Fanny packs mother****** , do you wear em?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Shoulder bags all the way, atleast they can hold more than a purse and maybe a small bottle.
I thought shoulder bags were purses. How exactly are they different? They look like the same thing to me, even when Searching " shoulder bag" and "purse" Some of the exact same images come up.
Bleh, ment to say wallet instead of purse. Blame my brain.

Purses have a shorter strap/handle than shoulder bags.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Shoulder bags all the way, atleast they can hold more than a purse and maybe a small bottle.
I thought shoulder bags were purses. How exactly are they different? They look like the same thing to me, even when Searching " shoulder bag" and "purse" Some of the exact same images come up.

I thought most purses with a shorter handle ALSO have a longer strap. Often the longer strap is detachable, which is also the case with clutches, however I believe shoulder bags are just a type of purse, not that they are not a purse. Shoulder bags, clutches, handbags, tote, satchel, coin purses are all types of purses. Wallet is different though.
Like this:
https://evbdn.eventbrite.com/s3-s3/eventlogos/31204625/coachpurse.jpg

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:

I thought most purses with a shorter handle ALSO have a longer strap. Often the longer strap is detachable, which is also the case with clutches, however I believe shoulder bags are just a type of purse, not that they are not a purse. Shoulder bags, clutches, handbags, coin purses are all types of purses. Wallet is different though.
Confusing stuff, urgh. Anyway, I assume we can agree that whatever it is named it's still better than a fanny pack?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:

I thought most purses with a shorter handle ALSO have a longer strap. Often the longer strap is detachable, which is also the case with clutches, however I believe shoulder bags are just a type of purse, not that they are not a purse. Shoulder bags, clutches, handbags, coin purses are all types of purses. Wallet is different though.
Confusing stuff, urgh. Anyway, I assume we can agree that whatever it is named it's still better than a fanny pack?
No. LOL!
I hate shoulder bags, not only do they hurt my shoulder and neck, try to strangle me on roller coasters that go upside down while all my stuff falls out, I had a guy stick his hand in my shoulder bag while I was at a street festival. I linked pics of the belt bags I wear though on post #56 on this thread, not the bulky type. I do also like backpacks for carrying more than I can carry with a wristlet or a belt bag.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:

No. LOL!
I hate shoulder bags, not only do they hurt my shoulder and neck, try to strangle me on roller coasters that go upside down while all my stuff falls out, I had a guy stick his hand in my shoulder bag while I was at a street festival. I linked pics of the belt bags I wear though on post #56 on this thread. I do like backpacks though for carrying more than I can carry with a wristlet or a belt bag.
Darnit. To each their own I suppose. I'm really fond of my shoulder bag. Got it for free a few years ago and ironically it's more durable than my backpacks ever were.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Hellz_Barz said:
Here in Sydney the only people that wear fanny packs are teenage hoodlums, ravers & druggies. all three often blend together. I don't wear them because i don't want to be associated with those kind of people. Also I've got a small backpack to carry everything i need, everything else goes in my pockets.
This^^

Although I have seen the occasional tourist wear them, but mostly hoodlums, ravers and druggies.

Still don't know why they wear them either, what could these people keep in them that wont go in their pockets?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Lil devils x said:
0takuMetalhead said:

No. LOL!
I hate shoulder bags, not only do they hurt my shoulder and neck, try to strangle me on roller coasters that go upside down while all my stuff falls out, I had a guy stick his hand in my shoulder bag while I was at a street festival. I linked pics of the belt bags I wear though on post #56 on this thread. I do like backpacks though for carrying more than I can carry with a wristlet or a belt bag.
Darnit. To each their own I suppose. I'm really fond of my shoulder bag. Got it for free a few years ago and ironically it's more durable than my backpacks ever were.
Yea, most of my shoulder bags were more durable than my backpacks, and it is harder to access stuff in my backpack, so I usually put lipstick and stuff in the wristlet so it is easier to get to. A backpack or a belt bag are not something you can really wear out to dinner and such either, and then a shoulder bag or clutch is better. I prefer not to wear a shoulder bag for things like amusement parks, shopping, concerts, out on a boat or cycling though because it gets in the way too much and I feel like I wind up wrestling it.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
dumbseizure said:
Hellz_Barz said:
Here in Sydney the only people that wear fanny packs are teenage hoodlums, ravers & druggies. all three often blend together. I don't wear them because i don't want to be associated with those kind of people. Also I've got a small backpack to carry everything i need, everything else goes in my pockets.
This^^

Although I have seen the occasional tourist wear them, but mostly hoodlums, ravers and druggies.

Still don't know why they wear them either, what could these people keep in them that wont go in their pockets?
Lipstick for example, melts in your pockets from your body heat and becomes quite a mess, although I think wristlets are better for lipstick. What if you don't have pockets?

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Lil devils x said:
dumbseizure said:
Hellz_Barz said:
This^^

Lipstick for example, melts in your pockets from your body heat and becomes quite a mess, although I think wristlets are better for lipstick. What if you don't have pockets?
Fair point.

When I actually think about it, everyone I've seen wearing a fanny pack/bum bag have been wearing those small footy shorts, don't actually know whether they have pockets.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Nope. Never have, never will.

Granted, it probably helps that whenever I'm not at work I tend to wear military style BDU cargo pants. Having a ton of large pockets makes the fanny pack rather irrelevant to me.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hellz_Barz said:
wait WHAT?...is this a thing?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Lil devils x said:
I thought fanny packs and belt bags flat or not were the same things.
Eh, could be a local distinction. Hell, the language in this thread is already confusing enough because of that sort of thing - outside North America "fanny" = "vagina" (so you can imagine what "fanny pack" sounds like over here...), and a "purse" is a woman's wallet, not a bag.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
krazykidd said:
Lol and behold , a thread about fanny packs. I don't know if they are coming back in style ( or if they were every in style) but iv'e been seeing quite a lot of them lately. While i see the utility of them, i find them hideous and hate them with a flowery passion. To me, they are ugly, uncomfortable and pointless. Anything i can/would put in a fanny pack i can put in a bag or purse or a wallet. I just don't see the appeal.

So my question to you my dear escapists is:

Do you wear fanny packs?

And if you don't what is your opinion on them?
Correction *Bum Bag.

but anyway no I don't

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Nope. Never have and have no intention to. No offense to people who actually wear them, but they just look really strange. If i need to store something, I'll just use my pockets or, if if i don't have room, my drawstring backpack: Light, and it doesn't look half as strange.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hellz_Barz said:
I'd say it's been the standard for almost a decade now. have you never had a run in with a lad(Australian Chav)?
ehh...not that I've noticed...I always saw them as ridiculously dorky

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
I got something similar to this a few years ago for Christmas.

I use it for short hiking trips, it's big enough for some basic camera gear and holds two water bottles. Otherwise I just cram everything into my pockets. That's one of the reasons I like colder weather, having a coat means more pockets.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
delta4062 said:
]I want to live where you do then. Western Sydney is fucking plagued with scum like this.
Perth...I guess its cooler than Sydney

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I don't understand why anyone would not have pockets other than for sports gear. I can't imagine leaving the house without pockets.

OT: I have worn them but do not currently because I don't have any that meet my requirements. I'm looking for one that hangs from belt level low enough to allow access to my pockets, is made of leather and lays fairly flat against my leg.