Fan theories you firmly believe in

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Jonluw said:
Okay, here's the pitch:
The blades of a fan are all angled so that their cross-section is diagonal to the plane of rotation. When the blades then are set to rotate, they will need to push air out of their way in order to be able to rotate. The angling of the blades ensures that the air is pushed in a pre-determined direction instead of just randomly being shoved around.
Thus a wind is created, flowing out from the front of the fan.
Bravo, bravo. I would give you some cookies, but, alas, it is currently physically impossible to transport objects through the internet.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
VeryOddGamer said:
Bravo, bravo. I would give you some cookies, but, alas, it is currently physically impossible to transport objects through the internet.

[sub]Thank you, thank you[/sub]​

Fixed the video for you by the way.
When embedding youtube videos, you need to write the code like this:
Code:
[color=black][[/color]youtube=QhTiJEYqqY8]
Those random letters being the video i.d. behind 'v=' in the url.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
canadamus_prime said:
Umm... I hate to say it, but all that makes even less sense than what happened in the Prequel Trilogy. Esp. this part:
Anakin LITERALLY dies in combat, he is dead, but he is resurrected and rebuilt with machines by The Emperor, he is only able to keep living in a zombie cyborg state with The Emperor's power over the force prolonging his life. If Anakin defies the emperor he dooms himself. Darth Vader is a deep-cover personality that Anakin Skywalker adopts to infiltrate the Clone hierarchy. He goes a bit Jack Bauer, doing awful things as he sees it is necessary to stop worse things happening.
This is why I usually take fan theories with a whole ocean's worth of salt. Theories that I didn't conceive of myself and aren't contradicted by established canon that is.
Well it at least explains why at end of Return of the Jedi that Vader dies after being shocked just for a few seconds by The Emperor yet Luke walks away relatively all right after minutes of extended lighting shocking. You know the "help me take this mask off", "but you'll die", "nothing can prevent that now", as The Emperor's power was the only thing keeping Vader/Anakin alive.

The adopting a persona as a cover makes it a lot easier to get into an alternate evil role than just "I had a bad dream about my wife, OK evil Sith I'll be your slave and adopt this blatantly evil sounding name and I'll very quickly forget why I agreed to all this".

The Jack Bauer "do anything it takes" root to torturing and imprisoning people makes a lot more sense than being tricked into doing it for 30 years by a sith and immediately going to murder hundreds of small children and all your friends and colleageus only to end up force choking your pregnant wife anyway.
Or the Force Lightning could've just short circuited his life support system.

Of course both explanations seem contradictory to what we know of the Sith.

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Jonluw said:
Fixed the video for you by the way.
When embedding youtube videos, you need to write the code like this:
Code:
[color=black][[/color]youtube=QhTiJEYqqY8]
Those random letters being the video i.d. behind 'v=' in the url.
Goddamnit, I always get it wrong. I hope I'll remember it this time.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Treblaine said:
canadamus_prime said:
Umm... I hate to say it, but all that makes even less sense than what happened in the Prequel Trilogy. Esp. this part:
Anakin LITERALLY dies in combat, he is dead, but he is resurrected and rebuilt with machines by The Emperor, he is only able to keep living in a zombie cyborg state with The Emperor's power over the force prolonging his life. If Anakin defies the emperor he dooms himself. Darth Vader is a deep-cover personality that Anakin Skywalker adopts to infiltrate the Clone hierarchy. He goes a bit Jack Bauer, doing awful things as he sees it is necessary to stop worse things happening.
This is why I usually take fan theories with a whole ocean's worth of salt. Theories that I didn't conceive of myself and aren't contradicted by established canon that is.
Well it at least explains why at end of Return of the Jedi that Vader dies after being shocked just for a few seconds by The Emperor yet Luke walks away relatively all right after minutes of extended lighting shocking. You know the "help me take this mask off", "but you'll die", "nothing can prevent that now", as The Emperor's power was the only thing keeping Vader/Anakin alive.

The adopting a persona as a cover makes it a lot easier to get into an alternate evil role than just "I had a bad dream about my wife, OK evil Sith I'll be your slave and adopt this blatantly evil sounding name and I'll very quickly forget why I agreed to all this".

The Jack Bauer "do anything it takes" root to torturing and imprisoning people makes a lot more sense than being tricked into doing it for 30 years by a sith and immediately going to murder hundreds of small children and all your friends and colleageus only to end up force choking your pregnant wife anyway.

I never thought it was the lighting that finished off Vader, because Luke's robotic hand kept working fine after far longer shocking and so did Vader's respirator keep cycling and his robotic limbs kept moving. Vader was more than a cyborg, he looked like the living dead under his mask: deathly white, and bald with pustulous growths.

I think it is in fitting with what kind of powers the Sith have as being like evil wizards, voodoo like resurrection into a zombie like existence is a very necromancer thing to do, and it adds to why Anakin - who was supposed to have been a good person - would submit to being a slave to an evil person like Emperor Palpatine. It's a lot easier to be seduced to the dark side if the alternative is succumbing to death.

I think this is why Vader refused to consider turning on his master, not that he was worried he'd get zapped a tiny bit before he off'd him, but that if he dies at all or simply defies him then he is doomed as well. To me it fits poetically that Vader would give up his eternal life to save his son.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
canadamus_prime said:
Treblaine said:
canadamus_prime said:

I never thought it was the lighting that finished off Vader, because Luke's robotic hand kept working fine after far longer shocking and so did Vader's respirator keep cycling and his robotic limbs kept moving. Vader was more than a cyborg, he looked like the living dead under his mask: deathly white, and bald with pustulous growths.

I think it is in fitting with what kind of powers the Sith have as being like evil wizards, voodoo like resurrection into a zombie like existence is a very necromancer thing to do, and it adds to why Anakin - who was supposed to have been a good person - would submit to being a slave to an evil person like Emperor Palpatine. It's a lot easier to be seduced to the dark side if the alternative is succumbing to death.

I think this is why Vader refused to consider turning on his master, not that he was worried he'd get zapped a tiny bit before he off'd him, but that if he dies at all or simply defies him then he is doomed as well. To me it fits poetically that Vader would give up his eternal life to save his son.
Except that the Sith usually don't have any time for those they consider weak. If Anakin were to to die, or in the case of the prequel trilogy, lose to Obi-Won, that would make him look weak, so if Palpatine behaved like a typical Sith then he'd have washed his hands of him after that. ...or at least that's what I would've expected him to do.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
That Jenova was controlling Sephiroth and not the other way around. Because even with Crisis Core to expand on it, I don't see how Sephiroth snapped the way he did or how Sephiroth was able to bring an ancient world-eating parasite into submission when every other person with Jenova cells can be mind-controlled through them. I don't care if Word of God contradicts it, because who was in control is never vital to the story.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Except that the Sith usually don't have any time for those they consider weak. If Anakin were to to die, or in the case of the prequel trilogy, lose to Obi-Won, that would make him look weak, so if Palpatine behaved like a typical Sith then he'd have washed his hands of him after that. ...or at least that's what I would've expected him to do.
No, the Sith value strength in themselves but their selfishness exploits and seeks out weakness in others.

Palpatine as a Sith would of course want to keep a loyal slave like Darth Vader, utterly loyal and ruthless in carrying out the busy work of maintaining an empire while he can lord it up not having to worry about the triviality of running security operations for the Death Star. Yet no so powerful that he could challenge him.

If Palpatine found that Anakin was without match in combat and became a close ally as Darth Vader, he might just have him bumped off so that he wouldn't be worried about him challenging him an beating him in combat.

PS: I still don't consider the prequel trilogy, I don't know how Anakin would end up a half-dead cyborg but not in a fight with Obi Wan. It could be a clone attack that kills his wife (Mother of Luke and Leia) and leaves Anakin almost dead, he is twisted by anger and his loss he agrees to become Palpatine's servant as Darth Vader as long as he can avenge the death of his wife.

Anakin chooses the path of vengeance, extremism and totalitarianism. A ceaseless drive to destroy all the enemies of the empire.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Treblaine said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, the Sith value strength in themselves but their selfishness exploits and seeks out weakness in others.

Palpatine as a Sith would of course want to keep a loyal slave like Darth Vader, utterly loyal and ruthless in carrying out the busy work of maintaining an empire while he can lord it up not having to worry about the triviality of running security operations for the Death Star. Yet no so powerful that he could challenge him.

If Palpatine found that Anakin was without match in combat and became a close ally as Darth Vader, he might just have him bumped off so that he wouldn't be worried about him challenging him an beating him in combat.

PS: I still don't consider the prequel trilogy, I don't know how Anakin would end up a half-dead cyborg but not in a fight with Obi Wan. It could be a clone attack that kills his wife (Mother of Luke and Leia) and leaves Anakin almost dead, he is twisted by anger and his loss he agrees to become Palpatine's servant as Darth Vader as long as he can avenge the death of his wife.

Anakin chooses the path of vengeance, extremism and totalitarianism. A ceaseless drive to destroy all the enemies of the empire.
Ok, I'll give you that. And yes yes, I realize that you don't recognize the prequel trilogy and I'm not going to get into THAT right now. ¬____¬
Nevertheless, I was just saying that neither it nor your theory seemed consistent with Sith as I understood them. That's the only reason why I mentioned it.
Also:
I don't know how Anakin would end up a half-dead cyborg but not in a fight with Obi Wan. It could be a clone attack that kills his wife (Mother of Luke and Leia) and leaves Anakin almost dead, he is twisted by anger and his loss he agrees to become Palpatine's servant as Darth Vader as long as he can avenge the death of his wife.
that makes much more sense than any of that necromancer stuff you were talking about.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Elect G-Max said:
Diablo2000 said:
JackandTom said:
OP: I just rewatched Total Recall since I bought the new Blu Ray release, and I kind of agree with the theory that it was all a dream after he went in to the Rekall machine. In the film Quaid/Hauser experiences everything that Rekall said he was going to experience, and they even draw attention to this theory a few times in the film. The woman that he meets on Mars is the woman he created for his rekall experience, but on the other hand why would he have been dreaming about her before the rekall experience? You can pretty much argue it both ways but I probably agree with the 'it was all a dream' theory.
Yes, Indeed.
There's also the fact that in the scene where the doctor is explaining how it all works, it shows some locations from later in the film in a monitor, including that weird alien place from the end.

He also leaves Sharon Stone back where she was THE Sharon Stone and I don't buy that unless it was a dream.
No.

We know for sure that he's not dreaming because stuff happens that he never knows about.
Then how comes that some medium size company on Earth has a image from ancient alien ruins on Mars when it was suposed to be all a big secret?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
Wintermoot said:
cotss2012 said:
henritje said:
Ikari Shinji is gay in the original Evangelion TV show
Nope. He faps to Asuka's nekkid boobies in the hospital, remember? He can also be caught staring at Rei in many scenes, and freaks out when other characters notice the staring.
that's more a act of lust then a act of affection
Irrelevant. Gay guys don't jack off to girl boobs.

Wintermoot said:
also he blushes near Kaoru.
Yeah, I'd be embarrassed if a gay dude was checking me out in the shower too.

Blushing is about embarrassment, not attraction.

Flamezdudes said:
And Rebuild being a sequel just can't make sense, how would events be occuring again but differently, with all the pieces in place again like Unit-01? (Even though it went off into space) I believe that Hideaki Anno is simply referencing back to things that us Eva fans will gush over.
The idea is that, after Third Impact, Shinji or someone else somehow used magical powers to re-create the world in a form similar to how it was right before all the Angel shit started happening, then wiped everybody's memories.

No, it doesn't make any sense. Then again, it's Evangelion, so it doesn't have to.

Flamezdudes said:
And Unit-00's soul? - http://wiki.evageeks.org/Eva-00%27s_soul
Evageeks is run by a tiny cabal of A/S shippers who treat the RCB like the word of God and accuse anyone who disagrees with them of "trolling". However, the analysis of Zerogouki's soul is more or less sound. Rei's soul got sucked into Zero at a young age, and Lilith's soul was put into Rei's body.
I've been visiting Eva-Geeks for awhile and even browse and read discussions on the forums and never once have I seen what you have claimed - that it's run by A/S shippers. And by RCB do you mean the Red Cross Book?

But yeah, to me the Sequel Theory doesn't make sense but it's not because it's Evangelion. Most of Eva can make sense when you put some effort into it I think.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Elect G-Max said:
Diablo2000 said:
Then how comes that some medium size company on Earth has a image from ancient alien ruins on Mars when it was suposed to be all a big secret?
I have no idea WTF you're talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGw5ioNigFM

Around 15 minutes and something, shows a image of that alien place of the movie ending.
If wasn't a dream, then how they had a picture of it?

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I like how this Harry Potter fanfiction [http://hpmor.com/] explains the universe within which it's set through scientific principles and experimentation.

It's also very well written so I highly recommend it to any Harry Potter fan :D

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Elect G-Max said:
TWEWYFan said:
That Anakin used the jedi mind trick on Padme to make her love him. By the end, he was using it so often and so deeply, whether consciously or not, she could no longer function without him. To me, it actually makes their "love story" and her sudden death make much more sense.
That trick only works on the weak-minded, and Padme wasn't weak-minded.
You make a valid point, however I think someone could probably counter it with one or more of these these points.

1. Anakin was supposedly some kind of prodigy, so it's possible he could mind trick someone a normal jedi could not.
2. Padme likely had her guard down with him which could have made it easier. Plus the familiarity between the two might have helped.
3. The two were in almost constant contact with each other, so perhaps his influence could have worn down any resistance she had.

If these don't work for you, that's fine. There's certainly room for interpretation here.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I follow the James Bond fan theory.

The one that states that it is just a code name and not a single character.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
The_Waspman said:
Oh, such ripe pickings...

I tend to try and avoid fan theories (unless they're my own) because that is a long (short) slippery slope towards fan fic, and we all know to avoid that like the plague.

But just in relation to what has already been mentioned...

Its already been firmly established that Warners are rebooting Batman for Justice League, hasn't it? The Nolan-verse was already established as a trilogy when Batman Begins was so successful, so any speculation about it continuing is kinda moot. Sure, it'd be great to see a Batman/Nightwing combo (Robin is probably too colourful for the Nolan-verse), but as I say, Warners are all geared towards what will probably turn out to be an awful Justice League movie

while this theory is an interesting one, hasn't it been mentioned several times in the books that Jon looks an awful lot like Ned Stark? Thats one of the reasons that Cat hates him so much right? Also, in the books, all of their other children are redheads, right? Except Jon and Arya. If he really were Rhaegars son, he'd be silver haired, wouldn't he?

I vehemently disbeleive the whole indoctrination theory thing, because too much of it is basically just grasping at straws from the evidence presented. Its like the movie Clue, and how it has three different endings which all work with the evidence presented. My main problem with it is that I just don't buy that the kid isn't real. Just because he's presented in a way that apparently only Shepard sees him? Nah, just don't buy it. And without that, the indoctrination theory falls apart.

I wholeheartedly agree with the James Bond one though. I mean, its the only way that Bond (movie Bond anyway) makes any sense.
Not going to get into a massive discussion about this but I was just wondering how you would explain the fact that the Catalyst appears as the kid if the kid is actually real.Its an AI how does it know the kid exists and what he looks like and even if it could find that out why would it appear as him.That's the main reason I believe the indoctrination theory as its the only way I can see the kid being at the end making sense.