Fantasy Maps: What's the best one?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I was looking over fantasy maps, as any healthy adult human might, and noticed how every bloody one follows one of two trends:

or

Basically a) is for your Redwalls and your Eragons and whatever. TVtropes calls it a "Left justified map", where there is a big sea on the left and the rest is a big land mass with the good bits on the west and the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys in the East. b) Borrows heavily from reality, in that you have the snowy bit up north, the temperate bit in the middle, and (err) the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys again in the East. In games its a step worse in that these land masses immediately switch from one biome to another without any concession to realistic geography or climate. Writers aren't geographers or cartographers, they are guys who need a bad thing looming off in the distance, away from their calm, green, ersatz European medieval setting, and as a result, fantasy maps tend to fall into obvious categories.

Anyway, I find all this kind of boring to look at. What would you say is the best fantasy map? My favourite would actually be from Zenoclash:

Because a map traditionally isn't just functional. Historically they reflect the society that made them, the limitations of their knowledge, and the failures of their measuring tools which is often why countries are way out of proportion and there is an unusual art style employed to emphasise things of cultural significance, like this Medieval map of the world [http://lisadeam.com/medieval-maps/] (for reference, Jerusalem is in the middle, England in the North West, and a few bible locations for good measure). That map isn't attempting to accurately represent the World, it is a religious tool used by priests.

They recognise this in Xenoclash. The whole thing looks like a crude cave painting and is deliberately abstracted to show the sections of the game world that are important. It makes no effort to actually capture what the fantasy setting's contours would actually look like, instead it fills itself in as you go through the game, indicating thematically important locations. thus it communicates a lot better for sake of story, whilst avoiding making an overly familiar looking map.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
maninahat said:
Basically a) is for your Redwalls and your Eragons and whatever. TVtropes calls it a "Left justified map", where there is a big sea on the left and the rest is a big land mass with the good bits on the west and the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys in the East. b) Borrows heavily from reality, in that you have the snowy bit up north, the temperate bit in the middle, and (err) the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys again in the East.
Seems to me that in order to get most other fantasy maps to fit these categories, the descriptions would have to become vaguer and vaguer or there would have to be some very loose interpretation.

OT: I have the map of Westeros and Essos on my wall (spread across three posters), so I'm obviously very fond of that one.

Also quite (nostalgically) fond of the map of Tyria, from Guild Wars:

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Silvanus said:
maninahat said:
Basically a) is for your Redwalls and your Eragons and whatever. TVtropes calls it a "Left justified map", where there is a big sea on the left and the rest is a big land mass with the good bits on the west and the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys in the East. b) Borrows heavily from reality, in that you have the snowy bit up north, the temperate bit in the middle, and (err) the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys again in the East.
Seems to me that in order to get most other fantasy maps to fit these categories, the descriptions would have to become vaguer and vaguer or there would have to be some very loose interpretation.
Eh, it's not that vague. For instance, most fantasy settings depict the North as being frozen and the south as warm, and with North at the top and the South at the bottom, very specifically matching Europe's geography. It's playing off this archetype, even though there is no obligation to either ape such a specific directions, or even use Europe as an inspiration in the first place. Westeros is even more specific, loosely resembling an exaggerated British Isles, complete with a Hadrian's wall equivalent to block off the cold, inhospitable bit.

Kind of unrelated to my original post, but I also love how Thief plays with its local maps. You can tell looking at them that the protagonist has pinched blueprints, or simply scrawled together a loose outline of the building whilst he was hanging around outside. Again, the map is being used in game to world build, rather than provide a 100% accurate image that the characters would never have access to. It always seems like a wasted opportunity whenever writers create a generic looking setting for readers refer to.

Aug 31, 2012
I won't make a judgement as to the best, but my favourite has to be the Warhammer old world, probably because I've spent a lot of time in it, figuratively speaking. To say it "borrows rather heavily from reality" would be a bt of an understatement.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
maninahat said:
Eh, it's not that vague. For instance, most fantasy settings depict the North as being frozen and the south as warm, and with North at the top and the South at the bottom, very specifically matching Europe's geography. It's playing off this archetype, even though there is no obligation to either ape such a specific directions, or even use Europe as an inspiration in the first place. Westeros is even more specific, loosely resembling an exaggerated British Isles, complete with a Hadrian's wall equivalent to block off the cold, inhospitable bit.
Well, aye, but that's because Westeros is intentionally evoking the British isles-- the author has stated as much. The same cannot really be said for those which are not directly taking their inspiration from Earth's geography.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zykon TheLich said:
I won't make a judgement as to the best, but my favourite has to be the Warhammer old world, probably because I've spent a lot of time in it, figuratively speaking. To say it "borrows rather heavily from reality" would be a bt of an understatement.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/shdmotwow.html
Yeah, shame it got blown up.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
maninahat said:
Basically a) is for your Redwalls and your Eragons and whatever. TVtropes calls it a "Left justified map", where there is a big sea on the left and the rest is a big land mass with the good bits on the west and the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys in the East.
That...doesn't really apply to Eragon.

Big sea to the left? Sure. One single land mass? Sure. However, while there is a desert to the east, there's also one to the south, and the really shitty stuff (the Empire) is focused in the west, with its centre of power to the north. Meanwhile the elves are in the northeast, the dwarfs in the southeast, and Surda (a 'good' country that defies the Empire) is to the south.

Zykon TheLich said:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammerfb/images/c/c7/Warhammer_olde_world_map.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130917163104

The whole world borrows from reality.

Or rather "borrowed" because:

Thaluikhain said:
This.

Aug 31, 2012
Hawki said:
The whole world borrows from reality.
Yah, I know. I probably should have been more specific that that particular version was my favourite thanks to being the glorious overmap that some wonderfull person put together for WHFRP V2.

Thaluikhain said:
Hawki said:
Thaluikhain said:
This.
Shhh. Stop reminding me. Like most things, if I put my fingers in my ears and close my eyes and think hard enough I can still pretend it's the 90's.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Well I mean, the reason for the "Left Justified Map" is because it's likely European-oriented fantasy. And what is Europe? Sea to the west, maybe water to the south (or a desert), cold sea or lands to the north, and to the east is solid land of another continent. So technically that is also realistic, in that it is only the "KNOWN" world instead of the WHOLE world.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Tanis said:
I like the Dragonlance map.
(Looks at username...huh)

My problem with that is that it doesn't fit the story very well. Or the story doesn't fit the map. Some important places are either too isolated, or not isolated enough.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Though my opinion of The Elder Scrolls as a series has varied over time (and will almost certainly continue to do so), I've always liked Tamriel as a setting.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
maninahat said:
I was looking over fantasy maps, as any healthy adult human might, and noticed how every bloody one follows one of two trends:

Basically a) is for your Redwalls and your Eragons and whatever. TVtropes calls it a "Left justified map", where there is a big sea on the left and the rest is a big land mass with the good bits on the west and the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys in the East. b) Borrows heavily from reality, in that you have the snowy bit up north, the temperate bit in the middle, and (err) the deserts, exotic stuff and bad guys again in the East. In games its a step worse in that these land masses immediately switch from one biome to another without any concession to realistic geography or climate. Writers aren't geographers or cartographers, they are guys who need a bad thing looming off in the distance, away from their calm, green, ersatz European medieval setting, and as a result, fantasy maps tend to fall into obvious categories.
There's a few things you're overlooking. Although it is true that fantasy map makers tend to not be professional cartographers versed in proper map theory, they also don't tend to be writers. They're artists, either making their own project or, more likely, taking a commission for a writer's project. As such, artists tend to follow the common rules of art as applied to the particular criteria of the specific project. "Left-justified" maps, for instance, are not just popular because Lord of the Rings sets a famous precedent (although of course precedent is an important factor, as it is in all things, as success tends to follow success). And its not just because of some Euro-centric worldview with snide overtones of racism. It follows artistic theory in the way humans are most likely to first read a piece of art: left to right reading cultures' eyes will begin in the top left corner, and move diagonally to the bottom right, with an eventual neutral resting spot just above center. As such, the left side of the work, particularly the upper part, should not be the most visually busy part of the map, as it will push too much at the reader too fast. As such, important metadata, such as a title, is often placed at the top left, to introduce the map, with the rest of the map unfolding from there (although this rule is very open to bending, as per the needs of the map, you can find the title anywhere along the margins on the top or the left; you'll still very rarely see it on the right, especially the bottom right). Titles and such display best with an ocean for a backdrop, to emphasize the title.

This is also why the "good guys" tend to be in the middle or west/north, and the "bad guys" the east/south. Because that fulfills dramatic convention as a piece of narrative art best; introduce the world at the beginning of where people will read first, then show them the people/places they're supposed to care about second, then introduce the conflict last. It's simply artistic design. The Middle-Earth design is pretty much the epitome of this, as the way a reader will first read a map will follow Frodo's journey from beginning to end whilst feeling very natural; it is very much a thing of brilliance.

As for "faux-realistic" maps, yes, artists are not geographers. They are extremely unlikely to be able to articulate what makes a "realistic" map for a general reference guide. Indeed, going back to Lord of the Rings, the area where Mirkwood is should probably be as dry as Tibet, what with the mountain ranges blocking sea winds. This is why, when the job is to provide a map meant to be an
accurate general reference, rather than a straight story telling tool, it is far simpler to rip something off of real world geography. We're all so familiar with our world's map that even though few of us can articulate what real geography is, we do have an instinct for it. If you try to make a map from scratch with no knowledge of geography, it is gonna feel very fake very quick, like... just about all overworlds in every JRPG, at least the ones I've played. Or even the Lord of the Rings map, with its Mordor that's a box of mountain ranges with an inland sea that flows away from the ocean. If you simply take bits and pieces of real world geography, you'll end up cobbling something together that at least maintains a degree of verisimilitude, and naturally, media from the West is going to follow a Western perspective of geography if that's what they're instinctively familiar with. Major inspirations from the US and Europe.

So that's what it comes down to: people unfamiliar with the scientific principles of a subject asked to portray that subject are going to fall back onto the tools that they are familiar with, and over enough iterations there will very naturally be similar patterns in the outcome because everybody is filtering their inputs through the same pattern called "rules of art".

Maps that don't follow these rules tend to either be a) a move away from how geography is presented contemporary (either taking cues from some form of map from history, or going full hog on making a map a piece of art rather than as any useful tool), or b) a fucking mess, to a lesser or greater degree. Most fantasy maps are not brilliant pieces of narrative design. They muddle their message through not following rules on how the reader will read the map, or there'll be extraneous detail that creates distraction, or they won't follow "figures and grounds" theory wherein important features are emphasized whilst background features are de-emphasized, etc. The map may still function in the end, but lots of people are gonna skip over it as not being informative enough, quickly enough. Not even my precious Middle Earth map is immune to this criticism; Tolkien's original publications muddle the map too much with large print region names that distract from smaller labels that are actually much more relevant to the story.

maninahat said:
Because a map traditionally isn't just functional. Historically they reflect the society that made them, the limitations of their knowledge, and the failures of their measuring tools which is often why countries are way out of proportion and there is an unusual art style employed to emphasise things of cultural significance, like this Medieval map of the world [http://lisadeam.com/medieval-maps/] (for reference, Jerusalem is in the middle, England in the North West, and a few bible locations for good measure). That map isn't attempting to accurately represent the World, it is a religious tool used by priests.
That is a misrepresentation of historical intentions. Of course maps were meant to be functional. Reading historical maps for the perspective of their creators and users like an art piece is an inherently modernist perspective. It took months or years and lots of expensive ink and expertise to make those overly complex things, and they looked like ass. There wasn't even a point to them being decorative, given that they still relied on the reader having basic literacy, not a guarantee even amongst nobility for a long, long time.

Just because there was no science to maps doesn't mean that they weren't meant to be functional. Absolute geographic relationships are of course impossible to expect from most historical maps. But that doesn't mean that there was no value in displaying relative relationships. If Anglemesh is the first town along the road going out of the north of Jerusalem, a map with a road going to the north of Jerusalem with Anglemesh being the first town along it is quite good enough for finding Anglemesh from Jerusalem, or for having an idea that Anglemesh is north of Jerusalem when you get a letter in from the Crusades saying that they're in Anglemesh. Even for the classic less detailed T-O maps, it showed the relative position of the known continents with Jerusalem at their crossroads, a great visualization aid.

maninahat said:
They recognise this in Xenoclash. The whole thing looks like a crude cave painting and is deliberately abstracted to show the sections of the game world that are important. It makes no effort to actually capture what the fantasy setting's contours would actually look like, instead it fills itself in as you go through the game, indicating thematically important locations. thus it communicates a lot better for sake of story, whilst avoiding making an overly familiar looking map.
I'm certain that I've seen an ancient real world map that that fantasy map almost certainly rips off. Can't find it for the life of me, though. It was made from pictograms; I'm pretty sure it was Mesopotamian, but Google searches for "ancient Mesopotamian maps" are only going to find a bunch of contemporary maps depicting the bounds of Mesopotamia. It was a rectangle, with a line of mountains down one side, a line of a river down the other, and a line of forest... maybe along the top, but maybe also by the river, I can't recall. The items in the center were depicted in mostly equal sized rectangles. I have a hard time believing that Xenoclash wasn't directly inspired by it, only replacing the pictograms with a faux-historical Japanese drawing style.

It's true what they say, that great art steals.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
SupahEwok said:
maninahat said:

There's a few things you're overlooking. Although it is true that fantasy map makers tend to not be professional cartographers versed in proper map theory, they also don't tend to be writers. They're artists, either making their own project or, more likely, taking a commission for a writer's project. As such, artists tend to follow the common rules of art as applied to the particular criteria of the specific project. "Left-justified" maps, for instance, are not just popular because Lord of the Rings sets a famous precedent (although of course precedent is an important factor, as it is in all things, as success tends to follow success). And its not just because of some Euro-centric worldview with snide overtones of racism. It follows artistic theory in the way humans are most likely to first read a piece of art: left to right reading cultures' eyes will begin in the top left corner, and move diagonally to the bottom right, with an eventual neutral resting spot just above center. As such, the left side of the work, particularly the upper part, should not be the most visually busy part of the map, as it will push too much at the reader too fast. As such, important metadata, such as a title, is often placed at the top left, to introduce the map, with the rest of the map unfolding from there (although this rule is very open to bending, as per the needs of the map, you can find the title anywhere along the margins on the top or the left; you'll still very rarely see it on the right, especially the bottom right). Titles and such display best with an ocean for a backdrop, to emphasize the title.

This is also why the "good guys" tend to be in the middle or west/north, and the "bad guys" the east/south. Because that fulfills dramatic convention as a piece of narrative art best; introduce the world at the beginning of where people will read first, then show them the people/places they're supposed to care about second, then introduce the conflict last. It's simply artistic design. The Middle-Earth design is pretty much the epitome of this, as the way a reader will first read a map will follow Frodo's journey from beginning to end whilst feeling very natural; it is very much a thing of brilliance.

As for "faux-realistic" maps, yes, artists are not geographers. They are extremely unlikely to be able to articulate what makes a "realistic" map for a general reference guide. Indeed, going back to Lord of the Rings, the area where Mirkwood is should probably be as dry as Tibet, what with the mountain ranges blocking sea winds. This is why, when the job is to provide a map meant to be an
accurate general reference, rather than a straight story telling tool, it is far simpler to rip something off of real world geography. We're all so familiar with our world's map that even though few of us can articulate what real geography is, we do have an instinct for it. If you try to make a map from scratch with no knowledge of geography, it is gonna feel very fake very quick, like... just about all overworlds in every JRPG, at least the ones I've played. Or even the Lord of the Rings map, with its Mordor that's a box of mountain ranges with an inland sea that flows away from the ocean. If you simply take bits and pieces of real world geography, you'll end up cobbling something together that at least maintains a degree of verisimilitude, and naturally, media from the West is going to follow a Western perspective of geography if that's what they're instinctively familiar with. Major inspirations from the US and Europe.

So that's what it comes down to: people unfamiliar with the scientific principles of a subject asked to portray that subject are going to fall back onto the tools that they are familiar with, and over enough iterations there will very naturally be similar patterns in the outcome because everybody is filtering their inputs through the same pattern called "rules of art".

Maps that don't follow these rules tend to either be a) a move away from how geography is presented contemporary (either taking cues from some form of map from history, or going full hog on making a map a piece of art rather than as any useful tool), or b) a fucking mess, to a lesser or greater degree. Most fantasy maps are not brilliant pieces of narrative design. They muddle their message through not following rules on how the reader will read the map, or there'll be extraneous detail that creates distraction, or they won't follow "figures and grounds" theory wherein important features are emphasized whilst background features are de-emphasized, etc. The map may still function in the end, but lots of people are gonna skip over it as not being informative enough, quickly enough. Not even my precious Middle Earth map is immune to this criticism; Tolkien's original publications muddle the map too much with large print region names that distract from smaller labels that are actually much more relevant to the story.

maninahat said:
That is a misrepresentation of historical intentions. Of course maps were meant to be functional. Reading historical maps for the perspective of their creators and users like an art piece is an inherently modernist perspective. It took months or years and lots of expensive ink and expertise to make those overly complex things, and they looked like ass. There wasn't even a point to them being decorative, given that they still relied on the reader having basic literacy, not a guarantee even amongst nobility for a long, long time.

Just because there was no science to maps doesn't mean that they weren't meant to be functional. Absolute geographic relationships are of course impossible to expect from most historical maps. But that doesn't mean that there was no value in displaying relative relationships. If Anglemesh is the first town along the road going out of the north of Jerusalem, a map with a road going to the north of Jerusalem with Anglemesh being the first town along it is quite good enough for finding Anglemesh from Jerusalem, or for having an idea that Anglemesh is north of Jerusalem when you get a letter in from the Crusades saying that they're in Anglemesh. Even for the classic less detailed T-O maps, it showed the relative position of the known continents with Jerusalem at their crossroads, a great visualization aid.

maninahat said:
I'm certain that I've seen an ancient real world map that that fantasy map almost certainly rips off. Can't find it for the life of me, though. It was made from pictograms; I'm pretty sure it was Mesopotamian, but Google searches for "ancient Mesopotamian maps" are only going to find a bunch of contemporary maps depicting the bounds of Mesopotamia. It was a rectangle, with a line of mountains down one side, a line of a river down the other, and a line of forest... maybe along the top, but maybe also by the river, I can't recall. The items in the center were depicted in mostly equal sized rectangles. I have a hard time believing that Xenoclash wasn't directly inspired by it, only replacing the pictograms with a faux-historical Japanese drawing style.

It's true what they say, that great art steals.
Thanks for the meaty post! You've got some interesting insights.

I think you might have misunderstood me when I said medieval maps "weren't just functional". I wasn't saying they were ever not functional, rather that they tended to serve other or additional purposes, such as the religious map I linked to above, which would have scarcely been used as a navigational chart but would have been helpful if you wanted to educate monks on locations of religious importance. Also, I was making the point that fantasy maps in books and games almost always show a perfectly accurate, modern atlas style maps of their settings (with some 'medievalish' fonts added). They do this instead of using something resembling the disproportionate, peculiar, imaginative, and often politically illuminating maps of the medieval period.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Xenoclash did pinch its map. The game already borrows a lot of its aesthetics from Dali and Gaudi works.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
It's not so much interesting insights as that my area of study includes cartography. I'm actually wrapping up my cartographic design class this semester.

Know what fantasy maps are *really* missing? Projections. That's how you can tell nobody doing them knows or cares much about the science behind maps.

Top is a map drawn straight from co-ordinates, bottom takes those co-ordinates and corrects them for the Earth's ellipsoidal curvature: the effect is most pronounced in the size of the northern states. I don't think I've ever, ever seen a fantasy map correct for curvature. So I can't ever take them as a reference map seriously anyways. Frankly, paying too much attention to fantasy maps now that I know something of map theory would probably drive me insane.