Fans "Fix" Ghostbusters Trailer With Recut

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
PhiMed said:
Patathatapon said:
I don't like Ghost busters.
That's because you're a Hipster.
Maybe I am a hipster, but I tried to watch it TWICE. I TRIED to like it. 30 minutes in and all the humor fell flat for me, and I hated every character I saw. I wanted everyone in the film to come to an untimely end. I already know how the movie ends (The good guys win), so it was clearly not for me. Everyone in my family agrees with me. The majority of the jokes seems to be low brow humour "Eww slime how yucky, isn't this yucky? Ewww it vomited on me, isn't that yucky?" or makes the main characters look like cunts (Like the beginning psychic scene.) So you want to say I'm a hipster, fine. You don't need to agree with me, but you don't need to be a sarcastic jerk either.

EDIT: Edited my anger down a little bit.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
OT: I actually made a point to watch the original ghostbusters trailer from the 80's last night, just to get a comparison about how people are comparing it to the movie. "It's not scary, there is no tension. It's all corny one-liners and gags!" And...sorry but, the original trailer...is just like that. There is no actual tension maintained. It's all corny one-liners and gags, with the goofy sounding theme song playing over it the whole time. And I love the GB movies, both of them actually, but let's be fair here. Don't compare the new trailer to the original movie. Compare the new trailer to the old trailer And frankly, they're about equal in quality in my opinion.

Pretty sure that from 1:09 to 1:35 is meant to be a tension builder and those aren't corny 1 liners and gag. Then they do a quick joke to ease tension, then from 1:36- 1:55 is back to the tension with the "hero shot". The first 35 seconds of the trailer is exposition to explain what a Ghostbuster even is because the world didn't know yet, and they used tension to do it. Throughout the whole trailer I see 2, maybe 3 cheesy one liners - and one is even exposition.

Most of the new trailer is jokes in the movie whether it be cheesy one liners or just there to show me how whacky these new Ghostbusters can be. All I know is someone built a device that amplifies paranormal activity. (Talk about plot devices, har har) Also, we'll see if anyone ever gets scared of a ghost on here. The original still had the ghostbusters get afraid despite the theme song. It doesn't look like it though. The whole tone is seriously off for this new one.

I will say I was reading the other thread on this and saw someone post some links and the Washington Post made a good point that this new trailer has over 400k dislikes on Youtube. That is more than the stupidly titled Fant4stic. I will say that this movie is getting shoved in people's faces right now thanks to gender politics but 400K dislikes is still a lot. You have to be really upset to hit the dislike button. I dont think this is any form of travesty. I didn't hit dislike, I just decided that I won't be watching the sour new attempt at ghostmaids. Seriously, this movie shows it was written by the bridesmaids guy. If people want a ghostbusters movie that focuses on female centered humor, whatever, its not like I have to buy a ticket. I am single right now so no one will be dragging me into the theatre to watch it as that is the only way I would ever watch this one is for the sake of a girlfriend as I often don't 'get' the brand of girl humor I have seen in this movie. But I am sure many women didn't care for Venkman's schmoozing humor in the other movies.

400k dislikes, yeah some of it is most probably some anti-feminists clicks at that high a number. But I dont think it would be so bad if this stuff wasn't being thrown in everyone's face right now. Thor became a woman, this movie was announced with all female cast as the pitch to audiences. Gamergate is even referenced in those articles by Paul Feig. They changed the ghostbusters to all women and hired the guy in charge of bridesmaids to make it. Since bridesmaids he has been working with Melissa McCarthy with female lead style movies. In case you aren't seeing the pattern, male audiences are of little concern here.

The focus is female centric humor and Chris Hemsworth looking hunky. That's fine, really it is, but when a bunch of guys are upset that their "guys capture ghosts" silly movie is more for girls this time, it shouldn't be shocking. The mission statement here seems intent on no male inclusion. Again, that's fine, but you shouldn't be confused when there is men upset for being excluded this time, then they are called sexist. It's like taking a kid's toy away because you can, then insulting and yelling at the kid for being upset for having something taken from them. Again I will stress, why is it so important that this be an all female cast? It doesn't seem like the plot requires it, just some lame 'women are insecure' jokes.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zenja said:
Happyninja42 said:
OT: I actually made a point to watch the original ghostbusters trailer from the 80's last night, just to get a comparison about how people are comparing it to the movie. "It's not scary, there is no tension. It's all corny one-liners and gags!" And...sorry but, the original trailer...is just like that. There is no actual tension maintained. It's all corny one-liners and gags, with the goofy sounding theme song playing over it the whole time. And I love the GB movies, both of them actually, but let's be fair here. Don't compare the new trailer to the original movie. Compare the new trailer to the old trailer And frankly, they're about equal in quality in my opinion.

Pretty sure that from 1:09 to 1:35 is meant to be a tension builder and those aren't corny 1 liners and gag. Then they do a quick joke to ease tension, then from 1:36- 1:55 is back to the tension with the "hero shot". The first 35 seconds of the trailer is exposition to explain what a Ghostbuster even is because the world didn't know yet, and they used tension to do it. Throughout the whole trailer I see 2, maybe 3 cheesy one liners - and one is even exposition.

Most of the new trailer is jokes in the movie whether it be cheesy one liners or just there to show me how whacky these new Ghostbusters can be. All I know is someone built a device that amplifies paranormal activity. (Talk about plot devices, har har) Also, we'll see if anyone ever gets scared of a ghost on here. The original still had the ghostbusters get afraid despite the theme song. It doesn't look like it though. The whole tone is seriously off for this new one.

I will say I was reading the other thread on this and saw someone post some links and the Washington Post made a good point that this new trailer has over 400k dislikes on Youtube. That is more than the stupidly titled Fant4stic. I will say that this movie is getting shoved in people's faces right now thanks to gender politics but 400K dislikes is still a lot. You have to be really upset to hit the dislike button. I dont think this is any form of travesty. I didn't hit dislike, I just decided that I won't be watching the sour new attempt at ghostmaids. Seriously, this movie shows it was written by the bridesmaids guy. If people want a ghostbusters movie that focuses on female centered humor, whatever, its not like I have to buy a ticket. I am single right now so no one will be dragging me into the theatre to watch it as that is the only way I would ever watch this one is for the sake of a girlfriend as I often don't 'get' the brand of girl humor I have seen in this movie. But I am sure many women didn't care for Venkman's schmoozing humor in the other movies.

400k dislikes, yeah some of it is most probably some anti-feminists clicks at that high a number. But I dont think it would be so bad if this stuff wasn't being thrown in everyone's face right now. Thor became a woman, this movie was announced with all female cast as the pitch to audiences. Gamergate is even referenced in those articles by Paul Feig. They changed the ghostbusters to all women and hired the guy in charge of bridesmaids to make it. Since bridesmaids he has been working with Melissa McCarthy with female lead style movies. In case you aren't seeing the pattern, male audiences are of little concern here. The focus is female centric humor and Chris Hemsworth looking hunky. That's fine, really it is, but when a bunch of guys are upset that their "guys capture ghosts" silly movie is more for girls this time, it shouldn't be shocking. The mission statement here seems intent on no male inclusion. Again, that's fine, but you shouldn't be confused when there is men upset for being excluded this time, then they are called sexist. It's like taking a kid's toy away because you can, then insulting and yelling at them for being upset for having something taken from them. Again I will stress, why is it so important that this be an all female cast? It doesn't seem like the plot requires it, just some lame 'women are insecure' jokes.
Actually you don't have to be really angry to hit dislike. All you have to do is...dislike it. It's a pretty effortless thing to click that little down thumb. As to your other points, I don't really care about those, my point is regarding the trailer. Sure, the content of it looks bad, and personally, I don't think the movie will be good. But people are comparing the trailer to the original movie. Which is an unfair comparison. This is a spliced together mashup of bits they think will attract the audience. They suck, but to me, so does the original trailer. It's terrible. You think it's good, fine, different opinions and all. I think it sucks. So if I was just going by the trailer itself, I would say that the original GB was probably going to be a shitty movie, just like people are doing with the new one. But the truth is, we don't know how it will play out on film. Half of the clips we see, might not even make it into the movie at all. All the bits leading up to the corny parts, might, in context, turn out to be great parts, just like in the original. Hell that scene where McCarthy goes all Terminator on her friend, dragging her by her throat across a fucking room, to dangle her out the window, perhaps that's an entire scene, where she is violently attacking her friends, throwing them left and right, possibly injuring them. We don't know. We've been given a ridiculously condensed cross section of the new movie, which likely isn't going to accurately reflect the final product. So while you can dislike it, just like I do, don't flip your shit over it. The "you" being the plural you, not you specifically. I directed my whole post about the original trailer to try and remind people who are losing their shit over this thing, that it's just a trailer, and trailers always lie about the movie.

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
My other points are just there to illustrate why people are "flipping their shit" over this. A property that initated a male fandom is being remade and the boys are being excluded. That was even the pitch of the movie. "Let's remake it, but no boys allowed". Then play coy why they get upset and call them sexist.

However, as for the trailer vs. trailer, I kind of pointed out that the original is 1:30 of tension to do exposition. Then 30 second of goofy exposition. I think the original trailer captures the original's atmosphere just fine. I think most trailers do. Could this new movie be good, sure. But I am seeing scary movie + bridesmaids and I think that is more likely considering pop culture at this time.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Zenja said:
My other points are just there to illustrate why people are "flipping their shit" over this. A property that initated a male fandom is being remade and the boys are being excluded. That was even the pitch of the movie. "Let's remake it, but no boys allowed". Then play coy why they get upset and call them sexist.

However, as for the trailer vs. trailer, I kind of pointed out that the original is 1:30 of tension to do exposition. Then 30 second of goofy exposition. I think the original trailer captures the original's atmosphere just fine. I think most trailers do. Could this new movie be good, sure. But I am seeing scary movie + bridesmaids and I think that is more likely considering pop culture at this time.
I'm gonna have a controversial opinion and say while I appreciate everything you just said, and if I was a fan of the series I'd be annoyed (seen them, enjoyed them, but that was it) the movie doesn't look that bad.

I think a lot of people really won't care about the gender politics and just want to see a good ghostbusters movie, and Bill Murray's not gonna live forever so they'll need to work out a format for the series regarding a new team sooner or later.
Unless the movie sucks, in which case Salon.com will surely implode under the weight of all its deflections.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is a significantly better trailer, IMO. When I saw recut, I thought people were going to get "creative" with the scenes, but it used all footage from the same trailer, just cut significantly better. It's really idiotic how bad trailers are these days just because they are cut so badly by people who are making decisions via marketing rather than just making a trailer that is enjoyable and interesting.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
elvor0 said:
Nimcha said:
Zenja said:
Nimcha said:
What annoys me the most is how few people are actually willing to admit they hate this just because they cast some women to play the leading roles.
That's awful presumptuous of you to call them presumptuous of the film.
It's what it boils down to. Of course some people are going to quote me saying they have different reasons but that's not the point. Every reboot gets criticism from 'fans' or whatever they want to call themselves. That's nothing new. But this has been blowing out of proportion for one simple reason. You and I both know what that is.
No, you've just decided what it is. You're literally attempting to force people into engaging in your strawman. Go after what people are saying, not just ignoring it because you've decided that they're lying about the reasons they're complaining and are just really "misogynists" or whatever buggery bollocks is the zing word of the day.
I doubt it would change anything. I recall back when Legend of Korra was a hot topic on this forum, I got into probably 4 different thread debates on why the show actually wasn't good. I even went into very detailed, episodic, scene specific breakdowns on why it was poorly written. And after spending a good half hour each time, putting together a coherent argument to support my stance, every time, someone would chime in with "Lulz, you're just butthurt cuz they put a girl in Aang's place." Some people won't actually listen to what anyone says, and will continue to operate out of their own preconceptions. Or, they're doing it intentionally to try and generate conflict in the thread. And we know what that's called, but we can't actually mention it here. so, *shrugs*.
Pret-tty much. It's painful. And these are the people who supposedly feel that there is a need for discussion. It's infuriatingly rude and pathetic.

I also semi concur with your views on the trailer, having never seen the trailer for the OG Ghostbusters, it was...poor as hell. Its not as cringe worthy as 2016 GB, but it is a piss poor trailer. There's not even any fucking ghosts in it!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
Gamers: hating something with a passion without actually seeing it. It ensures that right or wrong, they still come off looking like assholes.
Mm, quite. You could've added something to the topic, but it's much quicker to just insult anyone who didn't like the trailer and call it a day, right? Clearly you're above all this "gamer" stuff.

The trailer was horrendous. The purpose of the trailer is to make me like the film. It did not do this, it made the film look awful Therfore, I /anticipate/ that the film is awful. That is not an unprecedented response to seeing an awful trailer.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Great, now if only they can cut all of that cringe-ass material from the actual movie and cast better actors you might get somewhere.

Seriously, who's playing the black woman? "I know the streets" give me a fucking break. Are they SERIOUS? Is that a real line that a real writer they paid money came up with? It's somehow racially and culturally regressive compared to it's predecessor, which was made in the 19-frickin'-80's.