Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

If the rumors that Sony may be re-releasing a remastered HD bundle of PS2 classics Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are true, it could look something like this.

Last week, we heard rumors that Sony could be planning The Last Guardian [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100929-Rumor-HD-Ico-and-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-Coming-In-2011].

While the story remains a rumor (even if it's one that we really, really, really want to be true), the tech gurus at Eurogamer's Digital Foundry decided to previously done something similar with God of War [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-emulated-in-hd] in advance of the HD re-release, and came away with results that looked pretty darn close to the actual thing.

While the emulation they use still has "some way to go," and a lot of the techie-talk is over my head, all you have to know is that the results make the already gorgeous Colossus [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=16438] looks a lot better when running on hardware that can actually support a consistent 30 FPS instead of the 15-20 FPS it managed on the PS2.

Foundry's results also reveal that even the decade-old art in Ico might not need to be replaced with something that doesn't look like crap in HD - the core art "is more than up to the task at hand."

Make this happen, Sony. Pretty please?

(Digital Foundry [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus-emulated-in-hd])

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I have still not played Shadow of the Colossus, but it looks amazing, and I would love to play an HD version.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Strangely, while a curiosity... I'm not hugely excited by this one.

Oh I might well buy the remake if it does get made and released, but.. somehow I'm concerned that the HD upgrade will impair the vague, ghostly, dreamy quality these games had. But yeah, not massively excited for that reason, though I'll buy them in the hope I get proved wrong should it happen.

EDIT: Hey, someone else said the same thing first XD

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I wish these games could come out on the 360 or the Wii. I don't want to buy a Playstation 2 or 3 just for these two games. Although, it is damned tempting to find a dirt cheap PS2 in order to play Colossus at least.

Would be cool for you PS3 owners if these games came out in HD at least. Hope it happens.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Fensfield said:
Strangely, while a curiosity... I'm not hugely excited by this one.

Oh I might well buy the remake if it does get made and released, but.. somehow I'm concerned that the HD upgrade will impair the vague, ghostly, dreamy quality these games had. But yeah, not massively excited for that reason, though I'll buy them in the hope I get proved wrong should it happen.

EDIT: Hey, someone else said the same thing first XD
cabalistics said:
I does look pretty nice but it being sharper maybe takes away some of the vaguely dreamlike feeling of both games
Hahah, I was about to post the same thing. This is only a 'fan' render and I guess if they go through with it then they'd take more care to ensure the dream like graphics.

If not, I think I'd rather play the originals.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
I really, really want to play those games, but alas, I am without a PS2. If they were to be released on either the Xbox 360, or the PC, I would sure be a happy chappy.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I like it.

ICO had some really extreme effects on the intro sequence so the original looked better towards the end than the HD version.

Yorda looks so much better with sharper lines and higher contrast black and white colours.

They could do with some higher resolution textures if they did a remake but the original textures are not bad.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
I absolutely want this to happen!
I loved SotC b ut Ico is still on my list. I'd adore them in HD!!

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
God, I seriously want to punch myself for having never played these games before! Both versions look stunning.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
It isn't just PS2 games; PS1 titles can look really remarkable with dedicated fans:

link141

Aug 5, 2009
I got excited when I read this, then I remembered that I have everything but a PS3.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Thank god. I was about to trade the devil my left nut. He's smaller, sure, but I would've missed him just the same.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Oh god I want Shadow of the Colossus for the PS3.

Although I'd probably just spend the time running around on the platform for the third colossus admiring the view.

Man I love that fight.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Wind Waker in HD also looks amazing.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Image-Gallery.php?level=album&id=118

How many HD console games look half as good as that?

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I would buy Ico, Shadow of the Colosseus, and The Last Guardian all at once and run around GameStop laughing like a madman.

Seriously, I need these games, BAD.