Far Cry 4 to send one lucky contest winner to their death

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
This may be the most ridiculous reward for a contest I've ever seen. One lucky winner will get to climb mount everest [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsOg6HgDHiQ] to be the first person to play video games there. The "winner" gets to go hiking in the Himalayas, carrying a console specially designed to withstand the conditions on Mount Everest. It's unclear whether the supposed team of experts are just there to keep whatever jackass actually agreed to this from dying or if some expedition ran out of cash and got real desperate. Between the general physical shape of the kind of person who'd enter this and the fact that they're climbing through the fucking Himalayas I suspect this is all gonna end something like this [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STymVjlysmg].

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
are they actually going to climb Everest?

like Everest Everest?

because I've watched some storied on "mountain tourism" and....this seems kinda bullshit

aside from the fact that the place is full of junk and rubbish a doctor who lives there treated rich tourists who weren't cut out for the trip alongside the locals/sherpers.....she was pissed that rich people could just come down and convinetly get lifted out by helicopter

firebobm173

Jul 11, 2013
Vault101 said:
are they actually going to climb Everest?

like Everest Everest?

because I've watched some storied on "mountain tourism" and....this seems kinda bullshit

aside from the fact that the place is full of junk and rubbish a doctor who lives there treated rich tourists who weren't cut out for the trip alongside the locals/sherpers.....she was pissed that rich people could just come down and convinetly get lifted out by helicopter
While we don't know how far up they'll be going the video says that the person who wins the contest will be the first person to ever play video games on mountain everest. Regardless of how far they go I still can't see this ending well at all.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That actually sounds pretty awesome, I'd be down for it. Also, it doesn't say how far up Everest they'll even be going, so I'm pretty sure they don't mean to climb all the way to the top of Everest. There is a base-camp at Everest, and multiple smaller camps that go along it, so I'm sure they'll probably just go from the bottom to one of the base-camps and be done with it. Nothing particularly dangerous. Also, I'm fairly sure that anyone who wins the contest will have to undergo an evaluation by a physician to even be able to go. Ubisoft doesn't want bad press from someone dying because of them.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Does climbing Everest have something to do with better ping with servers? because you're closer to the cloud?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
firebobm173 said:
... carrying a console specially designed to withstand the conditions on Mount Everest.
Huh? That... Would be pretty awesome to have.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Space Butterfly said:
Cool to have but when the hell are you gonna need to use it up a mountain?
I'm also guessing that in addition to the cold temperatures, the console will also be made to be incredibly durable as well.

To be fair though, I've heard that this time around, the Xbox One's are actually built to last. (assuming they're using that console instead of the PS4) So I don't know how much more durable they can make it if so.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
I heard about this awhile ago, you're not actually climbing to Everest's peak, you're going to the base camp. And some dude already brought his DS to the actual peak years ago.

EDIT: Here we go.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/25/ubisoft-announces-far-cry-4-competition-quest-for-everest

"Ubisoft will be sending a team of trekkers to Nepal, where Far Cry 4 is set, to hike to Mount Everest's Base Camp and play the game from the mountain's slopes."

http://kotaku.com/sorry-ubisoft-nintendo-beat-you-to-the-top-of-the-mou-1610576645

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Yeah... a climb to the top of the mountain would have just been stupid. People have died trying to do that shit. The base camp is a lot more reasonable, though I'd be damned if I wanted to go.