Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
Fantfourstic.
Looks dark, brooding, and far too serious. This is coming from someone who actually liked Man of Steel. The cast also look quite young, too young in Reed's case.
They are all way too young, but yes, Reed looks like he's 22. They also look way too emo or hip or whatever and all way too attractive.

It's obvious some casting director went "These kids look like they could be the next hot thing, throw 'em in the movie!"

Honestly, the age stuff may seem trivial, but I don't really think it is. Part of what makes it work is that Reed and Ben are significantly older (yes, even though Reed is dating and marries Sue he's at least 8 to 10 years older than her) and more "experienced" at life than Johnny and Sue and that dynamic is actually important because it establishes the authority and reliability of Reed and Ben as "mentors" in a way, with Johnny and Sue taking on the role of the "every man" or reader replacement. The siblings are actually just different interpretations of "What would you do if you got super powers?" Johnny is reckless and silly and Sue is the opposite, cautious and responsible. These dynamics are so important that they actually carry over from the original stories of the team to today.

It really seems that the people who keep doing these adaptions don't have the basic premise down at all. This is not a "team of equals", it's a family with all that entails - with different characters assuming different family roles over time and with those roles either being played entirely straight, or subverted, as the story calls for.

I'm really annoyed by this since FF is one of my favorite books (along with Dare Devil - hope that the tv series doesn't stink). They could do so much more with this.