Far Cry Primal Preview - Stone Age Survival

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Far Cry Primal Preview - Stone Age Survival

Mitch goes hands-on with Far Cry's trip to the Stone Age and walks away the most excited for a Far Cry game since Blood Dragon

Read Full Article

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Dropping a poison bomb and sending a tamed animal sounds cool but it also sounds a lot like the Assassin's Creed Syndicate problem with the grappling gun, or more appropriately, the issue with The Buzzer in Far Cry 4. The Buzzer turned clearing most bases out into a matter of getting the grenade launcher then carpet bombing the place.

It sounds cool, but I feel like the novelty will wear off because unless it specifically adds more gameplay options, like how the take down from above perk did in previous games, it's just replacing gameplay. And based on what you said about the melee combat, that's lacking, which is a damn shame.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Eek, I'm actually sort of disappointed in the direction this is taking.

When I read the original previews, I was sort of hoping the game would stick with the "this is a tough, savage place where everything is trying to kill you" gritty feel, and would also emphasize more of a 'wilderness survival' concept that other Far Cry's sort of ignored (similar to "The Forest"). Now apparently your character has some sort of mystical mumbo-jumbo powers and can control animals. To me, that kills a lot of the "Lone Hunter in a Savage world" feel.

I could accept maybe you acquiring a dog/wolf companion, but that's about the extent of it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ehhhhhhh.

On the one hand, that sounds pretty cool. At the very least I'm happy to see them having a genuine go at mixing things up.

On the other hand, magic animal taming and owls doing bombing runs sounds a bit stupid.

Not pleased with the description of melee combat. Way too many first person games reduce it to walking forward and mashing attack.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Well, I'm excited.

I really dug Far Cry 3, and though many aren't keen on it, the quasi-mystical angle is one of my favorite parts.

Going back to proto-human days seems like the most natural fit for the shamanistic aspects of the game. This game seems like it will let me fully live out my warrior/druid/barbarian fantasy.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
This makes me pretty excited, my favourite parts of Far Cry 4 where Ajay living through that mythical story in the tapestry and a whole game of that would be pretty refreshing instead of weapon and weapon mod collecting.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This game is looking pretty fun. I've always wanted a game where I get to run around as a caveman and do cavemen stuff. Now only if they add dinosaurs, we'd have a GOTY on our hands.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
No Multiplayer? Like at all?

Wow, in this day and age that is mighty rare. Fair play Ubi, Fair play.

I love Farcry 3 and 4, can't wait do an owl bombing run! Sounds stupid, but then an owl carrying a sack of poison and dropping it in a certain area doesn't sound that bad, could be worse and lets face it, Farcry has always done weird shit.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Dalisclock said:
For me, the real question is: Will there be towers and what will you unlock by climbing them?
In some gameplay footage i saw, i saw something that looked like a signal fire, could easily light that to reveal an area of the map, showing what animals are about, and maybe some collectibles like the statues from farcry 3

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
mysecondlife said:
So, its like Skyrim without guns.
What Skyrim have you been playing where there's guns?!

Anyway, I haven't been big on Far Cry (quit around FC2) but this pre-historic angle is enough of a hook to keep me cautiously optimistic about where this might be going. It's sad to read the melee combat isn't very good but that's be expected from first person perspective games.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I really am trying to stay optimistic about this due to the interesting setting, but from what I've seen it doesn't look like they've made good use of it. I was hoping for more of a survival angle that would go well with the setting, but it's looking like an interesting set of wallpaper wrapped around the same old game mechanics. Far Cry 4 already had a bad reputation for being Far Cry 3.5, and it's looking like this will be Far Cry 3.75. The whole "man vs nature" aspect in previous games always felt so shallow no matter how much they play it up in marketing, and it seems we'll once again be killing a very specific number of a very specific animal that appears in a very specific location in order to create each specific piece of gear, with everything else we pick up basically just being junk to sell.

Perhaps they could start by removing the magic stone-age GPS system, or at least removing the enemy blips that give away their locations. Maybe this is just a pet-peeve of mine but I personally don't like tagging systems in games since they make things way too easy and predicable, leaving me to avoid tagging in previous Far Cry games. It would give a nice sense of unpredictability and require players to be more alert if you didn't have psychic powers that allow you to see enemies through walls just because an owl flew overhead. But I don't really mind the optional tagging systems if they can be reasonably avoided, it's the minimap tagging that I hate.

But I liked Far Cry 3 and 4 despite their similarities, so I'll probably still like this, but it'll be a real shame if it does end up being as shallow as the current info seems to suggest.
UberPubert said:
mysecondlife said:
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

yamy

Slayer of Hot Dogs
Aug 2, 2010
UberPubert said:
mysecondlife said:

Anyway, I haven't been big on Far Cry (quit around FC2) but this pre-historic angle is enough of a hook to keep me cautiously optimistic about where this might be going. It's sad to read the melee combat isn't very good but that's be expected from first person perspective games.
The modding community says hi. See here [https://www.google.com.hk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi10tKOrsnJAhXFH5QKHbQiBTMQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fmods%2F26605%2F&usg=AFQjCNFEllQX-usdtwEzDlLIT-XpWnmyag]

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. It looks interesting enough and if they can get the bow combat good enough I can see myself enjoying it.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Dalisclock said:
For me, the real question is: Will there be towers and what will you unlock by climbing them?
According to the preview, there are no towers. You discover stuff as you walk around and reveal what's in the fog of war.

OT: Um...okay. I did not expect the series to take this turn. I'm actually kind of excited about this. I haven't played a good caveman game since...ever, actually.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
yamy said:
The modding community says hi.
FirstNameLastName said:
If mods count for gameplay features now, we might as well toss in Pregnancy, MachoMan Dragons, and lightsabers.

"It's like Skyrim but without...uh...anything you could possibly imagine."

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
This work of fiction was designed, developed, and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths, beliefs, and time periods.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
UberPubert said:
yamy said:
The modding community says hi.
FirstNameLastName said:
If mods count for gameplay features now, we might as well toss in Pregnancy, MachoMan Dragons, and lightsabers.

"It's like Skyrim but without...uh...anything you could possibly imagine."
I wasn't actually referring to mods, nor was the person who originally posted the comment. The "like Skyrim without guns" joke is a reference to an over used meme that I thought people would have been exposed to by now, since I seem to see it everywhere to refer to pretty much any open-world game.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
FirstNameLastName said:
I wasn't actually referring to mods, nor was the person who originally posted the comment. The "like Skyrim without guns" joke is a reference to an over used meme that I thought people would have been exposed to by now, since I seem to see it everywhere to refer to pretty much any open-world game.
Ah, okay. Never seen it anywhere.