Fan Renders Ico & Shadow of the Colossus In HD

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
u bet this is a pre-order item for me when its announced!

refuses to believe it will just stay a rumor! la la la la

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Treblaine said:
But another thing the emulator (or possible HD re-release) would solve is the atrocious framerate in both games.

Now even if you are of the opinion that high fidelity graphics don't matter and gameplay is paramount, well a low framerate UTTERLY CRIPPLES gameplay, as even though 15-20 frames/sec may give the illusion of motion it is incredibly laggy, stiff and unresponsive, you basically have to plan each action a second in advance. Even simple platforming becomes a chore.

Playing games at 60fps vs sub-30 fps is like the difference between driving an F1 Racer and driving a bulldozer.
I've never had that much of a problem with the frame rate of atleast SoTC. I can remeber that with Ico the frame rate could be a bit choppy, but with SoTC they must've programed something to smoothen it out, so that eventhough the frame rate was still low, it was easy on the eyes.

But after having played SoTC on my PS3 with progressive scan, there's no way I'm ever playing it on the PS2 again...unless my 60gig breaks down. *prays to God* It looks 5 times crisper and the frame rate got a little boost aswell. I just wouldn't want the visual style to suffer if they are remasterd them. Point in case; MGS Twin Snakes.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
God. Damn. God. Freakin'. Damn.

So, the wife is thinking she may want to get a PS3, and then if Ico and SotC HD do see the light of day and look something like that, well, yeah.

I think I may have to schedule another 10 hours of work a day in...

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Image looked really nice. I'd rebuy both games. Because I love them both. :3

I still need to buy the OSTs in fact.

Anyways, for those umm...gamers that haven't played ICO OR SotC? Whatever is priding you from picking up a PS2 and buying one of the two is seriously hurting your gaming experience. Enough so where I'd say you're wasting some very valuable memories. In every form of media, there are things that you just shouldn't be proud of. It's like coming to a bunch of artists and telling them you've NEVER seen ANY images of the Mona Lisa. On purpose! Even though it's highly valued in that society. It's facepalm worthy. Both Team ICO games are like this. It's been years now, stop playing the games you'll forget about anyways for a few seconds and play the games people are STILL talking about!

Meanwhile, I better hop to the whole Neon Genesis anime, because apparently I'm in the whole "facepalm worthy" part of the Anime-universe for not seeing it yet.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Has anyone played these on a PS3. The launch PS3's up-scaled and smoothed the graphics on old PS2 games.

Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
(Yes this is real and coming out)
Right after Duke Nukem Forever

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Oh aye, DO WANT.
So many memories of Shadow... I have shadow of the colossus right now and I was going to play it again until I heard it might come out of Ps3. I'm holding out for it now, and I'd really love to see what Ico was all about, I missed out on that one...

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
If they did remake them it would be awesome for all the PS3 owners, but as an xbox owner i'd STILL be missing out on a game i've wanted to play for years.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
vf501 said:
I call bullshit on Digital Foundry making ICO and SotC running in HD, they did squat except load up PCSX2 and the game DVD. The team over at PCSX2.net is responsible for the PC emulation that does the upped resolution videos and images you see there. Even FFX, Metal Gear Solid2/3, and Kingdom Hearts look much better in Higher resolutions.

Read both the Eurogamer articles John linked, all DF did was use PCSX2.

A good 3.0Ghz Dual or Quad Core + a 9800GT/ATI 4770 or better and you can run PCSX2 at full speeds.
Exactly the PCx2 team did all the work, DF is just stealing the praise.
I should try some other ps2 games i got on the pc, to bad you can't port ps2 savegames from memorycard to pc without new hardware^^

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Treblaine said:
But another thing the emulator (or possible HD re-release) would solve is the atrocious framerate in both games.

Now even if you are of the opinion that high fidelity graphics don't matter and gameplay is paramount, well a low framerate UTTERLY CRIPPLES gameplay, as even though 15-20 frames/sec may give the illusion of motion it is incredibly laggy, stiff and unresponsive, you basically have to plan each action a second in advance. Even simple platforming becomes a chore.

Playing games at 60fps vs sub-30 fps is like the difference between driving an F1 Racer and driving a bulldozer.
I've never had that much of a problem with the frame rate of atleast SoTC. I can remeber that with Ico the frame rate could be a bit choppy, but with SoTC they must've programed something to smoothen it out, so that eventhough the frame rate was still low, it was easy on the eyes.

But after having played SoTC on my PS3 with progressive scan, there's no way I'm ever playing it on the PS2 again...unless my 60gig breaks down. *prays to God* It looks 5 times crisper and the frame rate got a little boost aswell. I just wouldn't want the visual style to suffer if they are remasterd them. Point in case; MGS Twin Snakes.
Trust me... 60fps is something so many console gamers are denied but when you experience it You will know the difference. Before i got into PC gaming I have to admit I had no idea what I was missing out on.

For example I played Quake 2 on my laptop recently, there was a bug causing it to slow down to 15-30 FPS. The game was just frustrating to play, overall a negative experience. Then I realised what I was doing wrong and set it to 60fps... WOW. It was like a completely different game, so smooth and responsive.

Also MGS: Twin Snakes was a completely different type of remake. It was literally made again, re-made. Start from scratch.

In fact, I wish the OP and DF would STOP talking about a "HD Remakes" as that is NOT what is being proposes, simply a HD RE-RELEASE. I think a more appropriate term is "HD Remastered Release" as people are familiar with that term from DVD releases, they know that it (should) be all the same with no changes to what actually happens is there... it's just a lot clearer.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
GiantRedButton said:
vf501 said:
I call bullshit on Digital Foundry making ICO and SotC running in HD, they did squat except load up PCSX2 and the game DVD. The team over at PCSX2.net is responsible for the PC emulation that does the upped resolution videos and images you see there. Even FFX, Metal Gear Solid2/3, and Kingdom Hearts look much better in Higher resolutions.

A good 3.0Ghz Dual or Quad Core + a 9800GT/ATI 4770 or better and you can run PCSX2 at full speeds.
I should try some other ps2 games i got on the pc, to bad you can't port ps2 savegames from memorycard to pc without new hardware^^
err, I'm pretty sure the article EXPLICITLY mentioned they were using their own emulation software, they said SEVERAL TIMES how they were hanging off developments made by PSx2

vf501

Oct 20, 2008
Treblaine said:
GiantRedButton said:
vf501 said:

err, I'm pretty sure the article EXPLICITLY mentioned they were using their own emulation software, they said SEVERAL TIMES how they were hanging off developments made by PSx2
Err. No. Read the ICO article, they never mention any changes they made at all. The changes they talk about are what the Dev Team behind ICO did between ICO and SotC. And even if they did tweak a few DX9/10 code strings in the PCSX gfx plugin or made adjustments to the PCSX2 core code, the main work was still done by the PCSX2 team who should be mentioned in John's article. At least the DF article mentions the creators and how close they are to perfect PS2 emultation.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
vf501 said:
Treblaine said:
GiantRedButton said:
vf501 said:

Err. No. Read the ICO article, they never mention any changes they made at all. The changes they talk about are what the Dev Team behind ICO did between ICO and SotC. And even if they did tweak a few DX9/10 code strings in the PCSX gfx plugin or made adjustments to the PCSX2 core code, the main work was still done by the PCSX2 team who should be mentioned in John's article. At least the DF article mentions the creators and how close they are to perfect PS2 emultation.
Oh you're talking about John funks article? Oh, well that's completely different, we all know Our John. He's always played fast and loose with the facts of the matter as all journalists do to make a snappy story. To be honest I've thought him a bit funny since he defended Activation's exclusion of Dedicated Servers in Modern Warfare 2.

I've never approved of this like selective fact inclusion in journalism but I see it so often I ignore it and skip straight to the source, in this case DF's article which did an in depth analysis of the emulators' progress and gave their expert opinion on the PLAUSIBILITY of an official HD Re-release. It wasn't really an ode to their work, per se.

taking another look, there are a bit too many degrees of separation here; from the original Sony developers, to the emulator team plugins (and all the various contributors), to Digital Foundry, to Escapist magazine's coverage.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Has anyone played these on a PS3. The launch PS3's up-scaled and smoothed the graphics on old PS2 games.

Its a fan made mod and should be out in several months. Look on the site its real.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
thenumberthirteen said:

Its a fan made mod and should be out in several months. Look on the site its real.
I know, but they've been at it for ages, and they said it would be done last year.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
I know, but they've been at it for ages, and they said it would be done last year.
I think they're having a munny problem.

Edit: (Thats a MGS collab refference for those who have seen it)

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Man I hated Ico. I couldn't stand that idiot girl, just made it frustrating. I don't care if it is "art", that shouldn't make it an arse to play

Domou

Dec 3, 2008
This just made buying my Ps3 worth it. SotC is still on my top games list after all this time. <3 Please please please make this happen, someone...

berault

Nov 5, 2009
Hubilub said:
Oh god I want Shadow of the Colossus for the PS3.

Although I'd probably just spend the time running around on the platform for the third colossus admiring the view.

Man I love that fight.

By far my favorite colossus fight!

If this does happen, God has been listening to my prayers.