Farcebook and the escapist

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
sky14kemea said:
I never use Facebook to comment on things around here... I like to keep that separate.
Same as Sky, I like to keep the two seperate, unless I'm linking the Escapist for an article on my facebook. I also have a few Escapists on facebook and photos from UK Escapisms, that's the only real crossover.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Whilst I never use Facebook to comment on things here, I know you're able to just comment as a user if you click on a link under any video/article/whatever.

It was only the beginning of last year that I got an account...it may be off topi, but now I wonder how I ever functioned without it (not literally, it's just made communication and organising things a thousand times easier).

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I love Facebook, but find having two comments sections frustrating, and so disabled the Facebook one.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I hate going on Facebook. its always the same comments and the same thing every time. Its horrible.
Anyway as has been said click on the red Comments button.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I don't have a facebook account because I think this social networking thing is narcississtic bullshit, but my laptop seems to be permanantly logged into my brother's one. I could totally destroy his social life if I chose to do so.

I don't know what you're on about seeing as you can comment on things without facebook. The only thing I find slightly annoying is that, like on youtube, if I make the mistake of scrolling down too far and reading the comments I am exposed to the most inane bullshit since facebook users are exempt from the low content rules and also they're twats.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I'm sorry, you are exagerating, or you're just misinformed.

And you're never the only one, but you knew that I'm sure.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't mind, I can comment without my facebook account.
I have an account ut a few friends of mine don't, you're never alone.
Except if you can use the force, then maybe you are....

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I have it disabled but I hate how every fucking thing on other sites and such always want to link into fb. I don't want every detail of my online activity putting on there .

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I like having Facebook as a hub for my activities. Maybe it's because I never do anything that I don't mind other people knowing about, who knows.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Facebook and the Escapist are always the first two tabs I open whenever I'm on the internet. I have both the accounts linked, but I rarely do anything like comment on things through Facebook.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
rob_simple said:
I like having Facebook as a hub for my activities. Maybe it's because I never do anything that I don't mind other people knowing about, who knows.
I have nothing specific to hide, I just don't see that my gaming interests are anybody else's business. If they really want to know, they can ask.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
TehCookie said:
Profile > Forum Options > set facebook comments to disable.
^ New favourite person.

Enforced social interaction is just unwelcome peer pressure grouping.
Agreed. I only have a Facebook account for the updates to my Martial Arts club and never use it for anything else.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Flames66 said:
rob_simple said:
I have nothing specific to hide, I just don't see that my gaming interests are anybody else's business. If they really want to know, they can ask.
Point taken, I just go the opposite way of if people don't want to know about my gaming interests they can block my updates.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
As a recent facebook refugee, I am saddened that the Facebook comments feature so prominently at the bottom of each video - whereas the Escapist's own comments are behind a link.

It is obvious that some people use the facebook comments by the fact that their posts exist - but the majority of the comments are on the Escapist's own forums.. so why does a minority opinion have such elevated visibility? The fact that I can see some facebook user's opinion before my fellow escapists seems wrong to me.

But the worst part is, I have to go in and switch it off if I don't want to see it.. this is what made me leave facebook - having to pro-actively disable features which I didn't want, which were implemented without notice and (unlike the escapist) often infringed upon my privacy.

If links to social networks are to be the norm, then please embed similar features for Google+ as I trust them a whole lot more than Zuckerberg and his lot.

Rah! Rant over - hopefully it made sense. Viva la Escapist!

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
ascorbius said:
As a recent facebook refugee, I am saddened that the Facebook comments feature so prominently
Makes perfect sense to me. Let's face it, due to the lack of anonymity, most Facebook comments are way more mature and insightful than what Escapist users have to say. When people are forced to put their face and name to something, they tend to not comment unless they actually have something worthwhile to say.

(ducks)

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
BonsaiK said:
ascorbius said:
As a recent facebook refugee, I am saddened that the Facebook comments feature so prominently
Makes perfect sense to me. Let's face it, due to the lack of anonymity, most Facebook comments are way more mature and insightful than what Escapist users have to say. When people are forced to put their face and name to something, they tend to not comment unless they actually have something worthwhile to say.

(ducks)
I'm afraid that I have to disagree - there's nothing stopping someone from creating a facebook profile specifically for trolling.

Facebook users are no better than our own Escapist community members so their voices shouldn't be heard over everyone else's.

On top of that, I personally do not want to associate my personal Facebook account with any site at all. I do not want my escapist comments data mined by Facebook to give someone even more knowledge about me.

Remember, posts are searchable for years after they are made. You don't want them to be associated with you when you're running for President or going for your dream job. Anonymity is your best and most underrated friend.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
You're the only person irritated by it because you're only person whose not pressed the Comments link which is under every video and article.

And you can turn the FB comments off... somewhere. I know I have.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
rob_simple said:
Flames66 said:
rob_simple said:
Point taken, I just go the opposite way of if people don't want to know about my gaming interests they can block my updates.
Fair enough. I'm generally a private person.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TehCookie said:
Profile > Forum Options > set facebook comments to disable.
^ New favourite person.

Enforced social interaction is just unwelcome peer pressure grouping.
Why thank you, you're making me blush.