Far Cry 3 looks like a mix of 1 and 2

Hellsen

Feb 11, 2011
Game look decent but

"Did I ever tell you the definitional of stupidity, stupidity is killing someone via an inconvenient method leaving him with a chance of escaping when you can just load an bullet into his head, than doing that again when fall into you captivity again whilst questioning you sanity, when you really should question your intelligence.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Cover system. Check. Machetes that don't give away your position every fucking time you slap someone with them. Check.

Yep, they pretty much fixed the major problems I had with FC 2. As long as they don't screw anything up, I'll be pretty happy with this.

Edit: Okay, who thought it would be a good idea for enemies to show up on the minimap?

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Hellsen said:
Game look decent but

"Did I ever tell you the definitional of stupidity, stupidity is killing someone via an inconvenient method leaving him with a chance of escaping when you can just load an bullet into his head, than doing that again when fall into you captivity again whilst questioning you sanity, when you really should question your intelligence.
It's not like he put Batman into a death trap or something.

They obviously enjoy fucking with people before they kill them. Faced with some random guy who obviously isn't some deranged multi-millionaire with a fetish for putting on tights and fighting crime, they just fuck with him and kill him in what is likely a pretty horrifying and fairly prolonged way.

Could be worse, they could have hung them with a rope that only allows them to stand on their tip-toes. Sooner or later, you can no longer support your weight that way and when your body fails you, you choke to death on the noose. And, yes, this is an actual way that people have been killed by some psycho just fucking with people.

The whole point of these people is to terrorize their victims, not to kill them. He probably thinks the look on their face when they realize the weight is going in the water and they'll be following it is priceless.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
You'd think after all this time, these bad guys would learn to stop stockpiling giant barrels of explosives all over their bases :p

Gameplay-wise it looks like Far Cry 2 (maybe even using an update to Dunia?), setting looks like Far Cry. Other than that it doesn't look related to either, aside from the fact that you're a white guy who kills people.

Only bad thing I have to say is NPC enemy variation looks to be non-existent. Well, that an the story will probably wind up being more or less your same hackneyed shooter action movie plot.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 2. Unique setting, somewhat unique story. The only thing didn't like was all the back-and-forth driving around doing carbon copy missions. If this could improve upon that in some way it would be fantastic.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Never played the originals (don't really have a gaming PC yet. I know that they are on consoles, but I would rather play the games on the system they are meant to be played on, not the crappy ports), but this one has at least peaked my interest, mainly because of the villain. He sounds delightfully chilling, cold, and just a bit paranoid schizophrenic (holy crap I spelled schizophrenic right without having to use spellcheck!). "Have I ever told you the definition of insanity" indeed.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Brilliant. I loved Far Cry 2, and it looks like they've still got a brilliant antagonist. Glad it's back to the Jungle too, those were always the best parts of Far Cry games.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya after the turd that was Far Cry 2 I'm keeping my distance from these games, but it's only a matter of time till it lands in the bargain bin.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
THAT LOOKS AMAZING!
I can't wait.
Did it say if its going to come out on 360, or do I have to hurry up and finish my build?

I love how it give you the option to try to break free while he keeps telling you the definition of insanity.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Flailing Escapist said:
The A.I. looks a lot more thick too. Which is a good improvement.
Yeah, they seem to lack the perfect aim and can't see you through bushes anymore, which is nice.

Kargathia said:
SalamanderJoe said:
Oooooh...I heard FC3 was going to be in an arctic environment. Still looks good. Like who its an average joe rather than an ex-soldier turned merc.
If that kind of familiarity with combat is your definition of an average joe: I'd rather not know how your day at the office looks like.
I have a feeling that he's some kind of crisis area journalist, you know, the camera. I sure as shit would learn a ton of fighting techniques and shooting if I'm going to go walk into some african or eastern european civil war

They're definitely in the Pacific. Nothing like a crashed zero as a blow to the head that "THIS IS IN THE PACIFIC."

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
PLEASE bring back the feral powers. I loved that part of number one... Didn't liek how you had drive across the map and stop to wipe out 10 enemy check points along the way... It was too slow... I prefer the linear yet open far cry 1 feel

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Looks awesome, also seems they fixed the broken stealth and the nearly indestructible enemies, can't wait to see how the experience sytem works out or whatever that was.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
That was pretty impressive.

But why does the photographer have military skills on Par with the Spetsnaz?

I liked the characterization from that. Everybody is insane, so it leaves a good "Oh fuck" experience.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I wasn't particularly impressed by FC2, but I think I'll give this a chance because it looks awesome. Still surprised that the mutants and stuff completely disappeared though, and I doubt this one will have any. But the environments look more like what that Crytek engine was developed for, huge, beautiful and rough islands with insane foliage and sparkling beaches. And yes, that antagonist looks truly insane, I'm looking forward to some cat-and-mouse hunting on that island. I hope the driving isn't broken up as often as having to clear out or shoot someone off your tail every 30 seconds, that got rather tiring quite quickly.

I wonder what people are hoping to get more out of this...large island exploration? More sandbox type gameplay? More stealth?

One thing FC2 definitely got right is the hybrid health regen/med kit thing, that was surprisingly effective and awesome. The heal yourself cutscenes were the BEST.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
What I want in this game: A functional stealth mechanic. Yeah, Farcry 2 had silenced weapons, but it was still bloody stupid how quickly everyone within a quarter mile knew where you were the moment you fired a round.

Less driving. This is what really broke Far Cry 2 for me. Yes, the land scape is beautiful, but I didn't come to this game to look at pretty scenery, I came to this game to look at pretty scenery and kill things in it. Also, unpredictable, repetitive patrols coupled with outposts that fill up with replacement soldiers stupidly fast need to go.

Enemies need to take less bullets before death. There were times where I pumped half a magazine into a dude and he was still up. Glitch or no, that needs to be fixed.

Far Cry 2 was wasted potential to me, and I hope the third entry will show that Crytek has learned their lesson.

Hukari

Mar 8, 2011
My major complaint with the Farcry series so far is...

LET SNEAKING BE USEFUL. I swear, enemies could see you halfway across the map if you so much as thought about firing a silenced weapon at them. They were like "*BOOM* OH HE'S OVER THERE WHICH EVERYONE NOW MAGICALLY KNOWS."

Et cetera.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
SalamanderJoe said:
Like who its an average joe rather than an ex-soldier turned merc.
Did you not catch the part where he stealthfully stabbed a dude in the chest, and then threw the knife at another guy with deadly accuracy, all in one fluid motion? That is not your average joe.

I predict the plot twist: YOU WERE INSANE ALL ALONG! MUHAHAHA

kemosabi4

May 12, 2009
Superior Mind said:
Far Cry 2 remains my "biggest disappointment" game. So much potential made irritating by cuts and bad decisions. Brilliant setting, it looked fantastic, had fun enough game play and you could find yourself in some particularly fun and exciting situations as well as a couple of good set pieces. All this brought down by lazy and very vindictive AI, repetition, lack of choice or feeling of having any impact, stupid plot points, pointless gameplay lengtheners, (Malaria? really?) guns that disintegrate and a lackluster and unsatisfying ending that gave me the impression that everyone had just given up and gone home early. I didn't even mind the driving which was a big criticism of some others, I just didn't like how it was broken up constantly by everyone wanting to tear you a new arsehole for no reason.

Far Cry 3? Uhh... I don't feel like giving it another chance, I really don't. Still, I'll keep an eye on it.
I completely agree with all of your points, but I feel that the gameplay and environments made up for a large amount of the flaws. There was definitely plenty of negatives, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
ultrachicken said:
SalamanderJoe said:
Like who its an average joe rather than an ex-soldier turned merc.
Did you not catch the part where he stealthfully stabbed a dude in the chest, and then threw the knife at another guy with deadly accuracy, all in one fluid motion? That is not your average joe.

I predict the plot twist: YOU WERE INSANE ALL ALONG! MUHAHAHA
Yeah, those are some pretty mad rambo skills for an average Joe! I really like the knife throwing and silent kills, that is what true stealth is. Contrary to popular belief, a silenced pistol can probably still be heard within quite a large distance, they don't silence a weapon to be almost heard, it only makes it harder to tell where the shot came from.

Which is something that should still affect the AI mind you, I know in FC2 every mofo in the continent could pinpoint your location if you so much as turn the safety off, so this could be something to take into account given the large locations and ample flanking opportunities.

kemosabi4

May 12, 2009
Hukari said:
My major complaint with the Farcry series so far is...

LET SNEAKING BE USEFUL. I swear, enemies could see you halfway across the map if you so much as thought about firing a silenced weapon at them. They were like "*BOOM* OH HE'S OVER THERE WHICH EVERYONE NOW MAGICALLY KNOWS."

Et cetera.
Did you watch the video? This looks like one of the stealthiest stealth games to stealth stealthily into the stealth game market.