Fans Build BioShock Infinite in Minecraft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fans Build BioShock Infinite in Minecraft

Ten friends, two weeks and a heck of a lot of digital building blocks equals one flying city.

BioShock Infinite fans have recreated the floating city of Columbia in the sandbox building game Minecraft, using information gleaned from trailers and screenshots, and a dash of imagination to fill in the blanks.

The leader of the project, known as "DrKamina," runs a BioShock themed Minecraft server called "City of Rapture," and according to the video's description, he and his ten-strong team worked on the project for two weeks before deciding to release the first video. DrKamina says that the map will soon be placed on its own server, which will be called "City of Columbia," so presumably other Minecraft players will soon be able to tour it for themselves.

It must have taken real dedication - not to mention a lot of planning - to recreate the city brick for brick, and the results are both quirky and impressive. My own experience with Minecraft was five minutes spent tunnelling until I hit lava, so I can't even begin to imagine building something so grand.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/19/built-a-tower-to-the-sky-minecraft-columbia]

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
now THAT, is impressive.

And must have taken some time and dedication to build. Congrats to the people who did it.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
If this isn't one of the coolest things ever, I don't know what is.

Ooh! Ooh! What about re-creating Rapture in Minecraft, or when Bioshock Infinite comes out, there's a mod that makes everything look like this?

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
It's pretty cool to watch people build amazing stuff in that game.

Here hoping that the alpha carts will be fixed soon.

oranger

May 27, 2008
That was awesome. It makes me want the game!

edit: I find minecraft inspiring, and a little bit disenchanting regarding the rest of the video game industry. one guy made minecraft. ONE GUY.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I hope they add a handrail feature soon.

*building, building, bui-AGGGGGAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
It's nice to know BioShock Infinite will be so awesome, the fan creations were catapulted back in time to teach us all. :)

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Never played Minecraft. What's the big deal. Looks like digital legos (although the building was impressive).

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
That is the power of nerds working together. Now if only we could do something productive.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
As impressive as it is, I guarantee that, five minutes after it enters the public servers, some griefer will mess it up completely.

Shadeovblack

Jul 4, 2009
thats awesome! I wish I could build like that, most of my constructions in minecraft look like lumps of resources smooshed together to make a livable space >.<

I love the atmosphere in singleplayer Minecraft though. Going from one island to another harvesting resources, then rushing back home at night to be safe from the zombie hordes.

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
snowman6251 said:
Never played Minecraft. What's the big deal. Looks like digital legos (although the building was impressive).
Mine-craft sort of is digital Lego but in first person view with tools and fluids and various other cool things all in an infinite world (only limited by the size your hard drive its horribly addictive much more so than say GMOD

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Looks like quiet a bit of work went into it. Of course if the development team decides to totally change the layout and movie that guy is going to be so mad.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I played that game once. I tried to build a giant Stargate. I gave up halfway through, and haven't been back since. My friend built a giant house, and some griefer screwed it up after about 2 hours into building it. He doesn't play any more either.