Far Cry 6 news

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Probably because the game doesn't take place in the US? So they are more comfortable being political when it's a game about some tropical banana republic style setting. Is it an actual country? I don't even know. I just assumed it was MexiCubaragua, the fictional, non-denominational hispanic country in fiction. It does seem like their games that take place in actual, REAL places, they are more prone to pull the "not political" card to get out of criticism.

Or maybe they aren't worried about pissing off a country of brown people because they don't give a shit about them. *shrugs* Who knows.
All the above. Like I said before, they are cowards. At least Machine Games actually try with the Wolfenstein games. They had the balls.

Reactions: happyninja42

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I am fairly confident that I'll enjoy FC6 just as much as the previous FC games. But then I am one of those deviants that find the UbiGame to be great relaxation games.
Far Cry has been the exception for me. the rest of their games have too much artificial grinding to be enjoyable. I liked what they were trying to do with The Division, but I got tired of swapping out gear constantly for minor improvements to artificial stats. I like my videogame bad guys to actually die when I headshot them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The story gave me the impression of a juvenile and absurdist take on the branch davidians and was mildly entertaining in it's own way.
I find that take interesting, since I've literally heard real people make religious claims very similar to the tripe from the Seed family in FC 5.

But honestly, the davidians WERE juvenile and absurdist, so that would track in a lot of ways.

Far Cry has been the exception for me. the rest of their games have too much artificial grinding to be enjoyable. I liked what they were trying to do with The Division, but I got tired of swapping out gear constantly for minor improvements to artificial stats. I like my videogame bad guys to actually die when I headshot them.
Yeah the core game loop of the FC series is one I do enjoy. With the emphasis on stealth, it tickles my Thief DNA a lot. I find the franchise as a whole very strange, and all over the place regarding tone and stuff. But overall I think it's an enjoyable game line.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I find that take interesting, since I've literally heard real people make religious claims very similar to the tripe from the Seed family in FC 5.

But honestly, the davidians WERE juvenile and absurdist, so that would track in a lot of ways.
Indeed yeah, but take the davidians and give them an even more cartoony and hipster makeover and you basically have FC5's Seeds. You can be juvenile and absurdist but still take yourself seriously inside your own delusional reality like the davidians did with actual deadly consequences. The seeds were too far removed from any credibility by basically being a parody of it's real world inspirations. They were too artficial and constructed to be anything other than a cartoony mock up. But I think that was probably the intent given the fact that a popular videogame ofcourse needs to be as inoffensive as possible to not alienate players and hurt sales. I don't think FC6 will be any different.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Indeed yeah, but take the davidians and give them an even more cartoony and hipster makeover and you basically have FC5's Seeds. You can be juvenile and absurdist but still take yourself seriously inside your own delusional reality like the davidians did with actual deadly consequences. The seeds were too far removed from any credibility by basically being a parody of it's real world inspirations. They were too artficial and constructed to be anything other than a cartoony mock up. But I think that was probably the intent given the fact that a popular videogame ofcourse needs to be as inoffensive as possible to not alienate players and hurt sales. I don't think FC6 will be any different.
Again, I don't see them being "too far removed from their real world inspirations." They are pretty frighteningly on point for a significant portion of that group. I think the difference is that unconsciously, the real religious wackos, KNOW deep down, that a lot of the unspoken stuff they proclaim, is fucked up, so they don't say it out loud. They don't directly make the connections in what they say they believe should be, and what that logically means will happen, as a result. And I know this, because when people directly confront them about those points, and address them, and question them about what they preach and what it means, and lay it out in plain terms, they will do everything in their power to avoid answering. Because if they agree, they know they look like the monsters they are, and if they deny it, they are giving false witness before their god.

The Seeds were very much like that one religious group that goes around and protests funerals, and claims "God hates fags." They have just fully embraced the barbarism of their own faith, and think it's the bees knees. The Seeds were no different from what I saw.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
To add to the conversation about machine games, where they screwed up was Wolfenstein: Youngbloods. Ironically enough, that game plays like a worst version of an Ubisoft Far Cry game. There's RPG mechanics like New Dawn, but even worse, and it needs constantly respawn, and the gameplay just gets tedious and monotonous after a while.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I am curious, given that Dani is female in the newest trailer, if they are doing the "you can pick your gender" thing they usually do, and instead of giving you a title like "Rook" or "Cap" from New Dawn, they decided on a fairly gender neutral name. Given the Dani in the first teaser trailer seemed to be male, it's either a course correction mid development (which is fine by me), or they just did the first trailer with a son, but made the poster character be FemDani, once the game was actually worked and fleshed out. And actually did 2 different voice actor files, accordingly.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I am curious, given that Dani is female in the newest trailer, if they are doing the "you can pick your gender" thing they usually do, and instead of giving you a title like "Rook" or "Cap" from New Dawn, they decided on a fairly gender neutral name. Given the Dani in the first teaser trailer seemed to be male, it's either a course correction mid development (which is fine by me), or they just did the first trailer with a son, but made the poster character be FemDani, once the game was actually worked and fleshed out. And actually did 2 different voice actor files, accordingly.
I think it's a course correction. I recall the protagonist being male original as well, though not to be confused with the dictators son who apparently is a character but is not the protagonist this time around. To be honest it feels a bit like virtua signaling to capture the demographic while being cowardly about it like they're afraid to alienate their macho audience that would refuse to play as a female protagonist. That said, I think it's a smart move for the long term. Contextually the main characters sex in Far Cry has never really contributed to the story. Making them male was likely just a logistical choice. I will likely play as the female protagonist just to do something different.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think it's a course correction. I recall the protagonist being male original as well, though not to be confused with the dictators son who apparently is a character but is not the protagonist this time around. To be honest it feels a bit like virtua signaling to capture the demographic while being cowardly about it like they're afraid to alienate their macho audience that would refuse to play as a female protagonist. That said, I think it's a smart move for the long term. Contextually the main characters sex in Far Cry has never really contributed to the story. Making them male was likely just a logistical choice. I will likely play as the female protagonist just to do something different.
Actually I just rewatched that initial trailer, and I was completely wrong. I thought the kid's name was Dani in that trailer, but it's Diego. So yeah it's definitely a different person.

As to them picking Dani, I don't think it's virtue signaling, anymore than Bioware deciding to call Shepherd by their last name in everyone else's audio files, to cut down on duplication is virtue signaling. It's a name like Alex, that can easily be used by basically anyone, so you don't have to double up the audio files for one person named Alex, and another for Steve. It's just efficient design as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care if they make the gender variable in the game or not. As you accurately stated, the gender of the previous characters in the other FC games has zero bearing on the game, because they were silent protagonists. So it doesn't matter one way or the other. And having a voiced character, which I prefer in most cases, well again, if you're going to allow for gender choice, it's just prudent to streamline the naming convention.

As to scaring away their macho audience, well, yeah, I mean there IS a demographic who will act like that. That's not Ubisoft's fault, that they are aware of players who will whine "waaah! I can only be a girl!! You don't get my money! My masculinity is threatened!!" And wanting to account for that in the design. I admit that I prefer to play as male characters, when given the option. But I don't piss and moan in a game like Horizon: ZD, that is female only. It's not a problem for the enjoyment for me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It is gender choice, they are just doing the usual new-Ubi thing now of switching the gender of the protagonist for every trailer.
*shrugs* That's fine, it could be that upon reflection, FemDani had a better performance, so they used that with the newer trailers. Sort of like how a lot of people think FemShep is the better performance for Shepherd. Maybe they decided "MaleDani just doesn't have the charisma we want for a trailer, to drum up interest. So let's use FemDani instead." Which again, that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
*shrugs* That's fine, it could be that upon reflection, FemDani had a better performance, so they used that with the newer trailers. Sort of like how a lot of people think FemShep is the better performance for Shepherd. Maybe they decided "MaleDani just doesn't have the charisma we want for a trailer, to drum up interest. So let's use FemDani instead." Which again, that's fine as far as I'm concerned.
slightly off-topic -
Ive never played Mass effect, for the new trilogy is the female shepherd a better choice?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
slightly off-topic -
Ive never played Mass effect, for the new trilogy is the female shepherd a better choice?
*shrugs* Far as I can tell, they didn't redo the audio lines? You'd have to ask someone who actually looks into those things. From what I've seen from let's plays of the new version, the audio files are the same. I think most people prefer FemShep, because she is voiced by a really famous, and prolific video game voice actress, whose name escapes me currently. I find MaleShep just fine but *shrugs* you know how the internet is about sultry lady voices and obsession with them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jennifer Hale. (MaleShep was Mark Meer.) She's best-known for being in pretty much everything, ever- a female Nolan North, basically.
Yeah her. I honestly don't think her performance in that is any better than MaleShep. I think it's just a case of the gaming community going "urmagurd Jennifer Hale! Lub me!"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah her. I honestly don't think her performance in that is any better than MaleShep. I think it's just a case of the gaming community going "urmagurd Jennifer Hale! Lub me!"
I don't mind her, but I never found myself enamored or going crazy over Hale. Besides, their are many female or male voices in games, anime, or anime games more erotic than her! HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Reactions: happyninja42

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I recall the protagonist being male original as well, though not to be confused with the dictators son who apparently is a character but is not the protagonist this time around.
Well, having seen the character trailer for Dani, I think that she is apart of the dictator's family (again). That "So you're an orphan, huh?" bit and later in the trailer when she is interacting with what looked like a high ranking guard and the son previously mentioned. At least what it looks like to me, though I wonder how they are going to tackle the whole mess they made with 5's ending.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh. Ubisoft.

Was the people that covered up sexual misconduct there held accountable?
They were let go and apparently some investigations happened. Though some are saying very little. Seems like they maybe did more than other companies accused of such have bothered doing.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Some good news guys, it ain't political. :p
Part of that I'd guess was certain games journalists with Far Cry 5 (I think it was Gamespot) were upset that Far Cry 5 wasn't an explicitly "Trump Bad Republicans bad go kill Maga supporters" game and then entirely missed the actual themes and political commentary in and around the game.

E.G. The stuff in Joseph Seed's speech in Inside Eden's Gate

I mean technically in 3 one of the endings has a character on about getting pregnant off the protagonist to give birth to the next generation of fighters for the cause or something. So I'd argue in that one it was maybe a bit more relevant lol.

Actually I just rewatched that initial trailer, and I was completely wrong. I thought the kid's name was Dani in that trailer, but it's Diego. So yeah it's definitely a different person.

As to them picking Dani, I don't think it's virtue signaling, anymore than Bioware deciding to call Shepherd by their last name in everyone else's audio files, to cut down on duplication is virtue signaling. It's a name like Alex, that can easily be used by basically anyone, so you don't have to double up the audio files for one person named Alex, and another for Steve. It's just efficient design as far as I'm concerned.

I don't care if they make the gender variable in the game or not. As you accurately stated, the gender of the previous characters in the other FC games has zero bearing on the game, because they were silent protagonists. So it doesn't matter one way or the other. And having a voiced character, which I prefer in most cases, well again, if you're going to allow for gender choice, it's just prudent to streamline the naming convention.

As to scaring away their macho audience, well, yeah, I mean there IS a demographic who will act like that. That's not Ubisoft's fault, that they are aware of players who will whine "waaah! I can only be a girl!! You don't get my money! My masculinity is threatened!!" And wanting to account for that in the design. I admit that I prefer to play as male characters, when given the option. But I don't piss and moan in a game like Horizon: ZD, that is female only. It's not a problem for the enjoyment for me.
There's also an audience who will do the opposite claiming they'll only buy the game if they "make Zelda a girl"..........(yes some-one on twitter really did say word to that effect and not at all realise it showed how little interest they really had in Legend of Zelda, which was the property it was brought up in context of.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't mind her, but I never found myself enamored or going crazy over Hale. Besides, their are many female or male voices in games, anime, or anime games more erotic than her! HAHAHAHAHAHHA!
Yeah, I just meant the general opinion of a lot of gamers is that they love her. Maybe not in a sexual way, but just, you know, typical nerdy fanboy/girling out about her. I think she's fine as a voice actor, but I don't really know her specifically from anything other than ME. I know she's done tons, but I either didn't play a lot of them, or she just didn't really stand out as noticeable to me.