Fan Made Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoon Gets A Trailer

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I miss the days when Sonic was still cool. I'd watch this provided it doesn't have any of the stupid characters in it like the fat cat, the emo or the indescribably retarded crocodile.

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
Tempest Fennac said:
S-Unleashed said:
Um it was good. So who are the other dudes? Eggman looks kinda werid.
The other characters were from Sonic Sat AM/the Archie comics (the rabbit with the robotic limbs was named Bunnie Rabbot and the squirrel at the end was Sally Acorn). They never featured in any games excluding a brief cameo in the first Sonic Spinball special stage and a couple of games which were scrapped ( http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Mars and http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic-16 ).
Thanks for that. I took a look a t the comics and F***ing love them! The Freedom fighters are A OK in my book. Just not the french guy.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
SuperMse said:
tsb247 said:
SuperMse said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Yes, it lacks vocal work, and some of the background animation is a bit rudimentary, but otherwise this trailer looks as good, if not better than any of the official Sonic cartoons Sega has authorized throughout the years. The "10 months of development" that went into this thing definitely shows.

Casual Shinji said:
This is a prime example of everything that I hate about today's 2D animation.
Everyone knows this is obviously based on SatAm [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(TV_series)], right?
I'm actually glad to see that it is. That was a great show, and I remember being really sad when it was cancelled back in 1994 (I think). Anyone who watched it (as I did) knows that the series ended on the mother of all cliff-hangers. I'm glad to see it being picked up again. Will it begin where the original show left off? Who knows? At any rate, I am glad that there is still some life in Sonic. It's not like Sega, Nintendo, and anyone else who has made a Sonic game within the last 3 years has done the little blue badass any favors. Yhatzee has said it pretty well, and I am glad the fans are attempting to right the wrongs.

What can I say? I grew up in front of a Sega Genesis, and I followed the SatAM series religiously when I was a kid.
I also think SatAm was a pretty good show. I'm simply saying that the trailer looks so similar to SatAm that one cannot necessarily claim that it looks better than it, and that any problems with it are also indicative of the problems of 90's animation as well.
Oh, I agree completely. One can hardly say that the animation is better in any way. However, considering that the producers of this little spin-off probably have fairly limited resources, I think they have done quite well so far.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
S-Unleashed said:
The fact that you know him as, "Eggman," is kinda sad. Really, Sonic was better in the good 'ol days of Dr. Robotnik.

clericwithnolife31

Sep 16, 2009
really no point in having the princess in the trailer, stick to the roots of tails and sonic. otherwise a decent trailer from someone with to much time

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
N
tsb247 said:
S-Unleashed said:
The fact that you know him as, "Eggman," is kinda sad. Really, Sonic was better in the good 'ol days of Dr. Robotnik.
Um sorry to brust your nostallga buble, but his name in Japen before the US got it and made a cartoon was Dr. Ivo Eggman. Robotnik was the USA name.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
S-Unleashed said:
N
tsb247 said:
S-Unleashed said:
Um sorry to brust your nostallga buble, but his name in Japen before the US got it and made a cartoon was Dr. Ivo Eggman. Robotnik was the USA name.
Whatever the case may be, I find it hard to respect a villain called, "Eggman." Robotnik just sounds more sinister. Besides, it is agreed upon that his real name is meant to be Robotnik while 'Eggman' is more of a nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Eggman

Look under 'Concept and Inspiration'

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
tsb247 said:
S-Unleashed said:
N
tsb247 said:
S-Unleashed said:
Whatever the case may be, I find it hard to respect a villain called, "Eggman." Robotnik just sounds more sinister. Besides, it is agreed upon that his real name is meant to be Robotnik while 'Eggman' is more of a nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Eggman

Look under 'Concept and Inspiration'
Sorry but Eggman is what I'll stick with. Robotnik make me think of Ro-BUTT-nic.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
There USED to be Sonic the Hedgehog fans, now it's just one guy in his basement making flash animations.

Anyway, I used to be a Sonic Fan a long time ago and I'm surpised that they seem to have used the cast of characters from the TV show including that Fox who's a princess or something and related to tales somehow. I can't remember her name but I thought she was an unpopular character.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
This looks like a flash animation. Like something you'd see on Newgrounds. I doubt Sega wold do anything over a Newgrounds animation seeing as how there's hundreds of them on there already.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
CD-R said:
This looks like a flash animation. Like something you'd see on Newgrounds. I doubt Sega wold do anything over a Newgrounds animation seeing as how there's hundreds of them on there already.
You'd be surprised how many of actually good animated series are animated in Flash. It's all a matter of how the animators use it. Of course, the vast...VAST majority of things animated in Flash are absolutely abhorrent, television shows included.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Having come across this, by browsing through the forums, I looked at it, remembering that I was one of the few people who spoke up in favour for the development team when this was all just a concept at best I realise a Trailer doesn't really do too much justice for these kind of projects and at it's core, maybe it's poorly paced and lacking in loads of places because they don't want to draw attention and get sued. But I doubt it.

What's truly astounding is this warrants attention over much more desvering fan-made videogame based projects.

For sake of example, MGS: Philanthropy, sure it's hit and miss with the dubbing and the writing occasionally seems lacking, but the production value alone I feel redeems it for something that is a simple non-profit fan project.

There was also that "Trailer/preview" of a bunch of guys toying with the idea of making a Halflife fan movie that also looked fantastic.

This, however, like many people before me have said, is a sub-par "newgrounds quality" animation with fairly typical cheesey music, no sound effects and little to no background animation.

Going beyond that, it's about SONIC, a character that thanks to SEGA's inability to recognise that their mascot is over the hill and not gonna be better if you staple things to his hands, has grown incredibly stale in the audience's eyes and most would rather just see him fade into a distant memory.

Not impressed, is Archemetis.