Fan Trailer Imagines Nintendo's Post-Console Future

PetitDemon

Jan 4, 2015
I think that Nintendo should make something like an Nvidia Shield.

A lot of people still like the idea of handhelds. And an Android handheld could probably do as good as a tablet.
The Nvidia Shield didn't do terribly well. But neither did the Nvidia Shield tablet. It doesn't mean that there isn't a market for such a thing. It just means that Nvidia has a hard time breaking into these industries. Nvidia are fairly unknown outside of CG business and hyper-enthusiast PC gaming circles.

Most people familiar with mobile know brands like Apple and Samsung. Not so much Nvidia and Razer.
And people buy tablets because they like multipurpose devices. The 3DS has an internet browser and a few popular mobile apps. But it's pretty closed and limited. Between a multipurpose "mobile" device, and a device that can pretty much only play games, most people find that they need a mobile device, more.

A Nintendo Android device could seriously shake up the industry. I know that it's a cutthroat industry, and Nintendo tends to be weak in terms of hardware, and Nintendo doesn't have the resources to sell things at ultra-low prices. But Nintendo has an Apple-esque quality to them. Apple sells hardware at way above cost, but people buy them to get the "Apple experience". So too would people do that with Nintendo to get a "Nintendo experience".

It would be a rough start, since Apple and Samsung lead this industry. But it would be a start that would lead to good things, I think. It might not sell as well as an iPad Air, but it would sell better than their current handheld, and reach a lot closer to their Nintendo DS numbers.

Going Android isn't necessarily "going mobile" and competing with Samsung and Apple, it's making their handheld division stronger by having broader appeal.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
It's all marketing. As long as this crusade against Japan by the new Jack Thompsons continue, every news piece about Nintendo will decleare their imminent doom. Because they lust after their marketshare, supremely hypocrite as the Indie devs once revered the NES age as their formative motherland (what are Braid and Fez if not good natured ripoffs?).

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Nintendo should've tried to replace the Wii with a Smart Phone instead of the Wii U. The Wii U failed for the same reason that Windows 8 failed. That being the stupid idea that people would want touch screens in their non portable devices. Touch screens are only convenient when there are no buttons available.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
What's wrong with the idea of Nintendo releasing old games on mobile while still keeping new games for their own consoles? You can't tell me that the older Pokémon and Zelda games wouldn't do fine on mobile just like Final Fantasy did.

Also to say the Wii U is seeing a sales increase is a bit of a joke as it's sales are way below were either the Saturn and Dreamcast where at the same point.

And while the 3DS has seen 50 million sales that's with more hardware revisions than any previous handheld in a far shorter time and sales are still piss poor not merely compared to the DS but also the PSP and Gameboy Advance.
Because why cannibalize your business model? Once again, how many times does Nintendo need to reiterate this: they make a ton of money from their hardware sales, thus ensuring they can keep their autonomy and keep an experimental and unique identity in the gaming industry instead of just going down the same, bland, stodgy dead end that everyone else is. There is no point to it, it's just the cry of people who are incapable of thinking in the long term. They will never, ever stop making hardware, either in the home console front or the handheld front.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Pretty epically made, very nostalgic scenes selected for it!!!

But, this already exists... it's called emulator apps.
Yay for Android! ;)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
McMarbles said:
Mario 64 with touch-screen controls? Ew.
Eh, it might not be as bad as the touch screen option they gave in place for Mario 64 DS...they really should've waited when remaking that one and done it for the 3DS instead like what they did for a lot of N64 remakes.
*hates having to hit the run button in 64 DS*

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Nintendo is the most hardware centric company in the industry, they actually make unique hardware, which they integrate into their games. The Wii U is the only console that actually still feels like a console, and not just an underpowered PC.

I'm not saying Nintendo would never abandon the console market, but if they do, they'll be the last ones to do so, and they won't do it for shitty mobile games without proper buttons.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Nintendo should go software only? But didn't they make a profit in their last quarter or two?

Mcoffey said:
A man can dream. I look forward to the day when I can play an HD Zelda or Metroid on Steam, and then take Fire Emblem or Pokemon on my phone. The purists can whine all they want but, for a lot of people, that would be the best thing Nintendo has done in decades.
Nintendo would kill anything that isn't Mario or Zelda if they did that. If, hypothetically, they were to go software only tomorrow, you could kiss Splatoon, Star Fox (Which you people have been begging for for years), Project STEAM, and Xenoblade X goodbye.