quick monetization, copyright law, as brought to us by US-American law leaves hardly any leeway for being amicable and nice.

As it currently stands, if you fail to defend/protect your IP, you will lose your rights to said IP. And I seriously doubt Nintendo would ever consider letting the Metroid brand fall into the portfolio of some seedy and ruthless patent squatter.

That said, I've downloaded the game and enjoy it greatly. I wish we'd see more like this, I'd even throw some of my disposable capitalist shekels at it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Glongpre said:
While greed might be a motivating factor for all the magical ticks and leeches exploiting somebody else's work on, say, YouTube for easy and quick monetization, copyright law, as brought to us by US-American law leaves hardly any leeway for being amicable and nice.
Are you talking about Let's Players or people like Jim Sterling sterring up hate controversy to anything in the AAA buisness.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Glongpre said:
Are you talking about Let's Players or people like Jim Sterling sterring up hate controversy to anything in the AAA buisness.
Neither, I think. Unless I'm mistaken, he/she is referring to how people would make a fake content ID claim on YouTube, which for a long time moved any revenue gained from advertising to the claimant until the claim was resolved. Usually it would be determined to be fake, but the person who posted the video lost out on any money that would have been gained during that period while the claimant received that money and had to do nothing but click a few buttons. I believe that has finally been changed and the funds are held aside until the claim is resolved, with the funds going to the party that wins the claim.