Far Cry 2 - Please tell me this game gets better soon...

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
So I finally got round to buying Far Cry 2, needing a new open world to explore after spending obscene amounts of time in Tamriel and The Capital Wasteland...

I've been at it for about 7 or 8 hours now, just finished the second mission and I would like to address a few issues and find out what other people made of them.

1. Save system -

Well, it's a complete disaster really, isn't it?

Having to drive around for 20 minutes after each death to get back to your mission... why couldn't they give us an autosave? Mission checkpoints? Safehouses with some healthpacks in them? Savepoints closer to the objectives?

2. Travelling-

Though travelling the Savannah is beautiful, it is fucking boring.

I have spent 90% of my time in this game driving around and having to stop to fight off some respawning assholes at guard checkpoints, and 10% actually doing missions.

I would not mind spending this amount of time exploring if there were anything interesting to discover, but so far it has just been more grass and trees and the odd zebra.

Restocking on your main weapons is a tedious, tiresome chore as every safehouse and weapons shop is miles away from the fast-travel bus stops, which means endless to-ing and fro-ing through those goddamn guard houses.

All of this could have been sorted out easily with an option to fast travel between safehouses or unlocked locations.

I realise that having no no fast-travel option can add to immersion (i.e. Morrowind) but in this case, when there is nothing to discover en-route except another goddamn jeep full of lunatics, it is just boring and devoid of fun.

So what I want to know is this:

Did anyone else have these issues?

Does it pick up later in the game? Do missions become longer and involve less travelling in between thier segments?

Should I persist or just bring it back to the shop and get Saints Row 2?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
People have often complained it's too sandbox, so I can see where you're coming from.

As I have yet to finish it, I can't honestly say if it gets better, but I did have a few fun missions once I got to the southern area.

Zani

May 14, 2008
Well they should change the name to Far Drive but I liked the game (as long as you were shooting at people), but I don't really think the world is worth exploring.

And yes you should get Saints Row 2 instead if you like the GTA sandbox formula more.
Or instead of Saints Row 2 you could get GTA IV if you haven't got it already.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Oh dear my friend, I'm sorry to say it does not get any better it only gets more tedious! It's a thinly disguised sandbox with nothing really interesting to do.

-Joe

Boxpopper

Feb 5, 2009
Jedoro said:
People have often complained it's too sandbox, so I can see where you're coming from.

As I have yet to finish it, I can't honestly say if it gets better, but I did have a few fun missions once I got to the southern area.
Its not even sandbox, because your choices make absolutely no affect on the world around you. Maybe it can teach game developers a lesson about the consequences of making a game too open world without enough content to fill all that space (metaphorically and literally).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
it gets worse dude

if you think the safe houses are far away now, you will /hate/ later on

i can't be bothered to complete mine

McHampton

Jun 25, 2009
I only really started enjoying it more when you get to the end and there is a decent linear stretch of gameplay.

I would have quit playing the game a lot sooner, but the environments were so pretty I enjoyed wandering around. Too bad the world is empty.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Zani said:
Well they should change the name to Far Drive but I liked the game (as long as you were shooting at people), but I don't really think the world is worth exploring.

And yes you should get Saints Row 2 instead if you like the GTA sandbox formula more.
Or instead of Saints Row 2 you could get GTA IV if you haven't got it already.
Yup, have GTA4 and liked it but found it a little too grey and devoid of silly mindless fun, hence the thoughts of getting Saints Row 2.

CrafterMan said:
Oh dear my friend, I'm sorry to say it does not get any better it only gets more tedious! It's a thinly disguised sandbox with nothing really interesting to do.

-Joe
That's what I was starting to think.

Man, it's frustrating being a gamer these days... so many almost great games.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Boxpopper said:
Jedoro said:

Its not even sandbox, because your choices make absolutely no affect on the world around you. Maybe it can teach game developers a lesson about the consequences of making a game too open world without enough content to fill all that space (metaphorically and literally).
I guess "open-ended" would've fit better, in retrospect, eh?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
McHampton said:
I only really started enjoying it more when you get to the end and there is a decent linear stretch of gameplay.

I would have quit playing the game a lot sooner, but the environments were so pretty I enjoyed wandering around. Too bad the world is empty.
I actually think the game would have been ten times better if they had made it a linear shooter without the sandbox pretensions.

Boxpopper

Feb 5, 2009
Jedoro said:
Boxpopper said:
Jedoro said:

Yeah. If a game is too sandboxy then it becomes void of story and its all about creation and impact- like Garrysmod or SimCity. And that isn't bad. Farcry 2 is void of sandbox elements- its just one big savanna plotted with buildings and bad guys, and a story you can follow.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Boxpopper said:
Jedoro said:
Boxpopper said:
Jedoro said:

Yeah. If a game is too sandboxy then it becomes void of story and its all about creation and impact- like Garrysmod or SimCity. And that isn't bad. Farcry 2 is void of sandbox elements- its just one big savanna plotted with buildings and bad guys, and a story you can follow.
It's pretty, though. I hop in something offroad-capable and barely ever use the roads, so I can avoid the respawning jackasses who shoot at me, and see the scenery more.

This usually ends up with me flipping my car off some cliff I never knew was there, though.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I got to Act 2 and played around some more there till I found out that I STILL had to grind more mission of the same type.
Screw it I say and uninstalled the game and never looked back.

It was good the first 2-4 hours or so but after that it goes downhill pretty quick.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
did you buy this for the pc or consoles?
If you brought it for the pc, try finding mod sites to expand gameplay. Like for FO3 and The Elder Scrolls has a popular mod community.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/ ... Elder Scrolls
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/ ...FO3

I haven't found a good mod community site for farcry 2.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Seems pretty unanimous amongst gamers here...

Funny, how it got great reviews from almost every major source.

Then again, so did Prince of Persia.

Ubisoft must be sending chocolate cakes and cocaine to critics.

McHampton

Jun 25, 2009
miracleofsound said:
Seemspretty unanimous amonst gamers here...

Funny how it got great reviews in almost every major source.

Then agin, so did Prince of Persia.

Ubisoft must be sending chocolate cakes and cocaine to critics.
Well Far Cry 2 and Prince of Persia both had one good thing in common:

They were both gorgeous to look at. Maybe that's all critics care about.