Fan Project to get Breath of the Wild Running on PC Makes Major Progress

Sep 14, 2009
altnameJag said:
gmaverick019 said:
altnameJag said:
That's a bit like saying Tv stations shouldn't have exclusive rights to the content they produce. Not sure how that would work out.
they have rights to it, just like any publisher has rights to the game they produce, however, most st stations distribute their shows to other networks/streaming services after the initial run time. Hulu lives and thrives off of that.
Yeah, and Hulu pays for the privilege. If Sony or Microsoft payed Nintendo enough, they could have the same privileges too, but they don't.
falloutJack already said exactly what I was going to say, so I'm just an echo to that at this point.

we can go back and forth here on that for quite a long time, my point is, forced exclusiveness for video games is stupid, especially since we've gotten out of the 90's where hardware was fickle as fuck.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
altnameJag said:
Well you see, it IS a problem. Back in the day, Oddworld Inhabitants totally disappointed me by going from multisystem to only Microsoft. Well, I didn't HAVE the requisite system, so not only was I disappointed in Oddworld, I was angry with Microfost for stealing them away.

Years later, due to having to work to the contract of Microsoft and whatever THEY wanted, Oddworld saw very little real development to the series. They'd planned a massive quintology, exploring this strange and unique world, with a new main character each time. They could not fulfill that dream.

Don't tell me a game doesn't exist without Nintendo. Tell me a game does not exist without the developer, and the developer can get money from any source, not just one. So, with respect, Maverick has a point.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Its going to be purged as fast as Nintendo can do it. Unlike Uranium however, I don't care about Zelda much so I won't be scrambling to get a hold of it before it scatters to the winds.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
So this means i can use a ps4 emulator to play horizon zero dawn because i don't want a to pay for a playstation 4 and i think it is unfair that sony holds a monopoly on the game. Good to know

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
jayzz911 said:
immortalfrieza said:
The insane thing with this is whether there's a single person on the planet who uses this emulator to pirate Breath of the Wild or any other game or not that emulating the game is even needed in the first place. Breath of the Wild and every other exclusive game should just be available on PC and multiple platforms aside from Nintendo ones to purchase and run legally as a matter of course to begin with. Monopolies are supposed to be illegal in the US and plenty of other countries yet blatant examples are everywhere, not just with exclusive video games.
You either don't understand what a monopoly is or are interested in bending that definition so incredibly far that it might as well not exist. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft having their own marketplace is not the same as them owning the entire gaming market. What you are saying is that Walmart shouldn't be able to decide what it sells just because it owns the store and that the person selling the item shouldn't be able to decide on which retailer they want to sell to.
I know perfectly well what a monopoly is. If only one company is able to produce and sell a product, regardless of how many retail outfits they use to distribute it, it's a monopoly. "Video Games" are not the product, exclusive video games like Breath of the Wild are the product. If Nintendo is the only one allowed to produce and sell Breath of the Wild and only the consoles they sell are able to run it, they have a monopoly upon Breath of the Wild, and upon the console functionality required to run it. If Sony and Microsoft and some other PC developer were also allowed to produce and sell Breath of the Wild and their consoles could run it, even if they had to kick back most of the profits to Nintendo, the functionality is terrible, the graphics are worse or whatever, it wouldn't be a monopoly, and the same is true of every other exclusive game.
So if I write a Comic Book and decide to self publish it on my own website for my own profit, by your words I have a monopoly and should be forced to allow DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, and Archie to also publish and sell my works. Likewise, I should be allowed to produce and sell Spiderman comics because Marvel can't have a monopoly on Spiderman after all. While we're at it, Coke should go ahead and send me the formula to their secret recipe, because I plan to open my own soda brand and I would like to sell Coke with it. Can't let them have a monopoly on coke. Need to also get into contact with HBO. I think Game of Thrones would fit in perfectly on the TV network I run from my basement.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Did something change in the recent past, as I was under the impression that the Escapist didn't condone piracy?
Before screaming 'Piracy!' please state clearly where this piracy is.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Emulation is not piracy. It can easily be used for piracy, but the act of emulation is not piracy.

If you take the BIOS from your own console and use the games you bought, then you did nothing wrong. It is not piracy.

It is when someone uses emulation as a tool for free stuff that it enter the realm of piracy. That is the point where I refuse to support it.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
NLS said:
Yeah no, I'm gonna have to say "Too soon". Say what you want about keeping copies, having your 10 year old console break down or convenience. The Switch hasn't been out for a month yet, and all you'd ever need this for at the moment is 99% piracy. Call me in a few years when the Switch or it's games aren't available anymore, or the HDMI output isn't "good enough" for 8K displays, but right now there is a perfectly good way to enjoy these games, and that's right there on the Switch itself.
CEMU emulates WiiU, not Switch, and it fully supports original copies bought in the store.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Randomosity said:
So if I write a Comic Book and decide to self publish it on my own website for my own profit, by your words I have a monopoly and should be forced to allow DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, and Archie to also publish and sell my works. Likewise, I should be allowed to produce and sell Spiderman comics because Marvel can't have a monopoly on Spiderman after all. While we're at it, Coke should go ahead and send me the formula to their secret recipe, because I plan to open my own soda brand and I would like to sell Coke with it. Can't let them have a monopoly on coke. Need to also get into contact with HBO. I think Game of Thrones would fit in perfectly on the TV network I run from my basement.
Whenever the production and distribution of any product is under the sole control of ONE company it is a monopoly, regardless of who, why, or how significant the product is. Monopolies are all over the place, using technicalities to weasel their way out of being called that but people in general don't notice or care about them because they've always been that way, that doesn't mean they aren't bad or aren't monopolies. A lack of competition leads to exploitation, and that's exactly what exclusives are, companies using the fact that they have sole control over those video games to force their customers to get it from them and the equipment required to run it no matter how much they get screwed over to do it.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Randomosity said:
Whenever the production and distribution of any product is under the sole control of ONE company it is a monopoly, regardless of who, why, or how significant the product is. Monopolies are all over the place, using technicalities to weasel their way out of being called that but people in general don't notice or care about them because they've always been that way, that doesn't mean they aren't bad or aren't monopolies. A lack of competition leads to exploitation, and that's exactly what exclusives are, companies using the fact that they have sole control over those video games to force their customers to get it from them and the equipment required to run it no matter how much they get screwed over to do it.
The production and distribution of almost any consumer product is under the control of a sole company. This is not a monopoly, this is capitalism. Disney has complete control over all production and distribution of Disney brands. Coke, Remington, Apple, Blizzard, Nike, Armani, Rolex, etc. This is the reason Copyright and Trademark law exists. If anyone can produce and distribute any product, then effectively no one owns any brands. No one can defend their brands, and ultimately no one can actually make money off of the properties and ideas they make.

This is worse for the little guy. Anything he could possibly create could be made faster and cheaper by bigger companies. If I make and release an indie game on my own dime, I should own the rights to it, and the right to sell it how and where I choose. If I don't have that right, Valve could just as easily slap it on Steam and claim they have distribution rights and make money off of my work and idea without my concent.

Save for basic commodities like milk, oil, etc, every item is exclusive on some level. It all needs to be created or manufactured by someone and distributed by someone, and there is someone at the beginning of the line who decides who can distribute and produce their idea. Shoe stores have to buy their stock directly from Nike, or Sketchers, or Vans. Even if you can find the same product at Walmart, Target, or Gamestop, they all get it from the same source. EA is the only one allowed to produce and distribute their games.

The market works by brands competing. If you suddenly make it to where you can simply steal the competing brands, you're more likely to reduce competition and make it far worse on the end consumer.