Fans Shoot Live Action Cutscenes for Command & Conquer 3 Mod

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Fans Shoot Live Action Cutscenes for Command & Conquer 3 Mod

Fans of the Command & Conquer series spent 3 years creating a full mod of C&C3 [http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-3-Tiberium-Wars-pc/dp/B000MG3LDA/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285352413&sr=8-1], complete with new units, structures and live-action video cutscenes.

Every once in a while, you come across a fan-made project that just blows you away with its complexity and scope. Command & Conquer 3: The Forgotten modifies every aspect of the original game to tell the story of a group of soldiers introduced in Westwood's Tiberian Sun. The over 13 nations [http://www.cnclabs.com/], created The Forgotten as a labor of love (read: no pay) over the last three years. After all of that work, the full mod was released this week.

You can check out the launch trailer here:

For those of you who may not remember, the Forgotten are a faction the player encounters in C&C: Tiberian Sun and its expansion, Firestorm. Most of the Forgotten are humans that have been mutated by exposure to Tiberium through Nod experimentation ordered by Kane. They were abandoned by Kane and eventually became loosely allied with GDI during the Second Tiberium War. After their memorable introduction in C&C2, the Forgotten they did not appear in C&C3 at all. The team at CnC Labs liked the story of the Forgotten so much that they wanted their story to continue.

While the launch trailer shows off the units and structures (with some oddly good music) the real beauty of The Forgotten is the live action video cutscenes that are a hallmark of the series. You can see a preview of the cutscenes in a trailer released in December of 2009:

The acting certainly isn't on par with Ric Flair [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJLL8MES-8], and I would have liked a little more enthusiasm, but I still respect the mod makers for trying. Their work is definitely inspiring.

Head over to the official site [http://theforgotten.cnclabs.com/] to download and find out more.

Damn it, now I have to get on making that Alpha Centauri fan-film.

via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/23/massive-fan-made-command-and-conquer-game-released/#continued]

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
I like when people take the time and effort and it really shows with this.

Although, how long before EA come down on them hard?

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Ben Legend said:

Very unlikely, EA's actually linked to the mod on their C&C site before.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I didn't like it at first, but then I realized it was because I'm not used to overweight people existing in any form of media outside the role of a wealthy, powerful villain, or the stupid, lecherous comic relief. Once I realized my partial prejudice, I was able to enjoy it much more.

Verdict: Not bad at all. I'll definitely be giving this a download when I've got some downtime.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
dekkarax said:
Ben Legend said:

Very unlikely, EA's actually linked to the mod on their C&C site before.
Wow, thats nice of them... what are they really plotting? But seriously, I think more game developers should take interest in what the community can do for them instead of issuing them with law suits or a cease and desist order. Bravo EA.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Andddd download. These guys desever the praise and attention i'm going to give them. Three years of putting talent and heart into making a interesting tale and building apon a gaming experiance is far more than EA has ever done.

EDIT: I will give props to EA however for being a mod friendly gaming company.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Might have to reinstall C&C3 and check this out. Looks cool. Nice devotion to your mod. A lot of these "huge mods" that people start never really get off the ground.

Like that mod project to create Baldur's Gate 2 in Dragon Age. How's that going again? >.>;

Edit: Wait, didn't the Forgotten appear in C&C3 as those 'mercenary' gatling cannon squads you could buy once you captured the neutral building? I'm pretty sure one of their lines was "We will not be forgotten" or something like that. Admittedly it was a lot more limited in comparison to all the mutants you got in TibSun, but I'm pretty sure they were there.

Barely.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Hehe, "the Forgotten" were forgotten! Ah, the sweet sweet poetry.
Still, the mod looks great! If I had the game I'd download it, but I gave up on C&C after Red Alert 2.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Bit of a jab on the voice acting there. I mean, it's not perfect, but considering it's an amateur production, it isn't at all bad. I've heard much worse from big-budget productions. Heck, even Blizzard seems to occasionally have a "Bring An Intern To the Recording Studio Day".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I've been playing this already (it came out earlier in the week). The effort that they put into it is really nice, but holy crap it's hard as hell. Even on easy mode, which I had to put it on to stand even a sliver of a chance, they just keep throwing a constant stream of units at you. I swear, once I finally cracked the enemy base's massive defense and got inside the base, they had a full field of blue tiberuim with no harvesters working it. I got wiped out and came back with another force... And the tiberuim was still a full field with no harvesters, and yet the enemy hadn't stopped cranking out attack forces at me. Insane! (This was mission 2 BTW)

It works in a way though. Fits with that whole "We're this group of ragtag guys trying to strike out against an organized military" thing they have going, but still, a few seconds to breathe in between attacks is nice.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Amnestic said:
Edit: Wait, didn't the Forgotten appear in C&C3 as those 'mercenary' gatling cannon squads you could buy once you captured the neutral building? I'm pretty sure one of their lines was "We will not be forgotten" or something like that. Admittedly it was a lot more limited in comparison to all the mutants you got in TibSun, but I'm pretty sure they were there.

Barely.
Yep, you are correct. In a very select few missions of the game, you could capture a "Mutant Hovel" structure and train Marauder squads from it. So yeah, they were there, but basically it was lip service. "Oh yeah, here are those mutant guys from the last game, now back to our alien invaders plot." The Marauders didn't really even look like the mutants from Tiberian Sun though, they were just kinda beefy guys with deepish voices.

EDIT: Well that's what I get for assuming someone else would have posted by now. :(

LaffRaff

Sep 24, 2010
Hello Everyone!

This is Alex, Director of all the videos for the mod. I'd like to thank you all for appreciating all the hard work that CnC Labs put into their mod, and thank them for utilizing Broken Wall Films to do their videos for them. We were really happy to get our hands in such a massively wonderful mod. We had a wonderful time setting up the familiar C&C video style, and unwrapping the whole story in video format, and we couldn't wait to play the mod, the wait is finally over!

If I may selfishly take a moment to say, if you liked the videos we did there, see actors Rick Desilets and Matt Herron-Duranti of Mod Video Fame in the Broken Wall Films produced webseries Something Remote: www.SomethingRemote.com

Again, enjoy the mod for it's splendor and soak in the love and effort of CnC labs. Thank you.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Looks like some high quality work there. Kudos. That launch trailer was nothing short of wicked!